The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was minding my own business, driving home, when suddenly I saw this Jaguar XJ220 on the back of a truck. Being the consummate car nut, I followed them and they were unloading the car. Seems the owner, who was there, had recently purchased it for his collection. I stuck gold, he took me to his two warehouses and showed me his other cars. I think today I died and went to heaven.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Very cool but moving thread...

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, I think it is stunning and here is another angle. The only disappointment was the sound from the twin turbo V6. However the owner told me he had it up to 175mph in the blink of an eye.
Cool post....the 220 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
The only disappointment was the sound from the twin turbo V6.
That was one of the big problems with the car. It was very fast (fastest supercar pre McLaren F1) and stunningly beautiful and the engine was based on an IMSA GTP race engine IIRC. Unfortunately it came out in a weak economy and many buiyers with deposits would not take the cars once they heard the uninspiring engine sound, or at least used that as an excuse. I think that doomed the XJ220 in the marketplace forever. Shame because it's a very capable supercar and IMO, the prettiest of them all (but I've always been a sucker for Jaguar curvy styling).

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree and would add that it was originally supposed to be "all wheel drive" and a V12. Many customers who put down a large deposit and found out about the changes wanted their money back.
Check out this Top Gear video.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcouF2MfsDY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcouF2MfsDY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The Jag is a beautiful car. The building that is now Lotus of Beverly Hills used to have two in it's showroom. I always wondered how you ever parked. The cars are really long and I can't imagine the view out the back is very good. But regardless I think I actually started drooling on the car it was so beautiful.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My God, that Pantera looks immaculate. Love that machine. My biggest regret in life was not jumping at the chance to purchase a beautiful Pantera back in 2000 when a I met a guy who desperately needed to move it. I foolishly was burning my money on a BMW 850i at the time. I could kill myself for letting that car slip away.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Michael:

Was this warehouse in Boca?

I know that Steve with the Blue Lotus said he was somewhere around Delray and he saw a car go into a warehosue area and the person had a few buildings with cars stored in them. Wonder if it was the same place.

A friend of mine owns a place in Boca called the Carcierage and he stores cars for people in a warehouse, wonder if this could have been where you were.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I know a guy here in the Bay Area that owns a XJ220. I almost fell on the floor the first time I found out. :D He's also a Lotus guy (not on these boards though) and owned 2 Elises at one point. He still has an Elise and the XJ220 among other extremely nice cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts