The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so im a huge admirer and i've loved elises for the better part of about 8 years. i have a few questions about owning a lotus, that i have already asked a dealership rep, but i got answers that i expected, no problems, so, im asking you, lotus owners to help me out.

1. where did you buy your lotus?
2. how were the salesmen? did you test drive?
3. did you custom order your lotus and was it easy?
4. is gas mileage really 30+ mpg?
5. is the maintenance costly?
6. can you drive an elise everyday? (if i bought one i would want to)
7. what is insurance like? expensive?
8. premium, touring pack, worth it? does the sound system upgrade come with a bass? (I'm big into music)
9. any problems/issues with your lotus that you didnt think of before buying?
10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance)

any other advise that you have to offer that i cant think of right now would be greatly appreciated! :shift:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
1. Lotus of Durham, even though I'm in Texas, local dealer didnt have the color I wanted.

2. Sales was great and I test drove at the local dealer.

3. Purchased off the lot

4. If you stay out of the throttle you can easily get 30mpg on the freeway.

5. Maintenance is cheaper than a BMW so its not to bad.

6. You can drive it every day if you like, but a second car comes in mighty handy.

7. Insurance is cheap for me, but Im 38 and have no tickets on my record.

8. I would say touring pack is worth it, but to each there own. No bass at all in the elise/exige, easily the worst stereo system Ive heard in any car including cars Ive owned from the 1970's.

9. No problems, I researched the car for several months before purchase so I knew what I was getting into.

10. Dealer is a good place for maintenance depending on your location.

Hey, so im a huge admirer and i've loved elises for the better part of about 8 years. i have a few questions about owning a lotus, that i have already asked a dealership rep, but i got answers that i expected, no problems, so, im asking you, lotus owners to help me out.

8. premium, touring pack, worth it? does the sound system upgrade come with a bass? (I'm big into music)
10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance)

any other advise that you have to offer that i cant think of right now would be greatly appreciated! :shift:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Lotus of Austin.

The salesguy sucked. Yes, several cars.

No.

On the highway, yes. I get 26 or so combined.

is the maintenance costly?
It can be, if you use the dealer.

I do and love it.

$1200 per year. I'm 38, too, with no tickets or accidents.

Forget it. Just forget it. I think the Touring Pack is a waste of money, but I do want leather seats.

None.

Your garage. The car is pretty simple. Plan on doing oil changes, etc. at home. The dealer will rape you and you probably don't want to trust anyone else.

It is best described as a hobbiest's car. Buy it, do your own maintenance and plan on taking it to the autocross or the track. If you have another car, get the Sport Pack on the Lotus.

Also, keep in mind that repairs are very expensive. Minor fender benders will be high dollar excursions, and may take a lot of time. It is a $40k car, but pretend it cost $80k.

It is an "affordable exotic". The keyword is "exotic".

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
1. HRM
2. Nice guy, bought an exige, test drove an elise
3. Bought one they had on the lot
4. You're prob not getting 30mpg if you're having fun driving it. Gets good gas mileage though
5. You can do the simple stuff yourself. I you do your oil changes at the dealer then yes. No $19.95 oil changes here.
6. I wouldn't take it and parallel park it. Wouldn't take it to the store. I drive it to work but not in the snow.
7. I paid less for the Exige and a 993 than a lot of people pay for 1 car. so no
8. Sound system sucks but the engine sounds awesome. If you dig music it's not the car for that. Some people put in systems but kind of defeats the purpose of the car. but thats just my opinion. plenty of people have
9. not really, has been a good reliable car. but i've only driven 7500 miles in 2 years of ownership. Depreciation sucks, but if you buy used you're getting a deal
10. I take it to HRM for anything I can't do myself. I miss the days of Nial, he was very personable. Mark and his partner have always been great.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lotus of Portland

Very nice and knowledgeable at LoP. I did go for a test drive. They drove first and then let me drive it. That was the point of no return for me. Don't even consider buying one until you've driven one, or at a minimum go for a ride in one. This car isn't for everyone.

I bought it out of their inventory, but it had exactly the color and options I wanted.

Depends on how you drive. If you drive nice, then yes, you can get really good mileage. I tend to get bad mileage regularly. :evil:

I do the routine stuff myself and it doesn't cost much. Maintenance through the dealership is spendy, but I've found that they do a good job. For instance, my windshield replacement cost about $1400 (covered by insurance).

You can, but I don't. I only bring it out on nice weather days. So here in Oregon, it sits in the garage quite a bit in the rainy winter.

For me it is pretty close to the same as my newer F150 (boat puller). That said, the policies are not really that similar...

Touring pack is totally worth it. The sound system sucks and the car itself is loud. I'm big on music too but I've adapted to a lower quality of sound in the Elise. The hardtop is absolutely worth it. I now wish I had purchased a car with the sport pack considering that I autocross it.

The tops leaks. See point 6 above.

Gran Tourismo (the Ferrari dealership in east Portland) provides the service for Lotus of Portland. They do a good job there but be prepared for higher service costs than you'd pay for most "normal" cars. Outside of the scheduled maintenance for first and second checkups and warranty stuff, you can do it all yourself. The car is mostly pretty easy to work on.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

4> Yes - depending on your foot.

5> fairly easy

6> In oregon I would probably suggest an extra set of tires since it so wet much of the year - Probably suggest a narrower wet set, which you might be able to put on 15/16 rims - then get a set of 16/17 for sticker tyres at a later time.
I don't know where in Oregon you are but I would probably think that the car is not brilliant in snow - so it might be wise to have a beater, or use the bus when days are bad.
How long is your commute?
Visibility from the perspective of other drivers would be a possible concern too.

8> I would suggest ear plug for long drives - I use sensaphonics and an ipod.
You will want to pull over to change tunes though !!!
I would forget the touring pack for sound - it probably helps, but this is not a car for sound, rather for driving.

9> visibility looking out is not too stellar out-and-back.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
All great questions.....none of them have ever been discussed here before.....

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
weird.... the answer to questions 1-10 is:

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
377 Posts
1. MotoCorsa in Portland

2. I knew what I wanted - didn't test drive.

3. No, got a good deal on Exige S w/o track pack. Added harness bar and shocks.

4. 31 open road to Aspen last summer - but much lower with spirited or track driving.

5. I do all my own maintenance. Dealer is ok, but I live 150 miles away and I don't need to pay a Ferrarri mechanic to change my oil.

6. In Bend I can't because of temperature (A048s don't like to be below freezing) and the crap they put on our roads in the winter. Portland or the Willamette Valley might be ok. Parking, however, is a hassle. This car is invisible to big pickups and SUVs when parallel parked.

7. Yes, and I suspect that if you are young and have a couple of tickets it would be very high - check first.

8. If you like good fidelity in your music, this is not the car for you. Loti are drivers' cars and make no concessions to music. There is very little sound deadening and, except when you are cruising, you are paying more attention to the mechanical music that your car is making and what other drivers are doing around you.

9. No, but I expected a race car that had been barely tamed for the street, and that is what I got. This is not an Audi.

10. My experience with MotoCorso is ok. They are a part of Ron Tonkin Gran Tourismo, so the mechanics are Ferrarri trained, but the labor rates are high. My experience is that even modern Loti are a lot more like earlier generations of sports cars in that they demand almost constant maintenance and attention and respond better to owners who like to and feel comfortable performing routine maintenance. You will also get the mod bug, and installing your own mods is a lot of fun.

Got to go now, I'm installing DA Ohlins today . . .

Good luck.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
1. where did you buy your lotus? I found it in a barn
2. how were the salesmen? did you test drive? they smelled - see above
3. did you custom order your lotus and was it easy? just the optional TV monitors in the headrests
4. is gas mileage really 30+ mpg? only if you install a "tornado" - search "Ridgemanron"
5. is the maintenance costly? you can save some $$ if you let Jiffy Lube do the oil changes, and go to your local Goodyear shop for tire changes and rotating the tires.
6. can you drive an elise everyday? (if i bought one i would want to) - as long as you dont drive in the rain
7. what is insurance like? expensive?no, just be sure you tell them you plan on tracking the car
8. premium, touring pack, worth it? does the sound system upgrade come with a bass? (I'm big into music) fish is optional
9. any problems/issues with your lotus that you didnt think of before buying?I didnt put enough thought into what color to buy
10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance) Hass motors is worth the trip
:evil:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

Star Motor Cars..Houston

Past and present very good. I drove a German spec Rover model, as well as the Fed 111r

I ordered in Feb. 02,but did not take initial delivery .They had one on the floor that matched what I wanted. I wasn't too picky (Saff Yellow..no hard top)

No idea. Only drive 1 mile to work.

Suprisingly not. Everything is DIY on the car. Now I track the car a lot,so it does go thru lots of tires/pads/rotors which arent cheap.

Yep

Average

Have no idea. I pulled the stereo out of the car years ago.

Surprisingly not. This is not like the Lotus cars of yesteryear. Almost like a sporty Toyota, although there have been exceptions,the car can be driven anywhere without concerns of catastrophic failure like older models.

10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance).

Vary between DIY,and maybe a Race shop,and dealer for warranty work.

·
Registered
664 Posts
answers

a
07 Exige S here

1. where did you buy your lotus? - person to person.
2. how were the salesmen? did you test drive? - see above
3. did you custom order your lotus and was it easy? - ^
4. is gas mileage really 30+ mpg? - Not even close. But does it matter? If it does -> toyota.com
5. is the maintenance costly? - Depends where u take it
6. can you drive an elise everyday? You can, but you dont want to. Shouldnt be the ONLY car.
7. what is insurance like? expensive? - $1200 year. 26yo, tickets, no accidents
8. premium, touring pack, worth it? does the sound system upgrade come with a bass? (I'm big into music) Touring is a waste. And i pulled out my stereo the next day.
9. any problems/issues with your lotus that you didnt think of before buying? - small things here and there. As expected. Fun to work on.
10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance) Gotta do as much as you can yourself.

:shift:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Everyone else answered most of the stuff. I personally use my Exige as my daily and only vehicle, but I have the wifes car too and can go in late to work pretty much whenever. But here is a bit more info if you were considering this as your only vehicle.

1. If something breaks under warranty the dealer does not have to give you a loaner.
2. They have 30 days to fix the problem, again no loaner.
3. If you buy used make sure you have all service records and proof that all required maint. was done. Lotus will not pay warranty claims if they don't have to.

Even with all that though it's worth it for me. Was the same price as my Nissan Armada, insurance is cheaper than the Armada, and even though I don't get 30mpg (i like 2nd cam too much) I have yet to be able to get it under 20. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Glad you got some good answers from some good people, not just the advice to search,,,,,,,,

Good luck with getting a Lotus.

·
Registered
890 Posts
1. Lotus of Greenwich (aka Hunting Ridge Motors)
2. Mark Starr is a gentleman and a class act. Yes, I did test drive both with Hunting Ridge and with a few friends who have the Elise.
3. HRM has so many different cars, mine happened to be an inventory stock that has every option I wanted.
4. Yes if you drive like a minivan. I average between 25-29 MPG.
5. Compare to a Ferrari the maintenance is CHEAP. Compare to a Toyota, it's expensive.
6. If you live in So Cal, yes you can drive it everyday. If you get the A048 tire, I don't recommend driving it in heavy snow and heavy rain, simple due to the tire tread.
7. I'm 33 with clean record and I'm in New York (high insurance state) and I pay about $1,200 on this car - but I'm also on a multi-car policy and this car is NOT my daily driver per policy.
8. Get the Sports Pack & Touring Pack (I have LSS, but I find it rather annoying since I don't autocross). Sound System is weak period - whatever the radio it comes with, get an aftermarket one.
9. I knew exact what I was getting myself into - it's not a Camry, it's handbuilt so things will need a tweaking. But it's not a Mechanic's delight either.
10. You are on your own. Don't know anyone in Oregon.

Good luck and drive it like how it's meant to be driven.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY OWN A LOTUS
How 'bout people who lease them, or are just driving them till they pay off there loan and actually own them?

·
Registered
157 Posts

All from private parties

Salesmen? Fellow Lotus owners you mean. Test drove 2 of 3

How do you order a used car?

Cat is 25-28, M100 is 34-36, Europa was 28-29 if you short shift

What is costly?

No I don't own a Lotus Elise, didn't want to hear from "Lotus" Owners. But I can drive any of mine daily if I wanted.

Less than my truck, VW, Viper, more than my 62 Chrysler

Touring Pack? Sound system. We are talking Lotus right?

Nope.

My Garage.

any other advise that you have to offer that i cant think of right now would be greatly appreciated!

You must remeber there are more than just Elise/Exgie Lotus out there. And this is now Lotus Talk. (I have been around since Elise Talk, so I know.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Gran Prix Imports
AMAZING. they finished up the paperwork in less than 20 minutes. Never seen that in my life. Got to test drive it and was told to get on the gas. Also he gave me advice on driving manual because it had been 2 years since I last drove one
Negatory
Not with a turbo
When u spin and hit a guardrail, YES
Yes, just make sure you know how the car acts and how to properly react. I knew how to correct spins and fish tails in regular cars and larger vehicles, but this is a whole new beast.
Cheaper than my 03 Auto Sentra. I think I pay like 2200 a year and I am 24. Had a clean record until the little spin out incident, so my rates will most likely be going up. YIPEEE
Bring a boom box with you
Research, Research, and Research. I was on here a little more than a year before I got mine and it was smart. I knew what I was getting into but I am still learning more and more
10. best place to take your lotus for maintenance? (im in portland, oregon, but i would gladly take advice about places in washington, if its the best, im willing to drive the distance) I am sure Gran Prix can do maintenance for you. They are like 15 minutes south of Portland and do work on ferraris, porsches, and lambos. I am not sure if they still go by that name of Lambo of Portland. They have a top notch staff :
:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts