The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gah, I typed a large post but somehow it was lost, and I don't have the patience to be as considerate with the replacement.

I have a 44" waist. I am a fatass, but on a diet. Can I get an Elise or Exige today or will I absolutely not fit? I don't want to agree to buy a car only to not be able to fit in it.

Will Lotus cars accept a 44" waist?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
It's the getting in and out. Repeatedly. Or after a long drive and you are tired. My bf has a 36-38 waist and it's hard enough for him - in the passenger seat. He has driven the car before and wished the steering wheel tilted which it does not. There is a kit sold by a third party, but expensive. How bendable are you? That's the real question. He jokes to other people all the time about how it's only my car because he can't fit in the driver seat. But there is truth in it. So, I would say no, it would not be pleasurable for you, but go to your local dealer and get in and out of a Lotus a few times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must... resist... urge... to...

rotfl

Sorry, I tried.
Nah, you're kind enough. I'm just trying to ward off the "Just lose weight" brigade, because that does not help me now. You can say it, but it's completely useless. All sorts of forums have such replies, so I just thought I should head them off becuase they NEVER help.

to agirls:

Thanks. My intention is to get down to a 36, because that's where I have lost weight to before. I have a friend who is a 39" or so waist, and said he didn't mind getting in and out, but he lives over 1000 miles away (tough to get in his ride). He also said he felt comfortable, so I don't know what that means to me.

I've also been told that the passenger seat is smaller than the driver's seat, so I should drive one to figure it out. I'll deal with any entering or exiting difficulties as long as I can simply sit in the vehicle...at least for now.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I would say the same. It all depends on how flexible you are. I am 220lb but have a 32" waist. I have trouble getting out with the top on, but is not a problem with it off. This could be because of age though, I'm no spring chicken no more. You would have to just try one out. Go to the dealer and test drive one. As long as it is not your daily and just a weekender or everynow and then car, there may not be a problem. It all depends on the person.
I do have a good friend who came to look at mine (6'1 340lb) and he would not even attempt to get in it. When you go look at one, you will know at that time if you want one or not. Not to bee an ass, but if you like it and are not comfortable getting in and out, it might be an reason to loose those extra pounds.
Good Luck and Have a Good Night!!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Nah, you're kind enough. I'm just trying to ward off the "Just lose weight" brigade, because that does not help me now. You can say it, but it's completely useless. All sorts of forums have such replies, so I just thought I should head them off becuase they NEVER help.

to agirls:

Thanks. My intention is to get down to a 36, because that's where I have lost weight to before. I have a friend who is a 39" or so waist, and said he didn't mind getting in and out, but he lives over 1000 miles away (tough to get in his ride). He also said he felt comfortable, so I don't know what that means to me.

I've also been told that the passenger seat is smaller than the driver's seat, so I should drive one to figure it out. I'll deal with any entering or exiting difficulties as long as I can simply sit in the vehicle...at least for now.
In all seriousness... it's a very small car. There's no way to properly explain that in words... you need to sit in one yourself.

EDIT: One of my best friends is 6'2", 255#... I couldn't tell you his waist size, but it's not in the 30's... when he sat in the passenger seat, his "frame" got stuck on the side bolsters... he wasn't actually contacting the center of the seat bottom. This, in turn, led to headroom issues...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way!! I would think a larger waist might not be as big of a problem in an Elise compared to someone who is Amazon tall. It doesn't feel exceedingly narrow either (this coming from a size 0-2, 112 pounder though!) There seems to be a pretty good distance from the seat to the steering wheel. There's really only one way to find out....test drive one! Plus all that adrenaline produced by driving an Elise has to help rev up the old metabolism and help with trimming down! They should market that as an added benefit of ownership! :sheep:

Gah, I typed a large post but somehow it was lost, and I don't have the patience to be as considerate with the replacement.

I have a 44" waist. I am a fatass, but on a diet. Can I get an Elise or Exige today or will I absolutely not fit? I don't want to agree to buy a car only to not be able to fit in it.

Will Lotus cars accept a 44" waist?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where there's a will there's a way!! I would think a larger waist might not be as big of a problem in an Elise compared to someone who is Amazon tall. It doesn't feel exceedingly narrow either (this coming from a size 0-2, 112 pounder though!) There seems to be a pretty good distance from the seat to the steering wheel. There's really only one way to find out....test drive one! Plus all that adrenaline produced by driving an Elise has to help rev up the old metabolism and help with trimming down! They should market that as an added benefit of ownership! :sheep:
Well it should be no surprise that I look to this post for hope. :)

Like I said, I am on a dieting plan, but more for health and personal reasons. The last time I lost 60 pounds in 4 months, so even if I can not fit in now, it shouldn't be long before I can. I decided that I would look after my health prior to my bonus being announced, but once it was, I figured I should consider a Lotus. ;)

I am just shy of 69", so height should not be an issue. I guess I'll take apk919's advice, and try to find one to sit in. I was just trying to avoid the embarrassment of going to a dealership and then being held up by the bolsters alone when I try to sit in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hell, while I'm here, I might as well ask: If you get all service through a dealer, how much should you expect to pay per year for this car? Let's say it's only driven 8 months out of the 12.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Where do you live? Maybe a member here would let you test ingress & egress with their lotus? My brother-in-law is quite large and loves lotus and considered getting one. I let him drive mine and he had a blast ...but had to crawl out onto the pavement to extract himself. ...but he still loved the ride.

- z

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you live? Maybe a member here would let you test ingress & egress with their lotus? My brother-in-law is quite large and loves lotus and considered getting one. I let him drive mine and he had a blast ...but had to crawl out onto the pavement to extract himself. ...but he still loved the ride.

- z
I would crawl out showing all kinds of crack for months if it meant I got to drive such a beast. I am in NW Chicago, IL, but would be willing to drive hundreds of miles if someone let me in their Lotus. :D FWIW, I love being close to the pavement...SUVs annoy me. I don't care about entrance/egress right now as long as the ride is OK. Somebody...anybody...help? :wave: Maybe if there's lunch in it for you? :evil:

I'm confident that in two months this won't be an issue, but I hate to have to skip over options today if it was in any way possible to have them.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
In all seriousness... it's a very small car. There's no way to properly explain that in words... you need to sit in one yourself.

EDIT: One of my best friends is 6'2", 255#... I couldn't tell you his waist size, but it's not in the 30's... when he sat in the passenger seat, his "frame" got stuck on the side bolsters... he wasn't actually contacting the center of the seat bottom. This, in turn, led to headroom issues...
The passenger side is actually smaller than the driver side. But yes, you need to sit in it and test drive it before you buy it so go to a dealer and try one out.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
See this thread...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/you-wont-seeing-much-me-here-anymore-70292/

I was huge when I had my Elise and I fit fine. I did find it awkward getting in and out though. I would push myself out with my arms and being heavy, didn't have enough strength to push that much weight. It wasn't impossible, just a pain.....

And as far as the Chicago area...FVMC, of course.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm a 38" waist, and 255lbs. I fit. I'd fear 2 things with what you're talking about:
1: If i were much wider I couldn't buckle in easily.
2: When you practice getting in and out, try not to use the steering wheel. I'm paranoid about wearing the bearing in the column out with my weight, and we're gonna be in the same boat there.

Here's what works for me.

Seat all the way back (i do this in all my cars anyhow to not screw the bolsters up.)
Left leg out
Forearm on top of the upper bolster on the passenger seat.
Push off with forearm as you move right leg out door and rear onto sill simultaneously.
Slide off sill into crouch.
Stand from crouch.

I see skinny bastards just stick both legs out and i kinda envy 'em. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I remember going into the local dealer a couple of years ago, and a lady sales showed me the car. Apparently she was new to this brand, and showed her knickers getting in AND out of the car. The most difficult part is getting out. Good luck mate!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm a 38" waist, and 255lbs. I fit. I'd fear 2 things with what you're talking about:
1: If i were much wider I couldn't buckle in easily.
2: When you practice getting in and out, try not to use the steering wheel. I'm paranoid about wearing the bearing in the column out with my weight, and we're gonna be in the same boat there.

Here's what works for me.

Seat all the way back (i do this in all my cars anyhow to not screw the bolsters up.)
Left leg out
Forearm on top of the upper bolster on the passenger seat.
Push off with forearm as you move right leg out door and rear onto sill simultaneously.
Slide off sill into crouch.
Stand from crouch.

I see skinny bastards just stick both legs out and i kinda envy 'em. ;)
You must be tall, Im far from skinny(5'10, 230 38in waist), and get out in one fluid motion. I should make an instructional video for future big drivers rotfl

1 - 20 of 70 Posts