The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked next to a beat up Isuzu Impulse that looked to be from the late 80's-early 90's. On the front corner panel there was a badge that read "Handling by Lotus".

I guess you folks who are Lotus enthusiasts may have already known about this, but I just thought it was the strangest thing seeing that badge on an Isuzu.

I dug up a pic on a google search--this is what the car looked like, but in burgundy.

You can barely make out the rectangular badge.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
When Lotus was owned by GM they did a LOT of engineering work for the General, including the Vette ZR1 engine. Lotus did a lot of work for Isuzu in the area of suspension and thus the Impulse got the "Handling by Lotus" badge.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lotus does lots of engineering work for other manufacturers. It's just that most manufacturers don't put the plates on the sides of the cars tell people that...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I read a stastic somewhere that at one point in time in the not so distant past, Lotus had input on over 50% of all engines sold in Europe.

Also, Lotus did the handling for the Impulse for a number of years (even the first body style in the mid 80's). I believe their main change was to introduce anti-roll bars that went to the opposite corner as well as the opposite side.

... and, as I'm sure is know, the Elan came with an Izusu engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts