The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but I'm not sure who or what happened.

I bought my used '05 Elise from Silverstar (Thousand Oaks) at 18K miles. I was convinced by the dealer to purchase extended warranty (67.5K miles/5 yrs) that will kick in when the original 36,000 mile/3 yr warranty expires.

A month after I purchased Elise, the original owner contacted me that he had bought an extended warranty for the Elise, and it should be transfered to me, So I called the dealer and, with a week, dealer confirms that the original owner's extended warranty will cover the car and we (the dealer and I) cancelled the extra warranty (about $1600). That will shorten up my payment of the loan.

There are a few miles (100 miles) left on the factory warranty, so I checked it the extended warranty is still intact. The dealer says "No, the warranty only covers the second party. The original owner sold the car to another person and YOU are the third party....so warranty is void."

WELL!!! Thanks guys.:mad: WHY DIDN'T THE DEALER TELL ME THAT 1.5 years AGO??? I would have kept the purchased warranty, and been happy!

The dealer agreed to reinstated the extended warranty that I bought 1.5 years ago, but I had to bay CASH (credit card) to the tune $1256. I have no idea why the warranty cost went down by $300+/-, I'm not going to complain.

What I'm complaining about is the business (monkey business) transpired in the warranty purchase, cancellation and reinstatment. Something is not Kosher here....

Thanks for reading my sob story.

--Hal

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hal,

[the bright side]
Although you had to pay cash, it sounds as though you still got the same product, for ~$300 less and didn't pay interest on that money through financing the warranty. Also extended warranties often are more expensive this far out from the original purchase, not less expensive. Sounds like someone may have just gotten confused and saved you some cash.
[/the bright side]

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hal,

[the bright side]
Although you had to pay cash, it sounds as though you still got the same product, for ~$300 less and didn't pay interest on that money through financing the warranty. Also extended warranties often are more expensive this far out from the original purchase, not less expensive. Sounds like someone may have just gotten confused and saved you some cash.
[/the bright side]

Thanks RoadDad! that does make me feel a bit betta! (Really):)

The car runs FINE at 36,000 miles:D

--Hal

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hi Hal,

The "dealer" in question isn't very fond of you, but "puts" up with you because they have to. That is the 1st word on the street. They aren't keen on you standing and watching the oil get changed ;) That being said, you have said great things about this dealer before, and sounds rather ironic, as your factory warranty is running out, you are having not so nice things to say about the dealer. ;)

Car dealers lie. Fact of life. Be safe out there, and don't bad mouth people who take care of you. TRUST ME, "that dealer" is reading the forum and your posts.

Good day.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Hal,

The "dealer" in question isn't very fond of you, but "puts" up with you because they have to. That is the 1st word on the street. They aren't keen on you standing and watching the oil get changed ;) That being said, you have said great things about this dealer before, and sounds rather ironic, as your factory warranty is running out, you are having not so nice things to say about the dealer. ;)

Car dealers lie. Fact of life. Be safe out there, and don't bad mouth people who take care of you. TRUST ME, "that dealer" is reading the forum and your posts.

Good day.
^^^^^^
You sound insecure... Like a person with alot of conspiracy theories about people "out to get you". Grow up. Whose word is it on the street? What street do you live on?????

SKYVUE
The situation sounds to me like miscommunication rather than someone trying to mislead you. They more than likely took a hit on the warranty to satisfy a good return customer.. That's a great price for a warranty!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
^^^^^^
You sound insecure... Like a person with alot of conspiracy theories about people "out to get you". Grow up. Whose word is it on the street? What street do you live on?????
Nov 2003
4000+ posts

June 2008
11 posts

And judging my insecurity? Bravo:up::clap:

unsubscribed

·
Registered
278 Posts
:popcorn:
Maybe it's the Darth Vader costume? It may have led him to the dark side..

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the honoring of the extended warranty is by the extended warranty company, not the dealership... at least thats what i have seen - the dealer will do the work - the only question is whos\'s paying for the work? you, or the extended warranty company, and that company can opt to pay out or deny claims for various reasons.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would read the terms and conditions of the extended warranty if you haven't already. And, if it makes you feel any better, Hal, at least your extended warranty may end up being worth more than my standard warranty, which ultimately cost me $5K.

·
Registered
278 Posts
And, if it makes you feel any better, Hal, at least your extended warranty may end up being worth more than my standard warranty, which ultimately cost me $5K.
What happened there???????????:confused:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stig (and anyone else who reads this),

Yes, dealerships are not perfect. I'm very impressed with the service and I was happy with the purchase of the Elise At Silverstar. Richie is a first-rate mechanic. I was not thrilled (not a happy camper) with the transaction of the warranty, but that is a small part of the entire experience. I plan to continue recommending Silverstar service, and the dealer as a place to buy an Elise/Elise.

As to your post:

"The "dealer" in question isn't very fond of you, but "puts" up with you because they have to. That is the 1st word on the street. They aren't keen on you standing and watching the oil get changed That being said, you have said great things about this dealer before, and sounds rather ironic, as your factory warranty is running out, you are having not so nice things to say about the dealer.

Car dealers lie. Fact of life. Be safe out there, and don't bad mouth people who take care of you. TRUST ME, "that dealer" is reading the forum and your posts."

I appreciate your heads-up, Stig. I'll check it out and I'll start doing the oil changes myself (save money too). Besides the warranty issue, Silverstar is a good Lotus experience. If they don't like me...hey...maybe I'll talk to them. Sour grapes from both sides could help the dealership/customer relatonship.

You have a good day too, Stig:)

--Hal

·
Registered
344 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
mechanic can't handle the pressure of having someone watch them do an oil change? I feel sorry sorry for the mechanic's wife/gf; if the oil change is pressure filled and nerve wracking, who knows what else he chokes at....

·
Registered
278 Posts
rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Hi Hal,

Good day.

Is that a joke? It sounds like it, but people are taking you seriously, (including the OP), :confused: :confused:

Anywho, sounds like you need someone to confirm if the warranty indeed expires after the second party. Anyone offer confirmation of this?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Hal - don't stress about the warranty. Your other warranty thread had lots of positive comments and pointed out that there isn't that much that is so expensive and covered by warranty anyway!

And as I pointed out - my Elise ran out of warranty for 4½ years ago! So far it has cost me less to run than my wifes in warranty Honda!

Happy driving and stargazing Hal!!

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
693 Posts
Can't believe you just forked over that amount of CASH... Seems like you did the right thing and then turned around and basically GAVE the stealership some more money. :shrug:

If they are busting your balls about the warranty now, what makes you think they are going to be so quick to honor your warranty when you actually need it? Most likely they will give you a hard time each and every time you need to collect from it....and that's if you ever use it at all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts