The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For instance, I have had 2 people at work, while in a discussion about the Elise/Exige, say they are pieces of crap and are so unreliable among other things. I usually won't argue with them because I don't want to drop to their level of stupidity.

Anyone else have instances like this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup, all the time. I believe there are two major categories of car enthusiasts. There is a category of car enthusiasts that appreciate a car for what it is. We tend to appreciate the engineering behind any particular vehicle.

Then there is the category that only follows what's "popular" or new. They feel the need to put down other vehicles as their favorite is the best in the world and in history.

For instance, if i'm having a conversation with enthusiast A. We'll admire what the Elise/Exige has accomplished. The beauty of the design, the driving experience, and of course the value of what you're getting.

Whereas with enthusiast B, if I mention the Elise. Their only comment is "The GTR is way faster and better. There's nothing that can beat a GTR"

In reality though, these are two completely different cars that are meant for different purposes. They're on difference price points, they set out to achieve different goals. At any rate, it's pointless to even engage the conversation. It's just not worth it...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yup, all the time. I believe there are two major categories of car enthusiasts. There is a category of car enthusiasts that appreciate a car for what it is. We tend to appreciate the engineering behind any particular vehicle.

Then there is the category that only follows what's "popular" or new. They feel the need to put down other vehicles as their favorite is the best in the world and in history.

For instance, if i'm having a conversation with enthusiast A. We'll admire what the Elise/Exige has accomplished. The beauty of the design, the driving experience, and of course the value of what you're getting.

Whereas with enthusiast B, if I mention the Elise. Their only comment is "The GTR is way faster and better. There's nothing that can beat a GTR"

In reality though, these are two completely different cars that are meant for different purposes. They're on difference price points, they set out to achieve different goals. At any rate, it's pointless to even engage the conversation. It's just not worth it...
I will agree to this 99.99% I know you said the GTR just as an example, but you can throw in any number of performance cars with good reason. Over the years there are many cars that can be just as capable but with creature comforts. If you look at it from that angle, our cars "aren't as good". Again, you'll have to take each and ever platform for what it is and what it's intended for.

·
Registered
663 Posts
For instance, I have had 2 people at work, while in a discussion about the Elise/Exige, say they are pieces of crap and are so unreliable among other things. I usually won't argue with them because I don't want to drop to their level of stupidity.

Anyone else have instances like this?
This is probably the same type of person that goes and jumps in their Chevy Uplander or Dodge Caravan because they wanted "reliable family transportation" ...

:thwack:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hear it all the time from customers at work. They never suspect its my car so when I correct them on all their "facts" they just assume I have a profound knowledge of all cars. Its not always negative though.

Last night for example I overheard someone telling his buddies

"I would never waste 200k on a car like that"

Me: "Its 30"

Him: "30k??? That is a badass machine for 30! I may just have to get one for myself!"

I shortened the story but that is the gist of it. He never found out it was mine.

I always try to turn those situations into a positive for lotus. If they are just being a dick for the sake a being a dick, i don't bother saying anything. If however, they are genuinely misinformed, then I will try to teach them a little bit about the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
Given the history of British sports cars, including Lotus, I would cut them some slack for assuming that they may not be very reliable. They're wrong, of course, but it's probably a fair assumption :).

·
Registered
685 Posts

What he said :shrug:

:UK:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I love all sweet cars for what they are. I'm not going to bad talk any cool car. And I never say negative stuff about a car if I don't know what I'm talking about. I remember when the S2000 first came out, I had a Vette at the time and I was at a autocross and the other "Vette owners" where taking **** about the S2000. I was like it has as much HP as my Vette and it handles just as good or better, why are you guys talking ****?

I love a GTR for what it is, but I'll never buy one it weights almost twice what the Elise does and I can't miss gears, I want a manual.

If I was going to get a flappy paddle gear shift car it would have to be a Aventador or a 458 nothing else, I don't even think I would get a Veyron if I could afford one, too much car and I can't manually shift it. But it's a crazy cool car.

:UK:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I was having a bit of insomnia at the time, and I drove through a rural coastal city about an hour away at 2am.
I pulled into a 7-11 to grab a quick drink, go back to my car and drive off.
30 seconds later, I get pulled over. Apparently, I forgot to put my headlights on.
Understandable, I haven't had to 'turn on' headlights for any cars the past 10 years as they all had auto headlight sensors, and the Exige Daytime Running Light IS basically the headlight as 'turning on the headlights' only turn on the exterior lights(brakes, side markers, etc).
feck..
So after the whole lic/reg and the standard stuff, he asks about the car. What's the horsepower in that thing, How fast does it go, how much is the car? To which I replied: 240hp, 150mph and $75,000.
He says "You bought the wrong car". :DV:
I didn't say anything.

Well, what am I supposed to say to my captors at the time? Well, sir it actually does 0-60 in 4 seconds flat!. It also weighs more than a third less than most other cars! The wings actually work!
I didn't think pulling a one-upsmanship and escalating the situation was prudent. :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Threads like this can simply be chalked up to the golden rule. ~90% of people in this world are complete and utter morons. Once you learn to accept that, stuff like this doesn't get to you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.