The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Starlight Black 111R Elise, but those bright metal 'studs' (I found out they are called fasteners and/or grommets) on the front of the car, well, I thought the car would look much better if they were color-coded to the rest of the car.

So I ended up making my own replacement fasteners in Starlight Black.

Whilst I was making them I thought maybe others might want them too so I have listed two colors on Ebay as below:

Starlight black
Lotus Elise Exige Bodywork B93 Starlight Black Front Access Panel Grommet | eBay

and Titanium
Lotus Elise Exige Bodywork B62 Titanium Front Access Panel Grommet | eBay

Would you want them if I made them in any another color? I might try a pair of gold ones on my car to see what it looks like :cool: .

Let me know.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What kind of cost are you looking for these? I assume most of the cost would be from getting the paint? Might be interested in graphite gray.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Call me crazy, but why didn't you just paint the stock parts instead? I had painted mine lime green but I didn't like it so I put them back to chrome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did first try painting the existing Fasteners but I found:

1) The Fasteners still looked the same - with the exposed screw head, I wanted something flat accross the top to really improve appearance.

2) Using touch-up paint wasn't giving me 'factory-finish'.

3) When I screwed the fastener down I would damage the paint on the inside recess of the grommet, which you could see and didn't look very good.

4) It was easy to chip off the paint on the screw when screwing it down.

So I managed to find the nylon equivalant of the Lotus grommet, which I prep'd and airbrushed with original bodywork paint color and clear. I also did the same to a screw cap to cover the top of the screw.

- - - -

It's raining now, when it clears up I'll put the car on the driveway and take some pics to post.

As for price, I don't know what people will pay so I started it off at 99c on ebay. I have to work out a fixed-price for other paint colors and will let you know.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Aren't the same fasteners used for the side scoops on the exige? Mine look the same but havent compared yet. I might be interested in a set of british racing green or possibly black

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Had mine powdercoated for a few dollars - definitely better than the silver...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took some photos as you can see.

Notice on the close-up that the screw head is a little higher than the grommet, leaving a small gap. I did this on purpose because it was important to let the screw cap sit as firmly as possible on the screw. If the cap was in contact with the grommet the cap did not sit so tightly on the screw head.

I worked out a price. Remember I'm using 3 coats of DuPont ChromaBase or Standox mixed to Lotus Specs. + 3 coats of Clear.

$3.75 per pair in any color you like.
Plus mailing and packing per order of $2.50 in the USA and $3.50 to Europe.

Message me if you want some. They'll take about a week to make.

Now I'm thinking about making some fluorescent pink ones for my car next . . .

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts