The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I'm not gonna be happy with the Elise. I'm gonna put a hardtop and LSS on it, but it will never be an Exige. If and when the Exige hits our shores I'm going to feel like an ass for getting the Elise, and I'm probably gonna take a loss selling it after 6-12 months to then get the Exige. So what should I do? Should I get my deposit back and wait it out for an Exige, or should I take this as the best alternative for now and gamble on the loss? I think I'd certainly be happier with the Elise than anything else available right now. I don't want a track-only car, because I want to be able to drive it on weekends, too. Please give me advice.

PS - I decided to get a new pickup truck as my next vehicle. I'm hoping to move before the Elise (or whatever) gets here, so I'll have enough parking for both the truck and it. This way, I'll have something with a towing hitch that I can lug the car around with (I'll probably be taking it up to Atlanta a bit) and not put too many miles on it.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,115 Posts
Steve,

Get the Elise. Sell it when the Exige arrives. That's what I'm likely to do.

I doubt you'll get jacked when you flip the Elise. The car will have good resale - maybe even amazing resale value.

I think this wait is causing many of us to start thinking crazy! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm still unclear as to what the difference is going to be between the Elise and the Exige (other than the visual).

Is there a good comparison site?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Bit of a tough call. First we don't know if the Exige is coming. Yeah most likely it will but when? My guess 1.5 years or more after the Elise. Most likely it would have to a step up meaning SC or some other means of more power. Then there's price, maybe another $10K? Handling, it will have the edge in high speed stuff other wise in line with the Elise with LSS.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Genjuro said:
I'm still unclear as to what the difference is going to be between the Elise and the Exige (other than the visual).

Is there a good comparison site?

Thanks.
If the Exige comes over, as I understand it, it will not be the same Exige that is sold now which is very similar to the US car with LSS and added splitter, wing, and bolted on hardtop.

If the Exige comes over, I expect it will have more hp (and a much higher price).

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've done a lot of impulsive stuff in my life, but I'm happy to say that I've almost grown out of it.

I think you're making a good decision if you're truly not going to be happy with the Elise (because the Exige is what you want). I would expect the Exige to come to the U.S. The only problem could be the time-frame and the exemption of the bumpers, etc.

But you know what -- you could probably bring over an Exige anyway and register it with MVA as an Elise. Who's going to know?

Back to the point:

If you need to move, don't tie up all of your money in a car. I have a lot tied up in cars and I probably can't get a bigger mortgage unless I sell some stuff off. It's stupid that I'd need to sell 2 cars so that I can then get a house with a 3-4 car garage -- but then I'd only have 2 cars and wouldn't need the extra space.

Fortunately, I have a 3 year plan. I passed on the Elise because it didn't fit my life right now. If I bought that car, I'd have to sell it whenever I intend to move. I won't buy an Elise knowing that I'll have to sell it -- too much depreciation for me to swallow.

So I bought the S2000 as a 2-3 year car. When I go to buy a new house in a couple of years, I'll sell it, sell off another car, put big $$ down on the house and then get a home equity line to buy myself a Boxster S Coupe or an Exige or something else to replace the sacraficial lambs.

Point is -- you need to have your priorities in order. Get the trophy case before you get the trophies. It would be stupid to have to sell the trophies off so that you can afford the case!

Make a plan. Stick to it. Get the house... wait for the Exige.

That's my vote.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Well, I guess it's been established that you can take the roof off of both so that's not an issue. Judging from past sales numbers, I would think that the chances of Lotus bringing the Exige to the US are about 50/50 right now. The volumes are miniscule even by Lotus standards. I could'nt imagine opting out of the Elise right now for even a possible future Exige so I would say get the Elise, enjoy it and sell it when/if it comes here. You're in a great market for selling a car like the Elise and it's doubtfull you would get hurt much on the sale if at all.

Just get the Elise- at least you know it's definitely coming.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wait until the Exige comes? What if the world ends by then? ;)

Seriously, you already have a spot in line for the Elise, and there's not enough info on the Exige yet. I think it will come, especially if people start putting deposits on it (money talks), but like others said, it's a matter of when.

You could probably just do a 3 year lease on the Elise, and then you won't have any committments at the end of the Elise. Since residual will probably be high, lease payment would probably be low. Most of all, you won't have to worry if it holds it value or not.

If you choose to buy, you could keep it for a year or two and watch Elise values. You'd probably have to sell a few months before the Exige arrives, since some Elise owners will trade-in.

Lastly, you mentioned you wanted a car you could drive everyday. I'm pretty sure the Elise w/ hard top will do that better than the Exige. I think the main difference is a stiffer suspension and a roll cage. Also, based on the Exige v. Apache video, the Exige has a more unfinished race car look and less visibility from the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Randy Chase said:
If the Exige comes over, as I understand it, it will not be the same Exige that is sold now which is very similar to the US car with LSS and added splitter, wing, and bolted on hardtop.

If the Exige comes over, I expect it will have more hp (and a much higher price).
The key word here is "IF" and yes that's a BIG "IF"
You must go with what you know, not what you hope. The Elise is coming. The Exige may never be sold here. What's better the Elise or no Elise and no Exige?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Tough choice.

An Elise in the hand is worth two Exiges in the bush.

However, if you are that determined to buy an Exige, you should be prepared to lose a lot of money if you end up selling a 2- or 3-year old Elise. That's how it works with the vast majority of cars. People may think that the Elise will be different and really hold its value, but I really doubt it.

As others have said, it's a big if as to whether and when the Exige will be sold here. And who knows what it will look like at that point or what it will cost. A lot of what ifs to deal with vs owning a great car right now.

Personally, I don't see the big difference between an Elise with a hardtop and an Exige, except that the Elise looks better and can be turned into a convertible.

·
Registered
394 Posts
transio said:
Here's the deal. I'm not gonna be happy with the Elise. I'm gonna put a hardtop and LSS on it, but it will never be an Exige. If and when the Exige hits our shores I'm going to feel like an ass for getting the Elise, and I'm probably gonna take a loss selling it after 6-12 months to then get the Exige. So what should I do? Should I get my deposit back and wait it out for an Exige, or should I take this as the best alternative for now and gamble on the loss? I think I'd certainly be happier with the Elise than anything else available right now. I don't want a track-only car, because I want to be able to drive it on weekends, too. Please give me advice.

PS - I decided to get a new pickup truck as my next vehicle. I'm hoping to move before the Elise (or whatever) gets here, so I'll have enough parking for both the truck and it. This way, I'll have something with a towing hitch that I can lug the car around with (I'll probably be taking it up to Atlanta a bit) and not put too many miles on it.
I will place money that someone will be making a great carbon fibre front end from the exige that will mount right to your elise! I would also bet, that a wing of similar design will be made also, just need to find a good way to mount it...

Id get an elise, if the exige gets here in the states, sell the elise and get an Exige, heck, ya only live once, and 2 years with out an elise when you could have had one is too long to me personally.

Adam p

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: I need your help

Adam P said:
I will place money that someone will be making a great carbon fibre front end from the exige that will mount right to your elise!
As for looks, I like the hardtop, the slantback, and the cleaner-looking rear-end of the Exige. I also prefer stiffer suspension. The "body roll problems" that have been noted worry me. If I could get an Exige rear-clam, stiffer ride, and more HP down the road, I'd be happy with an elise, I guess.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I need your help

transio said:
If I could get an Exige rear-clam
Need to balance the wing downforce with the front splitter, so add the front clam too.

Swappping the clams is usually not a problem though. Was done on several S1 Elises to put motorsport clams on them.

Who knows.. Perhaps some enterprising individual will be doing Exige clams in Carbon-Fibre after a while..

, stiffer ride,
Exige suspension is probably 99% the same as the S2 LSS. Perhaps a tad different spring rates, but looking at the S1 exige it won't be an earth-shattering difference.

But in that case I guess you'd be happier with a 3rd party solution that you can get in any required spring/damper rate anyway.

The Exige (especially the S2 version) remains a road-car primarily.

and more HP down the road, I'd be happy with an elise, I guess.
That simply depends on the available Toyota engine tuning options.

The Exige and Elise are pretty much identical, they just have slightly different 'coats' to wear.

Do what feels right, but the Elise/Exige is all about driving experience and the difference between them is small.

The difference between an Elise/Exige and driving an 'ordinary' car is huuuuuuge...

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
transio said:
Here's the deal. I'm not gonna be happy with the Elise.
well that's all that matters.

don't buy one then.

so what car are you going to buy instead to make you happy?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: I need your help

atyclb said:
so what car are you going to buy instead to make you happy?
A pickup truck :D

Let's put it this way... I would be happy with the Elise if the Exige were not coming here. Knowing that the Exige will come here will make me unhappy with the Elise, though.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

transio said:

Let's put it this way... I would be happy with the Elise if the Exige were not coming here. Knowing that the Exige will come here will make me unhappy with the Elise, though.
You don't "know" that the Exige will be coming here. A lot can change over time. So tell yourself that the Exige isn't coming here and be happy with an Elise.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

transio said:

Sounds like you have not yet learned the secret of being content in any and every situation

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
There's nothing wrong with wanting more guys, but really, the Exige as it stands today is not too different from the Elise other than looks. For it to be really worth waiting Steve, you would have to get the Exige with a motorsports suspension and it would have to come with more power. Otherwise, the rest of us would have had a year of enjoyment and we would have good basis for recommending mods such as Robert Puertas's penske shock package. But...are you sure you need more than the sport pack already? Considering what you have owned and the other cars you are considering it seems very strange indeed, however that is your business entirely. Maybe you should just get the Viper now and wait for the Exige.

New Rendezvous DVD contest for how many times Steve can change his mind before buying a Lotus? :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Given the fluid nature of Lotus USA, and the "replacement" of Arnie Johnson changing the dynamics of the past, I wouldn't bank on anything. Given the delays and frustrations with the Elise...1.5 years in Lotus years could mean 2009.

I'd take delivery of the Elise and just sell if you don't like it...you may even make a profit if you sell it in the right areas of the country.

Dave

1 - 20 of 39 Posts