The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new back injury which will most likely lead to surgery #3

This causes me Great Concern.

With my back fused now I can barely get into my Elise now. I think it’s going to be nearly impossible with an additional fusion.

Here’s where I need everyone’s help. At one time there were Gull-Wing roofs made for the Elise - see this link

Hunting Ridge Motors: Lotus Elise Gullwing Hardtop

If I can find a roof like this I will be able to keep a car I dearly love. I have spent a furtune getting it just about perfect and not this - ahhhhh

If you know of anyone who is using a roof like this ask them if they would consider selling it.

If YOU have one - I would REALLY like to make you an offer to buy it.

Thanks everyone for your help....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Or, have the spring loaded part moved to the opposite side of your soft top. Then just unroll the soft top roof from the driver's side and climb in. Roll it back and click it in place. Moving the spring to the opposite side will make it less likely to tear up your roof gasket when you undo the roof from the driver's side. This is a far less costly option.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
this may sound a bit crazy, but if you can't find one, i wonder if you can retrofit a full one...like cut in half, etc etc...make something custom for yourself. granted, it'd be a lot of work and research in finding the right solution, but it may be worth it over you not being able to use your car...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Or, have the spring loaded part moved to the opposite side of your soft top. Then just unroll the soft top roof from the driver's side and climb in. Roll it back and click it in place. Moving the spring to the opposite side will make it less likely to tear up your roof gasket when you undo the roof from the driver's side. This is a far less costly option.
The guy I bought one of my Elise's from was way overweight and totally sedantary....the only way he could get in and out of his elise was to release his soft top as you suggest...

Although, not sure what you mean by the spring loaded part moved to opposite side...both sides are spring loaded. He just reached up, pulled back the mechanism on the driver's side, partially unrolled the top, got and, rolled it back.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am talking about the small cylinder (about 2.5 inches long, 1/2 inch diameter) which has a spring loaded cable tensioner. The tensioner is on the driver's side. It tends to eat the rubber seal under the soft top if the roof is loosened and tightend from the driver's side, which is why the manual for the car states to undo the roof from the passenger side. Moving the tensioner to the passenger's side will make it to where the driver's side can be undone and latched without risking the roof seal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you can find one of those made in England gullwing tops just be advised that they're pieces of junk in fit, finish, and function as delivered. I saw one in '05 that needed more money in fixing it than it cost, so hopefully you'll find one that's already been fixed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes -

Thanks for all the comments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Run a soft top and just undo one side when exiting.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
I just wanted to wish you luck both on your recovery and your solution for entering and exiting the Elise. As an option, a custom shop should be able to fabricate a gull wing system for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts