The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I have a 2-11 that I use for track days. I can't keep one of the cv joint boots from coming off. It must be building pressure inside. Could this be from heat? If so, how do you shield it? If not heat, what could cause it?

I even took the whole axle assembly off my Exige which had which worked fine on the track for five years and it popped after two sessions at Mid-Ohio.

It's the inside boot on the passenger side. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, qz5gxt! I did try the Red Line product - which didn't leak, but it just built up pressure until it popped the boot off.

I never had this problem with my Exige which was only slightly slower. Why do you think the slicks are a contributing factor? I know I must be missing something here.

Thanks again for the help and your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I use redline also and still get leaks on the drivers side in the summer. Quick fix.....8-10 wraps of suran wrap and zip ties. Works good. Learned this trick watching IMSA teams do the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Rickard,

I feel your pain! Last year I also had successive blow outs of axle boots on my 2-Eleven. Always the left outside boot. Quite the mess each time. I tried rebuilding and went as far as ordering one from a well known Lotus racing supplier. No luck. It blew out during the first session. Then I found Krugspeed in Mamaroneck, NY. He's a Lotus racer shop, not a parts supplier. His business is servicing customer cars and racing his own. The owner doesn't usually do this work and have customers do their own installs, but made an exception given my tale of woe. They rebuilt my axle with their racing parts and it has been flawless for over 1,000 track miles. It wasn't cheap but considering the flawless track miles since, it was well worth the cost Call Alex at 561-706-3967 and tell him Lotushack sent you. I have no affiliation, I'm just a happy customer. Hope this info helps keeps you on track!!!

Stay Tuned!
David

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I have started to have problems with the inside passenger side, too. It seems to be related to MPH. It didn't start till I started going faster. Tried clamping it tighter but it still pucked grease. Was going to try a different clamp style.

Later,
Eldon

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
This is common and some of tricks have been mentioned...

The stock grease is now old to begin with, so it's time to change it--- no different than engine oil...

1) Do NOT simply repack. You need to disassemble the joints and clean all the old stuff out. The outers are simple knock offs. Easy. The carrier bearing is simple circlip. Easier.

2) When repacking, only fill the "caged" area. you should not be lubricating the boot area. Takes a fair bit of grease...

3) Use Redline CV-2 or if you're really pushing it, Krytox 215/217. The latter is $250 grease... For affordable grease, I find the CV-2 to be better than the rest and MUCH better than OE grease.

4) We carry a good quality boot in the event you need new (on our website)....

5) Take heavy duty Reynolds plastic wrap to the track. If you boil the grease, it will keep on boiling until it's replaced per above. Wrap the boot area with the plastic wrap in the opposite direction of the axle rotation to keep the wrap tight on the axle... 10-15 wraps should be fine...

Hope that helps,

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts