The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, lotus says it cant withstand america and our sun, but I want my alcantera. Guess there are no hot places in europe... The rumors people have posted say lotus will not be using the material here in the usa, only cloth and leather. Neither of which grip anywhere near as well as an alcantera covered seat. Leather is great, but definitely is suboptimal on a hard turn without 6point belts...

Anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
237 Posts
NO ALCANTeRA???

WHAT!!!!

ksjfslfjhsl;dj BMW offers it and nothing is wrong with it...

i want it!!!

damn we have to beg lotus for another option..

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I suppose you can always look aftermarket once the car arrives. But really, alcantara isn't the best material in the world, especially for steering wheels. It was designed to be used as a fabric, so it is very smooth, unlike suede, which provides far more grip for tactile surfaces. I for one, will not miss it.

Consider that surfaces inside a sedan do not get the sun exposure that the interiors in the Elise will get with the top off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had alcantera in my s4. Worked great, even with the terrible seats audi gave us here in the USA. While it can "wear down" a bit, if you clean it and "brush" the material, it stays almost new for a very, very long time.

Scot

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Elise S1 Sport 160 seats are Alcantara

I upgraded my S1 to have the Sport 160 seats, and I love them. They are black, channeled backrests and a (more thickly) padded blue alcantara base cushion.

After almost two years and 16,000 miles of Californian weather they are still in great condition.

Cheers

(p.s. to save you asking I have a Sun International/Honda engine conversion which is CA registered)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Has anyone heard an update about the alcantera? If no alcantera what will be on the dash?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How about order the standard leather/cloth seats, and then bring it to a shop to re-do the upholstery of the cloth portion. This way, we can have any fabric that we want.

Now, assuming if the world is the osyter (and we are not talking about cheap oyster sauce from China here), what fabric would one choose? and for our raman crowd, how much do you think this will cost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts