The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarassed to admit it, but I don't know where the Lotus factory is! I mean, I hear many different names associated with its location: Norwich, Norfolk, and Hethel. Their website lists Lotus' address as:

Group Lotus Plc_
Potash Lane
Hethel
Norwich
Norfolk NR14 8EZ
United Kingdom

So, could someone explain what these all are? Hethel seems to be the city, that's easy. What are Norwich and Norfolk? Provinces, regions, counties, something along those lines?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Norwich is a city. Hethel is probably a village (never been there). Norfolk is the county. NR14 8EZ is the post code. United Kingdom is a set of countries.

I forget the exact definitions, but I think it goes something like this :

Village - No shops (other than a pub). A church. Not many people living there.

Town - Shops. A church. Quite a few people living there.

City - Shops. A cathedral, or a university and church. Lots of people living there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Probably.

When I lived in England, I was in a village called Great Amwell. It has a population of less than 2000 people. So we would use "Near Ware" in the address (as Ware is a town that is a little easier to find and very close to Great Amwell (2 miles)).

Not really an answer, but hopefully it'll help you understand our logic :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gromit is almost right, although villages do have shops. Villages are just a lot smaller than towns. They can vary in size from a handful of residents to a few thousand. I grew up in a village that was bigger than the 'town' that my mother now lives in. Her town is technically a town but everyone calls it a village cos it's so small. It got the official 'town' status as it used to hold a market. :)

Hethel is near Norwich. It's not exactly a suburb, but Norwich is used in the address as it's the nearest major city.

Norfolk is the county that Norwich is in. Counties are like states, I suppose. They each have their own councils, and their own police force, although they don't have their own laws like states do. They all share the national laws.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh, and when you get into big cities (like London, Manchester, Nottingham, etc.) you then have boroughs of those cities, much like New York has it's separate boroughs. I live in Acton, which is an area in the Borough of Ealing, which is in London. London is a city in the county of Greater London. Confused?! :p

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
leave london going north, turn right, if you get to the water you went too far.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not confusing enough yet!

girlracer said:
Oh, and when you get into big cities (like London, Manchester, Nottingham, etc.) you then have boroughs of those cities, much like New York has it's separate boroughs. I live in Acton, which is an area in the Borough of Ealing, which is in London. London is a city in the county of Greater London. Confused?! :p
Keep going! Now try to explain what the "City of London" is...:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nottingham ?!?! I think you miss heard someone.

They didn't say "Nottingham is a city".

They said "Nottingham is sh1tty."

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gromit said:
Nottingham ?!?! I think you miss heard someone.

They didn't say "Nottingham is a city".

They said "Nottingham is sh1tty."
Hey careful Gromit, that's my hometown you're talking about.... although you're right of course! :p

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I was at Lotus three weeks ago, let me tell you it is in the middle of crop lands, nothing is aound it! But yes the business cads have Hethel, Norwich. But to answer your questins Matt all the stuff you list is in fact the factory location. By the way the gift shop is worth the trip, great stuff!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Re: Not confusing enough yet!

roadrunner said:
Keep going! Now try to explain what the "City of London" is...:)
An overpriced hell hole! :)

Technically, 'City Of London' (or 'The City') is just another London borough. It's the very most central one though, London's financial and historical core.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
“I'd do well in a camp or settlement or township, but that don't make me a camp or settlement or township type.” —Charlie Utter, Deadwood, South Dakota, 1876

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
The story on how Chapman purchased this old airbase in the middle of farmland was revealed at the 2002 West Coast Lotus Meet where one of the guests was ex-Team Lotus driver, Mike McKee. Mike was brought up in the Norwich area and the story goes (from the GGLC's report of the 2002 WCLM)...

<i>"Perhaps the best story came from Mike McKee, who even after his retirement from Team Lotus maintained a close relationship with Colin. He was living in the Norfolk area and received a call from Chapman who said was on his way up to look at some property in Norfolk to put a factory for Lotus. McKee made a few calls and arranged for Chapman to fly and land on a friend’s newly purchased farm, which was formerly a British airfield in Hethel.

After a day of fruitless searching and visits to various properties, Chapman was climbing back into his plane and McKee pointed out that this “farm” with these runways and old hangers might be the “perfect” location for his new factory. Chapman agreed and McKee had a word with the owner the next day and soon the Lotus factory had a new home in Hethel! McKee argued with the new owner that these runways and old hangers would get in the way of making the land a good farm and so an agreement was struck!"</i>

Speaking of anchedotes... Patrick Peal ex-PR Manager & ex-son-in-law of Colin & Hazel shared this humorous story the same evening...

<i>"Seems that Chapman had gotten close to a hydroplane boat maker just up the coast from Hethel. He invited a number of F1 drivers to go boating and had arranged for Emerson Fittipaldi to get a drive in one of these hydros. The “drive” was to take place on a nearby river. Emmo jumped in and proceeded to haul down the river at break-neck speed. Unfortunately no one had told him of the speed limit and he flew past a police boat. The immediate reaction of the police was to motor to the middle of the river fully expecting to see the crazy man in the hydro to return and blocked the channel. Chapman seeing this motored up to the police boat to watch the ensuing fuss. Up comes Emmo at speed, slams the hydro in reverse and motors up to the police boat where upon one of the Bobbies asks Emmo for his name. “Emerson Fittipaldi”, says the hydro driver. Whereupon one of the Bobbies retorts, “Sure, and I’m Mario Andretti!” To which a voice from Chapman’s boat proclaims, “That’s my name!”</i>

Kiyoshi

P.S. Mike has an art studio in Monaco with a lot of racing and car art.

·
Registered
389 Posts
BrianK said:
Nottingham... isn't that where Robin Hood did his thing?
Yep. Or more correctly, Nottinghamshire, which is the county where Nottingham is. I grew up in a village in Sherwood Forest which is Robin Hood's stomping ground. I lost count of the number of little wooden bows and arrows with suckers on the end I got through, not to mention the little green felt hats with a feather in them. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts