The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just wanted to share a photo of my calipers on my 2005 Starlight Black Elise. I couldn't stand the flat grey tone from the factory, so $19.99 later plus some time I am all set! I wanted something that looked class. Not too flashy, but nice. I went with gloss black with gold lettering on the Lotus script. Just curious what people have done to their cars brakes/calipers?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks! The hardest part of the job was taking the wheels off. I really enjoyed doing this though. Now the car looks a little better too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice. I never considered black, I like it. You should have did mine at the same time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks great. :clap:
I'm planning on doing mine, just haven't had time to get it done.
Did you did the rear wheels as well?
How did you do the lettering?

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Your entire car looks great!
I love that your wheel bolts are not all blemmed too.

This is such perfect timing.
I want to powdercoat my calipers but am not sure how to prep them to best protect the cylinders from the process so I have been considering painting but am not sure which paint would be heat and brake dust resistant. I am thinking that brake dust is very corrosive, but please correct me and recommend the best rattle-can brand paint to use!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Looks great. Looks clean and OEM which is what I like!

Out of curiosity do you track your car at all? I always wondered how aftermarket painted calipers hold up to the extreme heat.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Looks great.

Also, I like the time warp of that photo. Late 80's two tone Thunderbird in the background.

Remember those?

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great. :clap:
I'm planning on doing mine, just haven't had time to get it done.
Did you did the rear wheels as well?
How did you do the lettering?
I did the rear as well, but they are so small and plain that there isn't much to see on those. I used gold metallic model enamel for the Lotus raised letters. Use a small brush and trace along the raised letters. You can always touch up the edges of the letters if you blob the paint with a very small paint brush and more caliper paint. Have fun!
Ps I applied the gold while the black was still curing. I hope this helps the gold to bond well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your entire car looks great!
I love that your wheel bolts are not all blemmed too.

This is such perfect timing.
I want to powdercoat my calipers but am not sure how to prep them to best protect the cylinders from the process so I have been considering painting but am not sure which paint would be heat and brake dust resistant. I am thinking that brake dust is very corrosive, but please correct me and recommend the best rattle-can brand paint to use!
I have done my calipers on a couple of Porsches that I owned and I used a spray caliper paint once and a brushed on caliper paint once. Both were purchased at the local parts store. I recommend the brushed on paint kit $19.99. No overspray and it is really easy to apply. On my Porsches it held up very well. If it ever needs touched up I have a ton of leftover paint in my kit still. I have seen expensive caliper paint kits, but the cheap kit at O'reilly's has worked well for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great. Looks clean and OEM which is what I like!

Out of curiosity do you track your car at all? I always wondered how aftermarket painted calipers hold up to the extreme heat.
I have not tracked the car, but I will be trying to heat the brakes up soon:)
Also, when you have the wheels off, it is a good idea to clean and wax the inside and outside of the wheels. My wheels dust up very badly so I hope this will help make them easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is high temperature caliper paint available. My son painted the calipers red on his Mini Cooper S and they turned out fantastic. He used the G2 Caliper kit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Those look nice as does your car. Very clean, I'm wanting to paint mine too, but I'm going to do a yellow to contrast with my metallic green.

I'll probably get a G2 kit as well. I've read some good things about them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 40 Posts