The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around near the driver's side headlight lift mechanism today, I spotted this carved into the fiberglass front body section, inside the headlight well area ---

So, for any of you who wondered whether or not the later Esprits (mine is an '03) still received the same level of "hand-built attention" that the earlier cars got, I would say this proves they did :)

"0471" is the last 4-digits of my car's VIN / Chassis #.
"FED" must be their shorthand for this being a US-Spec (Federal version) car.
And, underneath appears to be someone's (assembler, inspector, etc. ??) initials, but I can't quite make them out -- "J E" maybe ??

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
the last 4 of the VIN is written on many of the parts including thr body, headlamp pods, doors, hatch, wing etc. as well as th einterior dash pieces. In one of my cars, that was original, they did not match - off by a few numbers. I assume it was done on the line.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
These intials are on the right side of the left headlight pod on my 1989 Turbo Esprit. There are other markings on the door beam dates) and various assembly marking hidden throughout the car. I am just completing a complete dis-assembly and renovation of the car and it has been a treat to find these artifacts from Hethel.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,943 Posts
My '88 had the VIN identifiers written in "Sharpie".

:clap:

How times have changed. :tadts:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
When we toured the factory in 1999 there were only 3 or 4 people who assembled Esprits. Their most impressive tool seemed to be a lift. No assembly line. Truly hand built. I expect the people who built them felt pride in their work - same as any craftsman.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
When we toured the factory in 1999 there were only 3 or 4 people who assembled Esprits. Their most impressive tool seemed to be a lift. No assembly line. Truly hand built. I expect the people who built them felt pride in their work - same as any craftsman.
Wow, didn't it take over 200 hours to build an Esprit (compared to around 10 for a regular production car)? That would mean over a week to 2 weeks per car...

That wouldn't add up because they were building over a 100 cars per year.

I think Boeing puts out a 747 per day.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,943 Posts
Mine has the serial # in Sharpie on the backside of many of the fiberglass panels. (62305)

Yours may mean "Just Lucky" or something, LOL.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
This is a neat thread. It's kinda cool seeing my lower front bumper and car in a few of the pics in the link above.

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Found the Initials J.L. on the underbody panel when replacing the radiator. Not exactly subtle, but I still think its cool!

The Proton
What year is your car. My 04 has the engine builders plate with the the name Jason Lane. Maybe he's the one who left his initials on your car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looking around near the driver's side headlight lift mechanism today, I spotted this carved into the fiberglass front body section, inside the headlight well area ---

So, for any of you who wondered whether or not the later Esprits (mine is an '03) still received the same level of "hand-built attention" that the earlier cars got, I would say this proves they did :)

"0471" is the last 4-digits of my car's VIN / Chassis #.
"FED" must be their shorthand for this being a US-Spec (Federal version) car.
And, underneath appears to be someone's (assembler, inspector, etc. ??) initials, but I can't quite make them out -- "J E" maybe ??
That is interesting attention to detail for the Lotus.

-Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts