The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Rock Island Grand Prix. If you guys have never tried driving or racing a proper 2 stroke race kart, I highly recommend it. They are faster than anything I've personally driven including my Lotus Exige S and Formula Mazdas.

Here's some on board footage of me racing in the TAG Masters feature race:

YouTube - Rock Island Grand Prix 2008 TAG Masters part 1

YouTube - Rock Island Grand Prix 2008 TAG Masters part 2

Note: The footage is played back at actual speeds (up to 95mph on the front straight for TAG and 105mph for Shifters) and is not sped up in any way.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Woohoo, nothing like the smell of two stroke in the mornin' Bel ray, castrol R it's all good! Thanks for the footage, this looks like a blast!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hey Rick, I was working Turn #2 both days. Wish I could have raced it but was having technical issues with my kart. Not too many incidents in 2 this year. It is a great event, isn't it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rick, I was working Turn #2 both days. Wish I could have raced it but was having technical issues with my kart. Not too many incidents in 2 this year. It is a great event, isn't it?
Hi Jim. Yeah there weren't that many incidents in T2 this year. I think I only saw 3 TAG guys back it up in to the wall there. But there was a pretty bad looking incident in T3 during one of the practices. I came around and a guy was laid out on the track. Apparently, he over rotated around the corner and another kart coming around the corner nailed him. At least there weren't guys running across the track with stretchers during the race this year!

It's too bad you couldn't race! What was wrong with your kart?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It's too bad you couldn't race! What was wrong with your kart?
Bad fuel, wrong oil, fuel lines, filter, diaphragm of fuel pump all petrified. Cleaned it all out and replaced the contaminated fuel and petrified parts, still acts like it's burning way rich, will only run with the throttle body wide open and air cleaner off. WTF:shrug:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad fuel, wrong oil, fuel lines, filter, diaphragm of fuel pump all petrified. Cleaned it all out and replaced the contaminated fuel and petrified parts, still acts like it's burning way rich, will only run with the throttle body wide open and air cleaner off. WTF:shrug:
Carb rebuild perhaps? :shrug: Oh and you're supposed to clean out the power valve all the time too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts