The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, when I try to start the car, it just gave me a click...nothing happen. Need To do second or third attempt to start the car. I assume that it's the starter motor. Battery already checked. So I wanna do some inspection on the stater motor.

Question is which is the easiest way to get access to it.
And how to remove it.

Thank you

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
846 Posts
Lately, when I try to start the car, it just gave me a click...nothing happen. Need To do second or third attempt to start the car. I assume that it's the starter motor. Battery already checked. So I wanna do some inspection on the stater motor.

Question is which is the easiest way to get access to it.
And how to remove it.

Thank you

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
jack up the rear end, place stands, remove both trays, disconnect battery, remove starter there's two bolts that hold it in...

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Similar issue for me now, too

Did you ever figure this out? Mine has started to do this with increasing frequency, but ONLY in the morning when its cold... :shrug:

I push the button, there is no starter noise at all, just a soft 'click' as the headlights turn off while the button is depressed. After pressing it 2-4 times, it suddenly just works, and off I go...

When I go to take the car for lunch, starts right up, every time. End of the day? Same thing... no hesitation, just starts. Its *only* happened to me after the car sits overnight.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? Mine has started to do this with increasing frequency, but ONLY in the morning when its cold... :shrug:

I push the button, there is no starter noise at all, just a soft 'click' as the headlights turn off while the button is depressed. After pressing it 2-4 times, it suddenly just works, and off I go...

When I go to take the car for lunch, starts right up, every time. End of the day? Same thing... no hesitation, just starts. Its *only* happened to me after the car sits overnight.

Anyone?
Battery on it's way out.
Michael

·
Registered
803 Posts
car not starting with a button start push reliably

Battery on it's way out.
Michael
I wish it were so. I have installed three different batteries, including one new one, and it will still not start reliably. It can take as many as 20 pushes before it finally starts!

One fix that worked for a couple of months was to start the car by holding the start button first and then turning the key. Maybe this is a limp home mode? However after some time, this was no longer reliable.

I hear no clicks on a failed button push as I have disconnected the day time driving lights and so the relay does not reset. I know what a starter solenoid sounds like, as happens with a weak battery, and that is not happening.

I suspect the starter solenoid contacts but that is a stretch because if the contacts are not making good contact, why would the 10th push suddenly work? Perhaps the ECU is looking for a particular voltage, and while I have tried multiple batteries, maybe the component that checks the voltage is failing? I doubt the immobilizer is bad but it does affect the starting process.

As an aside, I never lock my car using the fob anymore. However I still have to push the button to reset the immobilizer.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Run a wire from the solenoid to the battery if that work it is your MFRU (which is more common).

I was getting a few clicks, and then starts.
Then more clicks,
Then dozens,
Then finally no starts.

Now I have bypassed the MFRU until I retract the finger order one.
It starts every time with the MRFU bypassed with the old battery.

YRMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts