The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Is that a Zenos? If so, interesting cars. IIRC, they use a Ecoboost four cylinder from the Mustang/Focus?

Premium Member
Congrats! I'm also in AZ and would love to take a closer look at a Zenos if you bring it out to an event in the future. I've never seen one in person.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! As I recall, they were designed with easy-to-replace body panels should you wreck at the track.
Hopefully they are just as cheap if you wreck on the street.
I intend to be somewhat careful. At some point those "cheap" body panels will be hard to find I think.

Registered
Hopefully they are just as cheap if you wreck on the street.
I intend to be somewhat careful. At some point those "cheap" body panels will be hard to find I think.
Especially since I thought Zenos went bankrupt?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
They did.
AC Cars bought them but they do not appear to have any interest moving forward with any production etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Most parts are sourced from other cars. The lights, stuff like that. Still lots of parts around and of course the drivetrain is Ford.

Administrator
2010 Exige S260
Congrats! is it street legal? BTW that's a beautiful house

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats! is it street legal? BTW that's a beautiful house
Yep, street legal!
Its titled in Indiana and I just need to register it in AZ.
AZ is pretty good though, they will register side by sides for street use. You know, those cool off road vehicles made by Can-Am and others.
Thanks for the kudos on the new house. Im looking at the mountains in the back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Some early driving impressions....
I only have about 100 miles on her, the car itself has about 1800 miles.
I guess at this point I can only confirm what most folks might already know...
Yes, its quick, great steering feel. Steering is not too heavy nor too light. Very responsive to steering inputs and transitions. Maybe not as tail happy as the Elise but until i flog it I cant be certain. (Finesse probably isn't one of my strong points though...working on it.)
I haven't driven an Elise in a very long time but if memory serves it is similar in feel to my 2005 Elise except 200 lbs lighter and about 60 more horsepower.
Brake feel is not this cars strong point. Not much modulation but I guess you get used to it. Disappointing really when you consider the rest of the car. Does it stop the car? Yes, but I would put it at the bottom of my list of the cool cars I have owned.
Acceleration is a bit frenetic in the first 2 gears. Great power to weight ratio coupled with short gearing sees to that.
First gear revs out at about 42mph, second gear im shifting at about 62mph (thereabouts). Again, reminds me of the Elise. The Zenos would benefit from a little taller gearing but thats me. Fun on the street as it keeps you very involved, which is what I wanted.
Turbo. Is there lag? Not that I can tell. There is a difference between turbo lag and just a small engine. I dont detect turbo lag. It actually ramps up pretty smooth and linear.
The sound. Tough one for me. Im usually not a turbo fan boy, in fact I prefer naturally aspirated engines and if I have to go forced induction I prefer superchargers. That said it sounds like a hurricane is chasing you the whole time. The car is very loud on the gas but the loudness comes not from the engine or exhaust it comes from the turbo. Some will love that. Yes, its loud.
Fit and finish. Build quality isn't bad but it is "kit car-ish." Body panels fit together pretty well but you do get some rattling from the engine cover over bumpy terrain. I think I can fix that easily enough but its not such a big deal really.
The interior is very spartan. Seats are pretty small and not really comfortable for extended drives but it is manageable.
The shifter action is pretty good for a cable shifter. Gas and clutch feel is good. Seats do not adjust, you adjust the pedals to the driver. (An arduous task) The routine to start the car is like a circus act. Press this button to turn on the cut off switch, press this button on the key fob, then press the starter button twice. I can do without all that really. At that point just give me a regular ignition.
The cockpit is well insulated from wind but the downside to that is the cockpit could become a little warm. Ill be looking for an aeroscreen which is basically a windshield delete piece.
The car has an odyssey battery which I will probably replace. They always sound kinda weak to me.
The car is very fun to drive and you can have fun at reasonably sane street speeds.
Oh, and so far no leaks!

Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
I've never had an Odyssey battery I didn't learn to hate.

San

Registered
Thanks for the driving review. I was disappointed they didn't sell a few thousand units. Cool cars!

Premium Member
So, neither a top nor A/C? Or, for us in NE, heat?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts