The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is built and is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, headed for the Canal. It will be mid to late August before I take delivery. As most of you know, it is painful waiting...

So I decided to occupy my time.

Among the many Elise models I have are several Jadi versions. I decided to disassemble the red one (sorry, red enthusiasts) and repaint it. I have taken it apart and will be glass bead blasting it to remove the original paint.

I called the local Lotus dealer to see if they have touch up paint. Much to my surprise they do! However it is not spray and needs to be brushed on. I visited the local hobby story and purchased five cans of silver and gray model spray paint and will see if there is a combination that will come close to Titanium Silver, the color of my car.

I am documenting the process in case anyone else wants to try it:

<a href="http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/merchandise/miniature/modelpaint.html" >model disassembly and paint</a>

Adamant gave me the idea after I saw his pictures of the Safron Yellow Elise that was color changed to be Chrome Orange (posted here and on my site).

I bet I get my car before I finish the paint...

Michael

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Wow you went "frame off" huh?:D I painted my yellow Jadi 1:18 in Testor's Gunmetal but only separated the body from the "chassis" w/o removing any of the plastic parts- I just taped them off. Your paint removal process is overkill IMO because the surface area is'nt large enough for the paint color shift to be noticable(your joints/edges will be alot better though. Use Testor's spray- I was very happy with that paint.

edit- er, scratch that- it was Tamiya paint- good stuff

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could get the touchup paint and experiment with spraying it anyway...you may need to thin it or something, I don't know. Perhaps there is a local body shop that can give you tips...or someone here.

Obviously you'd need one of those small air sprayer systems to do it, which may be the deciding factor.

--Donnie

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
response to Kiyoshi

Since Kiyoshi has finished his Elise model, it made me wonder how many of us are duplicating our full size cars in model form. I started the above thread before my car arrived and so have made only slight progress in finishing my model, preferring to spend my free time driving the real thing.

However I have made some progress as the following pictures show. I managed to paint it and add some clear coats. I used Tamiya TS-42, Light Gun Metal. It is very close to the Storm Titanium of my car. The pictures show the strong metal flake content as well.

I have not decided if I am going to wet sand and polish it. The clear coat turned out exceptionally well, with minimal orange peel. Polishing it will make it only slightly better. Perhaps a bunch of coats of Zaino?

Note I have removed the winglets under the side front grilles and have also removed the license plate mounting surface.

Now I just need to find time to assemble it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
You CAN get the exact paint, in spray can form, from some bodyshops. I struggled, so Stan got me some from his local bodyshop, exact match! Matter of fact I sprayed the scraped lower from clam damage with it, perfect match!

I might just dissemble my model and do that to it, although mine is a right-hand drive...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sands,
If you're going for total Lotus realism, you'll leave a little orange peel in the clear coat and skip the rubout. This will replicate the factory finish just fine. (In all fairness, the factory paint is better than I expected -- it's just not perfect, and was not likely hand-rubbed in Hethel either). If it makes you feel any better, some of the car show dilettantes (like Mustang Club of America) actually deduct points for lack of "factory orange peel" for the 60's era cars. The finish on your model looks just fine anyway.
Jim

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
miniature model complete

I finally finished my miniature Storm Titanium Elise. Most of the assembly was straight forward. I have made some modifications like taking off the license mounting square in front, removing the grilles, and removing the strakes out of the side vents.

The hard part was simulating the hard top. The model comes with a simulated soft top with the two ribs. I sanded these down and had to make sure the smooth radius matched.

Anybody know where I can get LSS rims?

My webpage shows closeups of the front end and grille removal.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/merchandise/miniature/modelpaint.html

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts