The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an Alpine backup camera to my kenwood kvt. The alpine instructions say to power the camera module using the reverse tail light signal, but that's not what I want! I want the module to have "constant" power even when not in reverse.

The kenwood has a reverse switch which is wired to the reverse lights so when I put the car in reverse, the kenwood knows to automatically switch to the camera.

But I want to be able to switch to the camera even when I"m not in reverse and to be able to do that, the camera module needs "constant" power.

Can I just tap right to the battery or will that drain the battery when the car is turned off?

Where else can I get a constant power that powers the module any time the car is fired on?

Thanks!

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Yes it will drain the battery, what you need is an ignition or an accessory wire. If you *really* don't want to run one you could use the parking light wire, then the camera is active whenever you switch the lights on, sorta ghetto but quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am certain the ECU has a signal which goes hot when the key is on, like the line which powers up the fuel pump.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! 2 quick replies in a matter of minutes. thanks guys.

So is there an ignition or accessory lead somewhere in the trunk?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Most of the ecu wires are negative 12v triggers.
The power to the fuel pump comes from a fuse in the rear cabin via a relay.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hooked mine into the tail lights since I always drive with my lights on to avoid being ran over.
I use mine as a rear view mirror this way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alrightttt. seems like tapping into my tail lights and alwaysss driving with my lights on may be a smart habit and the best idea.

Which light/wire exactly would I tap into? and on which part of which harness?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't recall the exact wire I can take a photo once the wifey gets back from the gym but I just turned on the lights and used a wire tester to find the pos and neg wires. I know for sure it is the outside tail light.
As soon as I get the photo I will post it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK, I used the left outer tail light that has a small wire loom between the light and main loom. It is the red and black wires on the main wire loom (I have a wireless set up so use the side that is closest to where the loom exits the trunk area if you are using a hard wire set up).
The pick is kind of crappy so enlarge and it looks wired but I popped out the pins and connected straight to the pins of the connector instead of tapping the very thin wires of my camera pos and neg hook ups.
Hope it helps.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1351141412.316933.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have another dumb question...

From the camera module, I split the "power" wire... I was thinking I could have 1 power signal going to the reverse like the module says (if my lights are off but I put it in reverse, i'll have camera) and one line going into the constant power (if I remember to have my lights on, I can toggle to the rear camera display at any time).

Then I was thinking, if I put my lights on, then put it in reverse, it'll be sending "2" power signals to the module through the split I did.

Could that blow the fuse or have any other negative affect on the module?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It might make some unwanted circuitry. I would recommend finding a nice clean positive signal to your camera source to keep it on constantly.

I was going to do this to my camera but my backup camera has such a crappy range I decided against bothering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts