The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new rear michelin alpinas [sic?] and front khumo ASX all-season tires with about 75% tread. No LSD, no traction control.

Other than during an ice storm or deep snow, I am going to drive it the 60 miles a day I do now.

1. Odds of surviving a pennsylvania winter without incident?
2. Worth it to get an ECU reflash and switches for traction control?
3. Worth it to get front snow tires?
4. I am going to wax the undercarraige to prevent corrosion on the chassis and tray, any other suggestions?
5. Do they make chains for a lotus?

Ron
:D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware what the manual says. It also says to fit 215 rear snow tires (not 225) so I am looking for experience more than anything else.

Ron

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i'll say, you have guts, to drive that area with the other cars sliding around you.
what part of the main line? my first ex-wife was from berwyn, and i worked in wayne, pa.
that area has changed so much since i moved away that i get lost, nowadays..
a beater car may be cheaper than one small shunt with the lotus.....
good luck, sam

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nothing would scare me more than a 7000lb. Suburban sliding out of control at me in an Elise.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You may be a great safe driver, but the busy mom in the 'ol SUV may just send you to the hospital and the wreck yard. I'd reconsider.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i'll say, you have guts, to drive that area with the other cars sliding around you.
a beater car may be cheaper than one small shunt with the lotus.....

Nothing would scare me more than a 7000lb. Suburban sliding out of control at me in an Elise.

Good luck with that.
I agree with both Zammy1 and teekster. I grew up near Philly and now live in Pittsburgh so I know what PA winters are like. I would find a cheap beater (people are unloading trucks, SUVs, etc. for cheap these days) and drive it any day that snow / ice are forecasted. You said you're driving 60 miles daily. That's an awful lot of opportunity for something to go wrong.

I assume since you posted on the forum you were looking for input. My input would be don't do it. You're not only risking damage to the car, but frankly to yourself as well. The Elise doesn't offer a lot of protection. The pictures of wrecked Elises (even in dry weather) are pretty horrific.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You really need to upgrade to LSD. I dont have LSD, and I have trouble driving on sandy roads. One tire starts spinning, and the car is not moving. You will have a worse time on snow/ice. I highly recommend you reconsider driving in winter, or at least get LSD. ~$1000

·
Registered
283 Posts
I drive mine all winter long. I do, however, avoid snowy days and ice storms. Get good winter tires, or you may have to do this to climb some hills:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Haha Clops, I thought of you right when I read the thread title. I never saw you in MTL, but it was nice knowing that on those dreary, salty, dark and effing cold winter nights, someone was still out there on the roads enjoying the hell out of an Elise.

He doesn't seem to mind resale value - that car gets worked.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good topic. I searched "winter tires" a few days ago but nothing conclusive.

I plan to drive mine once every week or two to give it some exercise. By law, in the winter I must have M+S or studded tires if I drive then. I don't plan to drive if it's heavily wet (slush/sleet) or snow is falling. Normally the snow falls in the night and is cleared by morning. So actual snow traction is not such a big deal -- the roads I drive on will be clear and dry by the time I'm ready to hit the road. Nonetheless, I must have winter tires to comply with the rules. Any suggestions? I don't have the sport pack, so I have the stock wheels that come without the sport pack.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
1. Odds of surviving a pennsylvania winter without incident?
2. Worth it to get an ECU reflash and switches for traction control?
3. Worth it to get front snow tires?
4. I am going to wax the undercarraige to prevent corrosion on the chassis and tray, any other suggestions?
5. Do they make chains for a lotus?
1 - You'll wreck your car... or somebody else will hit you, that's for sure.
2 - Sure!
3 - Sure!
4 - Just keep it clean!
5 - Yes!

:D

I want to drive my car in the winter here... but no way would I make it.. lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Haha Clops, I thought of you right when I read the thread title. I never saw you in MTL, but it was nice knowing that on those dreary, salty, dark and effing cold winter nights, someone was still out there on the roads enjoying the hell out of an Elise.

He doesn't seem to mind resale value - that car gets worked.
1- Life is short
2- 6 months of winter is waaaay too long without driving the Elise
3- Good winter tires, a little planning ahead, some indoor washing here and there, and you can make the best out of the cold season driving a real car...
4- I positively HATE garage queens and poser cars. Get out and drive !:coolnana:

·
Registered
181 Posts
One thing I would highly, highly recommend - make sure you have matched snow tires all the way around. Don't just have two on the front or two on the rear, with all seasons on the other two. If you have snows on the front and all seasons in the rear, you'll have pretty severe oversteer as the front grips and the rear slides. Fun in a parking lot, but not so good on the street. Snows on the rear and all seasons up front, and you'll be able to get going but not be able to brake or turn at all. Again, not fun.

Ameerkien, it depends on what tires are available in your area. If your treks in the winter time are drier, it might be worth getting one of the more aggressive snow tires like a Dunlop M3 that's more biased to cold but dry conditions than something like a Blizzak WS50 that's intended for lots of snow and ice. The more snow-biased tires have very soft compounds and squirm a LOT, and make any kind of enthusiastic driving in the dry completely out of the question. They are a lot of fun in a blizzard, though.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input.

I plan to fit an LSD and the celica 6th gear when I have to replace the clutch. I think I will be ok without it for now, but in case I change my mind, what is available?

"You know, one day you will put the car up for sale and people will do a search for your previous posts....."

Eh, by that time she will have 100k on her.

I have a range rover to drive in the deep snow/ice and a Defender and . . . . well let's just say I don't need a beater.

I got caught out last year in a freak ice storm and made it up some scary hills and survived with only new all seasons on the four corners. Also, I did grow up driving in an extremely high snow fall area.

You all have convinced me to give it a shot. If she pushes too much on braking, I will get front snow tires too. All I see available in something that would fit are the perilli.

Ron

Zammy, where did you work in Wayne? On the right night you can find my lotus parked on North Wayne Ave.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
With 4 winter tires, it'll be ok.

Buy some "Salt-Away" (found on lt search and boat supply stores) so you can neutralize the salt on the chassis. I did.

·
Registered
351 Posts
1- Life is short
2- 6 months of winter is waaaay too long without driving the Elise
3- Good winter tires, a little planning ahead, some indoor washing here and there, and you can make the best out of the cold season driving a real car...
4- I positively HATE garage queens and poser cars. Get out and drive !:coolnana:
Couldn't agree more. I can't understand people who keep their cars in garage and fancy fountain pens in pocket! :confused:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts