The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had hoped to join the ranks of Elise owners especially prior to our BBBS charity event in September, but I just don't think it was meant to be. Last week at this time I was in the finals for 3 different positions of gainful employment. (No one pays me for reading Elisetalk unfortunately).

I just received email last yesterday (people never call or write anymore) that the position I had spent several interviews trying to land, including flying to Boston and presenting in person was not to be. Evidently, I was a strong candidate with all sorts of positive but they didn't think I held strong enough opinions. I tell this to my friends and family and they all laugh because they say I've got some of the strongest opinions of anyone they know.

So I think, ok 1 down, 2 possibilities still, one that I'm interested in, the other would just a placeholder until I found something else. Well I just got email (there's a pattern here) that the firm has decided to place a hold on the position and despite it being down to me and one other person for the job there won't be any position available at this time. Isn't there a law against cruelty to interview candidates?

Speaking of laws. The trip to Boston I get reimbursed for after I send that prospective employer my receipts. But I got to thinking, when I do independent contract work I charge $125/hr. Since I spent about 10 hours making that presentation as well as another 8 hours plus traveling there, etc. shouldn't I bill them for that time too? I wonder if anyone has ever tried that?

So the odds of me finding gainful employment so I can put food on the table and purchase the Elise have now gotten much much smaller and I'm starting to lose faith. Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Later Apex,

Sorry to hear about the employment fiasco. I understand... been there, done that... going there yet again. (My current contract is ending August 26th and I don't have any new gigs lined-up yet.)

As for billing for your time... I've never tried that, but I suspect that the would-be employer might balk at that. Generally speaking, the expenses "are what they are." The time lost in providing a presentation and interviewing are generally considered "pro bono" since you're really just marketing yourself.

Bob

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
This interviewing thing has got me baffled. I can't for the life of me figure out what they look for anymore. I just went on an interview (as practice) with a company and it really didn't go all to well. I chaulked it up as a learning experience of what and what not to do next time. I even laughed at some of the things I said and thought i wouldn't hire me with that answer. So of course with that they give me an offer and wish for me to start right away. I have to just laugh and shake my head. So quite frankly I just believe if they like you, they like you, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Hang in there it just wasn't meant to be this time but next time when you don't expect to get the job they be knocking on your door. LOL, go figure.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear that. Hang in there, and just remember that the single most important thing is a positive state of mind. Keep that, and the rest will follow.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Don't lose faith. This won't be a popular sentiment here, but "it's just a stupid car." Focus more on the job/life stuff -- and remember that the Elise is really not important in the grand scheme of things. There'll be plenty of Elises around and available to buy in the future ... whenever you might be ready ... and if you even still want one.

I'm employed, but I sort of hate my job. I view my job as collecting unemployment benefits while I do something everyday from 9-5. I've been passively looking for something different for a long time. I've flown to Nashville to interview on my own dime and I've had several other interviews -- several of which I've ended early by saying "You know what -- this job isn't for me. Thanks for your time." I've been looking for Federal law jobs and each application is a major project. The application to interview time if often 6 months....then another 2-4 months to make a decision. It's complete BS. I don't know what makes it so difficult considering I'm willing to live just about anywhere.

Any employer that contacts you after an interview with a form letter or e-mail is probably not an employer I'd want to work for anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know what to do about the Elise either because of my uncertain job/life status...but I also don't know what to do about a home! I could buy a bigger place with a multi-car garage and then replenish my fleet, but I don't know if I even want to stay in Maryland. I've been accepted to go back to school for another advanced degree, but that would require relocating and living in an apartment. At 34, and after 9 years of living fairly well, it would be a tough adjustment. It would also mean putting any car stuff is on hold for a while. I don't want to do that, but it may be far smarter in the long run. I'll be damned if I'm going to make any long-term commitments or settle for "good enough" just so that I'm in a position to buy an Elise.

Anyway, don't get too down about it. Something will pop up when you least expect it. I keep telling myself that a decision will come to me. It hasn't yet, but I believe it will.

Keep the Elise purchase in perspective though ... it won't make or break your life and it does not define who you are. Neither does a job for that matter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Don't give up.

After the dotcom craze, I was out of a job for ages. I sent my cv to almost everyone on the planet. Everything looked oh so grim. I was even forced to move back in with my parents for a while so I could afford to pay off debt. I was convinced that I was a complete failure.

Eventually, I got a job offer from a company that I hadn't heard of. I had sent them my cv while scrolling down the list in the tribune without paying attention to what the job involved!

Turns out, this has been the most enjoyable job I've had.

The only reason I kept sending out my cv was to get a TT (before I realised the Elise was headed here).

One day, I'll have to buy the car that motivated me to send out so many cv's which resulted in the best job I've had!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
It comes in handy being a grossly underpaid nurse sometimes! It's actually pretty much impossible to ever get unemployment if you are. I went back to school at 31 and went from being a sheet metal worker to Nurse, wife talked me into it. Won't get rich, but you'll never starve.
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
It comes in handy being a grossly underpaid nurse sometimes!
Nurses have to work way too hard for their money. And they have to put up with all the moaning and complaining people in the hospitals. Greatly under appreciated. But I'm glad someone is there when you need them.

You have my respect.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sorry to hear that Apex. The job market is really tough. Here in San Francisco, there is practically no openings on anything, and employers are low-balling on all offers. Hopefully something will turn up soon. And if you do get the Elise, try to pay cash, so you don't have to worry about another monthly payment.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't know what makes it so difficult considering I'm willing to live just about anywhere.
Actually lawyers for the SEC and other federal branches are some of the best jobs and actively seeked by people with policital ambitions or those with political and big money connections.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you want to be completely under-appreciated, work at McDonalds for a couple of years !

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the words of support. Anyone here hiring? ;) Have resume, will email.

:)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
what kinda work you looking for, kendude?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Understand the sentiment completely. I've dump my deposit for the Elise into one of my businesses. I went from #3 on the list to 60 something. So far my business venture(s) have netted me next to nothing due to people not paying me. But I'm going to continue on til I succeed. I'm not giving up. Well, at least until my girlfriend gets tired of me working 7 days week. ;)

Never give up. Get pissed off, loose control for a bit then get your head back in the game. If you don't find anyone to work for then work for yourself. It's easier (and harder) than you think. If that's the route you choose I've got tons of resources you can use. That's what I got my MBA in - Entrepreneurship. There are tons of programs in every major city to help start new businesses. And the SBA (despite major cutback by the president) can still help people out with creating business plans, getting loans and helping in many other areas.

·
Registered
649 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
This interviewing thing has got me baffled. I can't for the life of me figure out what they look for anymore. I just went on an interview (as practice) with a company and it really didn't go all to well. I chaulked it up as a learning experience of what and what not to do next time. I even laughed at some of the things I said and thought i wouldn't hire me with that answer. So of course with that they give me an offer and wish for me to start right away. I have to just laugh and shake my head. So quite frankly I just believe if they like you, they like you, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Hang in there it just wasn't meant to be this time but next time when you don't expect to get the job they be knocking on your door. LOL, go figure.
Ya know, this is so true! The process is pretty random. It's kinda like the singles scene. You go to a bar/club and start talking up the ladies. You may be saying all the right things, etc., yet it's shot down city. Then on the 6th girl you chat up you end up saying something really stupid, and she actually smiles, laughs, and before you know it you've been dating for a year.

Of course, it always helps to have an "in" for a given position. That's how I got my current job. Much like Hans though, I find it to be rather tedious and with long hours. However, I'm thankfull to have it given the tech job situation in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I sometimes get asked to interview software engineers. When I interview a prospective candidate, I look for several things: energy, openness, enthusiasm, communication and intelligence. Oh, and I may dig into your skillset near the end if I'm not confident enough from what you've already told me.

Basically, I'm looking for someone I'd want to work with. Slackers/wannabe's need not apply.

But I sympathize with you guys--back when I was looking for work, I interviewed with several companies. Sometimes, I got the feeling that the interviewer really didn't have a specific agenda, they were just hoping to "get an impression". In that case, all you can try to do is wow them, and hope they have a good day. HR reps and headhunters are the worst--they just want to check off buzzwords and pass you on. I've heard horror stories about people who have "5 years experience with MS Office" get turned away because "they didn't know Word". :huh:

Jim

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I have no horror stories like that but at one of my medical school admission interviews (where 4 of them interviewed 3 of us) one of the interviewers fell asleep toward the end!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
jtanner said:
HR reps and headhunters are the worst--they just want to check off buzzwords and pass you on.
I once got turned down for a job by the "recruiter" because I didn't have a specific skill. I had all the others of a long list (it was a helicopter flight simulator for the military). The skill I was missing was experience using a "specific computer system", although I had lots of experience in all the other areas. A couple of months later, I had a new job and a part time job teaching programming in the evenings at the local college. After a 15 minute introduction to the "specific computer system" I was teaching the students how to use it and program it.

I strongly dislike recruiters...:wallbang:

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.