The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know there's been more ads on the site since the new ownership takeover. Usually I find ads that are targeted to this type of audience; which I presumed to be consisting of self-respecting and competent people. I also thought the new ownership must be aware of our status.

...But I was wrong.

Is this what the new ownership makes of us? Has our image been reduced to mere brainless consumers who might be so desperate and so naive as to purchase something as utterly useless as a "FAKE BLOW-OFF VALVE TURBO WHISTLER"?

So who is responsible for this irreverence? Have we loyal LT readers done wrong? Have we conducted ourselves in a manner that might cultivate the perception that we would buy such products?

Or have the sinister overlords judged us callously and incorrectly?

Or perhaps this is nobody's fault and the Ebay ads just choose keywords that relate to cars and choose ads accordingly :p

What is your say?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
FAKE BLOW-OFF VALVE TURBO WHISTLER for sale cheap. Never used. Recently purchased on ebay.:eek:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think LT readers deserve more credit than this...
Are you new here?

:)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
490 Posts
The ebay ads are worthwhile for the owners of the forum as a way to make money off of us. Have you noticed that all ebay links get automatically changed to AuctionAds affiliate links?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I logged in once and it had an Ebay add for a Bra. ( not a car bra) WTF. First of all what do bra's have to do with Lotus Talk ( I thought there were links or cookies) and second, who buys a bra on EBAY?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
FAKE BLOW-OFF VALVE TURBO WHISTLER for sale cheap. Never used. Recently purchased on ebay.:eek:
Can I put one on my Exige??!! :huh:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSOSJ68xOBA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSOSJ68xOBA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Doh, the link dissapeared. Where can i buy it again? :p

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm... the only ads I see in that area of the screen are for IBM Lotus database software and accessories... could it be that the ads are targeted individually to each user, based on their interwebs purchasing history?

heh :evil:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just ordered one to go with my fake sunroof...

Fake sunroof for car - Boing Boing

:coolnana:
A friend of mine once owned a car that got repeatedly broken into for some reason, by the thieves smashing in the sun roof. This ad made me just think of this. I could see it now, the knucklehead thieves picking up their rock (what they usually used to smash-in the sunroof) and bouncing it off the roof of the car back into their own faces off of this! rotfl

And BTW, on the ads... C'mon people, you gotta know that those are simply "keyword driven". Ever notice how a thread title you are looking at will trigger "matching" (ooooh, wierd science :crazyeyes ) ads to some word in that title?

Makes me wonder what BV was posting about to trigger "blower" (sniffed) links to fire now in the 1st place? -poke-

·
Registered
773 Posts
P.S. - Wanna really piss off anyone who routinely accesses or uses google products? (gmail, google tool-bar, etc. or what-have-you)?

Whenever writing to them - make sure you throw a few good EXPLICIT "keywords" into your e-mail. That way, only well chosen "targeted" ads to "fit their ("sniffed") personal interests an needs" will appear (magically! :huh:) in their sidebar! :panic: I've gotten more than just a few of my google-drone-head friends to "cry uncle" over this, and duh... half of 'em still aint figured it out! rotflrotflrotflrotfl

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I thiink this ad definitely has reached its target audience rotfl

Attachments

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
First Rule of Advertising: Assume the audience is stupid.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts