The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, my computer slowed down big time. I used my "restore cds" to wipe out and reload the laptop's o.s. After about 7 reloads, I finally got it, however, my computer's still very slow. But here's the really weird thing.

1) When I try to open my Norton Antivirus, the program closes;
2) When I try to download AOL's Macfee's Safety and Security Center (which is what I had on my computer before it slowed down a week ago), the window closes.
3) If I try to do a search in Google via Firefox for the word "virus", "firewall", "spyware", that Firefox application closes.

So, does it sound like something malicious on my computer? Alternatively, I originally thought it may have just been a deteriorating hard drive.

·
Registered
960 Posts
And spend 3x as much money for the same performance. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :shrug:
Not. First, the price of a Mac is not 3X of a comparable PC. Second, include in all the "hassle" factors, i.e. time spent on dealing with viruses, and the Mac is LESS expensive.

Of course we all know the Mac vs PC debate is one of the oldest.... So I know I won't convince you and vice versa. ;)

Q

·
0 Posts
3 ways to defend yourself.

1. Run AVG Antivirus FREE edition
2. Run Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware, or Microsoft Windows Defender (All FREE)
3. Make sure you have a firewall on your router (doesn't hurt to have Windows firewall on either)

Bonus tip, be smart about what you download, click on, etc.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not. First, the price of a Mac is not 3X of a comparable PC. Second, include in all the "hassle" factors, i.e. time spent on dealing with viruses, and the Mac is LESS expensive.

Of course we all know the Mac vs PC debate is one of the oldest.... So I know I won't convince you and vice versa. ;)
I can hack a mac in less than a minute. The only reason people think it is safe is because they like to tell you it is. :shrug:

The real truth is that the sampling is too small for people to care much.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sounds pretty hosed.

Step 1: back up all the Data to DVD or a removable hard drive.

Step 2: Format the hard drive

Step 3: Partition the hard drive into two partitions (C: and D: - I'd recommend splitting the drive 40/60 in terms of size)

Step 4: Install WinXP on C:

Step 5: Create an additional user to use, preferrably just a plain old "user" account, not an Administrator account. Use this account 90% of the time... you should not use an Admin account to browse the Internet (it's not foolproof, but keeps alot of sh*t off the computer):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive-by_download

Step 6: Move all users "My Documents" folder to D:\some directory. (You basically log-in as each user and then right-click "My Documents" and set the location to the D:\somedir). Make sure you save all your stuff there

Now the next time the computer takes a sh*t you can just wipe C and re-install. Then your data is still all there on D all happy (you may have to login as an Admin and take ownership over all the folders you moved "My Documents" to and then re-assign them to the new owners, but that's far better and quicker than a restore)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
It does sound like interesting conditions. Modern malware is in fact designed to disable av. They are also designed to bypass and hide from av. For example, you might have a root kit. If it is, they are difficult to remove. A system analysis would have to be performed to know for certain what is really wrong.

It is possible the restore only did an overwrite and did not actually perform a full reformat. If you want to be certain, perform a manual full reformat. Try deleting the partition too and starting a reinstall from scratch on a blank hd. I actually have a cd that can perform a multi wipe to ensure everything that existed is in fact gone.

About a week ago, my computer slowed down big time. I used my "restore cds" to wipe out and reload the laptop's o.s. After about 7 reloads, I finally got it, however, my computer's still very slow. But here's the really weird thing.

1) When I try to open my Norton Antivirus, the program closes;
2) When I try to download AOL's Macfee's Safety and Security Center (which is what I had on my computer before it slowed down a week ago), the window closes.
3) If I try to do a search in Google via Firefox for the word "virus", "firewall", "spyware", that Firefox application closes.

So, does it sound like something malicious on my computer? Alternatively, I originally thought it may have just been a deteriorating hard drive.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Very good advice.

Sounds pretty hosed.

Step 3: Partition the hard drive into two partitions (C: and D: - I'd recommend splitting the drive 40/60 in terms of size)

Step 5: Create an additional user for the to use, preferrably just a plain old "user" account, not an Administrator account. Use this account 90% of the time... you should not use an Admin account to browse the Internet (it's not foolproof, but keeps alot of sh*t off the computer):

Step 6: Move all users "My Documents" folder to D:\some directory. (You basically log-in as each user and then right-click "My Documents" and set the location to the D:\somedir). Make sure you save all your stuff there

Now the next time the computer takes a sh*t you can just wipe C and re-install. Then your data is still all there on D all happy (you may have to login as an Admin and take ownership over all the folders you moved "My Documents" to and then re-assign them to the new owners, but that's far better and quicker than a restore)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The problem with this suggestion is that most people do not have the install disks.

The computers are delivered with pre-installed copies of the OS, and you get disks that will restore the system to the "as delivered" condition. However, if the boot sector has been hacked, etc. that process will not always work (as in this case).

Some AV software packages have a bootable version - for instance my old copies of Norton could be used to clean an infected system (but I don't know if the current versions have this feature). Unfortunately, often even the AV software is bought and downloaded on line, and if you don't have the original install disks, this may not work.

So, be for you try major things, what do you have in the way of original disks?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Inqtana isn't in the wild. It was a proof of concept exploit that only worked for a week. Besides, it was propagated by Bluetooth push, which means that you had to accept the file to be infected. To me, this is like getting a .exe in an email and running it. There's no protecting against that...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Inqtana isn't in the wild. It was a proof of concept exploit that only worked for a week. Besides, it was propagated by Bluetooth push, which means that you had to accept the file to be infected.
Hey, I tried... haven't found a Mac useful since they became messed-up Unix with lipstick.
:shrug:

I've got a disk around here somewhere that does have stuff that was found in the wild back in the pre-X days.
:evil:

To me, this is like getting a .exe in an email and running it. There's no protecting against that...
See post #1 again. PBSAK.
;)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
First,

http://www.milw0rm.com/platforms/osX

Secondly, NOD32 is much much better than AVG, Norton or Mcafee.

Try "hijack this" from mejin. its technical but it tells you about most BHO's in windows.

It probably is a virus, thats quite a normal attack style, you might have to make an anti virus bootable CD, since a lot of clever ones can thwart installation of most tools, you could try running http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ but it might be blocked out too.

Find and download Hirens BootCD and make that, it has a various checkers on it.

Junk norton though its complete rubbish.

Q

·
0 Posts
Try "hijack this" from mejin. its technical but it tells you about most BHO's in windows.
Yep... also in my "tool kit"...

As well as Registry First Aid to clean the registry.

Regularly, I do the following...

1. Keep Spybot running
2. Keep antivirus up to date
3. Keep network firewall up date
4. Run Registry First Aid daily to keep registry optimized and defragged
5. Defrag every few weeks with Diskeeper Lite
6. Occasionally run HiJack This

No problems, no viruses, good speed, etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds pretty hosed.

Step 5: Create an additional user to use, preferably just a plain old "user" account, not an Administrator account. Use this account 90% of the time... you should not use an Admin account to browse the Internet (it's not foolproof, but keeps a lot of sh*t off the computer):

:up:+1 Just went through this last week because of a trojan. I had done something stupid and new better. :shrug: These directions are basically what you have to do to clean house and recover.

PS. The bug got on my Norton Ghost backups but not my manual backup drive. If you backup to a CD remember that when you copy the data to the HD is will be "read only" format and you will need to fix the directory(s).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts