The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
It is nice to find such a comprehensive site. I love the idea of owning a Lotus, but need basic advice. Exactly how reliable are they? I am thinking of potential costly repairs down the road. I live in Indianapolis and do not have a Lotus dealer in town. The closest one is Chicago (which is okay with me). How likely is it that I would find a reliable mechanic/service in a market like Indianapolis?
Thanks,
rob51L

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
the basics like oil change, etc, are simple and can be accomplished by any competent mechanic, or, do it your self.
i wouldn't suggest a quicky lube type of operation, tho.
the car is not a maintenance hog, the powertrain is toyota and doesn't ask for much.
dealers tend to be expensive to outrageous just like ordinary dealers.
front tires are a bit pricey.
the feeling of driving a lotus is really priceless.
buy a lotus for fun, buy a beater chevy to pound around with.
good luck, sam

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Welcome.

The subjects of reliability, comfort, usability & daily driving are discussed here quite often.

To address each for you:

Reliability: The engine will fall out before it breaks in most cases. Overall, the car is solid, but requires a patient minded person who understands her. She is most often likened to a motorcycle for her "quirks" which are customizable in most cases.

Comfort: this is completely subjective. Someone coming from a Cadillac or Lexus or BMW will likely complain. Someone coming from a Motorcycle will be in heaven. Someone coming from a Miata or MR2 will be inspired.

Usability & Daily Driving: I drive mine every day. I commute in it and am happy as a clam. Some would say I am insane for doing so... Coming from a bike, I could care less. Some would say that the car is too fragile. I don't think so.

The point is, this car is usable for almost anyone, BUT, the only way you will find out if it works for you is to go and DRIVE it and make your own determination. You may drive it and think "OH, HELL NO!" or you may drive it and buy one on the spot, like me.

Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Welcome Robert!

If you have been waiting your whole life to get a sports car, this is the only one to get.

You will love it. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I do need to get into one and drive it. I am 6'2" 185 lbs. If I can get in an Elsie without too much trouble, I know I will love it.
Take care,
rob51L

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I do need to get into one and drive it. I am 6'2" 185 lbs. If I can get in an Elsie without too much trouble, I know I will love it.
Take care,
rob51L
Hi Rob, I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and just bought a 2005 Elise. It fits better than the Miata fun car I have had for 10 years, but it is more of a trick to get in and out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome, Rob. There's plenty of info here to answer your questions. And this forum is fun in and of itself, full of fun stuff going far beyond the Lotus brand, reflecting the great folks who participate.

In contradistinction, eight months ago I jumped in with little research and bought an 07 Elise--sight unseen. Subsequently, I learned to be true what I had read here on LT: they are indeed dangerous cars. Once you get in one, you will never want to leave. Although I am still on the learning curve, I have not encountered anything that would make me give it up.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again! What a great site and great people. Please keep the advise coming and some pictures, too.
rob51L

1 - 9 of 9 Posts