41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
"You're right, though." >>> I know. I have proof :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Although mine is an Elise, I paid $37,450 from a private sale in April '08. Car had 7k miles...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Really? I dont know anyone who paid close to $39,900...u must be an extremely talented negotiator. I stilll have my original window sticker and let's say that in order to win that "Price is Right" segment, you woulda had to know the first digit was a "5". From June 2005.

The difference is options of course, and i've never seen an 05 w/o any options, although I'm sure they exist somewhere. :)

$22,000 of $50,000 is 44%...over 3 years. The $39,900 mark was just a starting point.

I don't think all options should be factored into depreciation either because many are personal preference and therefore only of value to the original buyer, not the resale market. Paint colors are common examples of this....

Did you pay mark-up? I don't think mark-up should be factored into depreciation for these cars either.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
$22,000 of $50,000 is 44%...over 3 years. The $39,900 mark was just a starting point.

I don't think all options should be factored into depreciation either because many are personal preference and therefore only of value to the original buyer, not the resale market. Paint colors are common examples of this....

Did you pay mark-up? I don't think mark-up should be factored into depreciation for these cars either.
I won't disagree with you on most of your post. Options probably should be factored in - no different than any other used car in that respect, IMO. Mark-up is on the seller - the cost of being the first on your block. But the market will pay what the market will pay on either account.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Hey Ken - I ran into a PCA/Chesapeake member yesterday at Rita's Shaved Ice in Sykesville. Scott? Nice guy. Rumor is already getting around PCA though on your recent Lotus defection. Just "FYI".... -poke-
You must have met Scott Eckels.. I like Scott... Defection? I still own 4 Porsches and only 2 Lotus? I wouldn't call that a defection, more like a distraction... Besides, I don't own a Porsche that can keep up with either Lotus...

Well, I'm the proud owner of a Exige S-240 Persian Blue... I brought it home and put it in my stable this evening... Friggin' Cub Scout garage now - Saffron Yellow Elise and Persian Blue Exige... I was good on the way home although very tempted to open it up... I was amazed at the number of people with camera phones taking pictures of the car on the ride back :rolleyes:

Resale value? I'm not sure why we're even having the discussion... It's like rolling the dice... When I bought my Shelby GT-350 for $5900 in 1974 do you think I had any idea then what it would be worth... But then, there time came when driving the car, devalued the car, so now the fun is gone; at least for me... I held onto that car for 32 years then sold it, never driving it and keeping it in concours condition... I'm almost 60 now, I love to drive and want to enjoy my cars and who knows for how much longer I'll be able to do that... I don't give a rats ass about resale value... All that matters to me is whether or not the car gives me a thrill when I drive it... :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
You must have met Scott Eckels.. I like Scott... Defection? I still own 4 Porsches and only 2 Lotus? I wouldn't call that a defection, more like a distraction... Besides, I don't own a Porsche that can keep up with either Lotus...

Well, I'm the proud owner of a Exige S-240 Persian Blue... I brought it home and put it in my stable this evening... Friggin' Cub Scout garage now - Saffron Yellow Elise and Persian Blue Exige... I was good on the way home although very tempted to open it up... I was amazed at the number of people with camera phones taking pictures of the car on the ride back :rolleyes:
Take it, and the California to the Home Depot in Eldersburg Saturday night!!!

Congrats, Ken!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
bull30 said:
I was amazed at the number of people with camera phones taking pictures of the car on the ride back :rolleyes:
Heh, get used to it! Someone shouted at me from the parking lot of a Peet's Coffee (I was at a light), "Hey is that a Lotus or a Tesla?" I replied back, "Lotus" with a big grin. He shouts "Cool, Tesla uses the same platform right?". I replied with a "Yep!" and the sound of my exhaust the Tesla can't replicate. rotfl

·
Registered
431 Posts
Resale value? I'm not sure why we're even having the discussion... It's like rolling the dice... When I bought my Shelby GT-350 for $5900 in 1974 do you think I had any idea then what it would be worth... But then, there time came when driving the car, devalued the car, so now the fun is gone; at least for me... I held onto that car for 32 years then sold it, never driving it and keeping it in concours condition... I'm almost 60 now, I love to drive and want to enjoy my cars and who knows for how much longer I'll be able to do that... I don't give a rats ass about resale value... All that matters to me is whether or not the car gives me a thrill when I drive it... :popcorn:
+1

Congrats, enjoy and just drive the piss out of it :clap: :shift:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
PERSIAN!!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
40%? Not even close :p
The MSRP for an '05 was $39,900...and the lowest '05s go for is about, $28k? $27k? That's about 30% in 3 years.
Hmm, I may be wrong, not an expert. I do see people listing pics on their '05 window stickers and the list looks more like $48k-54k with the 'usual' options. These cars go for around $33k now. That's about a 40% loss. Maybe I am missing something. :shrug:

Three more years and the boy racers will be picking up the first models and putting neon and flares on them. That is just a fact.

I see the best compromise is to buy a used model by a couple years from a private party. Like an Exige S that would have cost $69k list to be 'first in line' for $40-$45k a year from now. That has to be accurate since dealers are asking $50k new already.

I have friends that work 9-5s so the can pay their largest expense outside of their mortgage - a new car every year - just crazy. If you are rich and can blow cash, then why not? Go for it. :bow:

·
Registered
431 Posts
To use $39K as an MSRP on a 2005 would not be accurate because that was base up until early '05 when the factory allowed some cars to go through because of price protection (order cars only), then base jumped to $42,990.

Realistically, '05's were coming in between $46K-$48K and would definiitely go higher but it'd be loaded and below $46K was rare only because customers and dealers would not order that low.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'd dare suggest that Lotus profit margins on these cars are close to the same profit margins Porsche enjoy (who happen to lead the field in profit margins).

But the bottom line is that Lotus need to sell A LOT of these cars to stay in business and grow. And that ultimately is a good thing for us buyers even if the car's resale value is horrible. I never bought my Lotus Exige S thinking it would become a collectors car or that it was an "investment". I got it for the following reasons:

1. Performance
2. Price
3. MPG
4. Exotic looks even if not really an exotic

My number one question I get is "how much did that cost" -- of course I never give the actual answer (after mods I'm not really sure myself)...

Now adding the ForcedFed PowerPak has elevated into "SuperCar" performance, the NAV/DVD setup elevated it into "Exotic", when the RAC monolites arrive at my home, I'm hoping it will be enough to make it appear a true exotic at less than 1/2 or a 1/3 of the price of an exotic.

But the best compliments are those that come to me and say "that's my dream car you have" -- and this happens more than just once or twice, it happens A LOT. But ever since I install the NAV/DVD, I no longer get "is that a kit car comments" -- go figure?

I enjoy this car so much, that I plan to ship this car to Europe and drive a big loop all the way from Scotland to Zurich (down to NICE, thru Italy) and back again and ship it back home to the US. It maybe a few years before I can actually do this, but I've started the planning stages already.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't quite understand this reasoning; LSD would be an asset, especially on a track or during autocross, unless you like squirly one-tire burnouts on turn exit....:shrug: If anything it'd be more appropriate on a track car vs. a street car, where you're pushing the handling limits of the car regularly.....
+1

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Well, I'm the proud owner of a Exige S-240 Persian Blue... I brought it home and put it in my stable this evening...

:clap: Great news!!! Enjoy that car it is a great driving machine!

:up:

·
Registered
80 Posts
So now that you have picked up both, how does the Exige compare to the Elise? Mostly interested in your feelings wrt no rear-view mirror and the more usable power/torque? I know that you haven't broken it in yet, but is the Exige everything you were looking for?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts