Just felt I should mention that...

I WANT MY CAR!
I WANT MY CAR!
I WANT MY CAR!
I WANT MY CAR!
I WANT MY CAR!
I WANT MY CAR!

and lastly to conclude...

I WANT MY CAR!I WANT MY CAR!I WANT MY CAR!I WANT MY CAR!

:clap: :bow: :clap:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Derek, you previously stated your car was complete and waiting on the missing part. I guess this means that BRP is one of the first colors used? The other being SY?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
nxm150 said:
Derek, you previously stated your car was complete and waiting on the missing part. I guess this means that BRP is one of the first colors used? The other being SY?
Yes, my dealer said my car is built and was waiting on a part. That was a while ago. I hope it's on the ship by now. But who knows. I only know what they tell me. I think it was also established that color has little to do with the schedule of when cars will be delivered as cars are being built to order.

What's the latest word, has anyone spoken to their dealer lately?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Derek said:
I think it was also established that color has little to do with the schedule of when cars will be delivered as cars are being built to order.

Quote off the main page per Randy

'Cars are being built based on order number at the dealer when matched to dealer allocation with the exception that Lotus is combining colors for efficiency. So in other words, a batch of Saffron Yellow cars will be done, even if some of the yellow cars are lower on the list. It should all even out and then we will see a dedicated production line for federal cars (it is now mixed with 111rs and Exiges).'

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ace3
wait ... what car are we talking about?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek said:
You're kiddin... Right?

I think he was just surprised that you know the status of your car, since few if any others do....

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems we have some conflicting information. This poster did however name an official source for his information.

Posted by SteveK
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!
I was at the factory about a month ago. The body panels were lined up against a wall and not in any way grouped according to color. Annette Lancaster said the cars are built to a specific order and would not be grouped in colors (unless there were say three yellow cars with one other color in between). They paint the body panels in paint booths by hand like at your local body shop so there is very little time saved if they group them. Each car has a specific order number from the very start. Body panels received are fitted to a master jig to be sure they fit, sanded. primed and painted. Yes the body finishing takes a good bit of the entire time at the factory because it is done by hand. Really the rest of the car is assembled like a kit from parts that are manufactured elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I want my car also. I turned 52 yesterday and pretty soon I may be too feeble to get in and out of the car, so I would like to enjoy it while I can. NOW. PLEASE.

Mine is Saffron, so hopefully that will accelerate its arrival.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
My source works for Lotus. :)

The thing is, both could be mostly correct. Saying that cars are not built in EXACT order does not then mean they are going to build 50 yellow cars and then 50 red cars and work their way down. In fact, Steve's post says that
Annette Lancaster said the cars are built to a specific order and would not be grouped in colors (unless there were say three yellow cars with one other color in between).

It could mean instead:

Lets throw out a theoretical build of 11 cars. 5 yellow, 3 red, 1 green, 1 silver, 1 chrome orange.

Sequence by order-

Chrome Orange
Yellow
Green
Yellow
Silver
Red
Yellow
Red
Yellow
Yellow
Yellow

It might make more sense to build it like this-
Yellow
Yellow
Yellow
Yellow
Yellow
Green
Silver
Red
Red
Chrome Orange delayed until 2005

In the end, all 10 cars are put on the boat at the same time. I have heard nothing that says some cars will be delayed because of color. All I was told is that the intent was to build cars in the order of the master waiting list. However that was not practical and there has been a little bit of shuffling to combine some colors.

Even considering that clam parts are sprayed separately, it could still make sense to make X number of clams in yellow, then X number in red, rinse, repeat.

I was also told that as they move to a dedicated US product line, it would become more efficient.

edit to add Chrome Orange to build :p

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
To add to Randy's theoretical paint order, keep in mind that all of the cars are currently painted on the same line. This includes the Fed cars, 111r, 111s, Exige & VX. So, it's possible that only one of those yellow cars is a Fed car. The information is interesting as an anecdote, but useless for determining when your car will get here. Worry about something else! ;)

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Derek said:
You're kiddin... Right?
either your sarcasm detector is faulty, or i'm just horrible at sarcasm.

i'd guess the latter.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
walked right into the dealer last year and bought my wifes Prius, no wait, couldn't have taken waiting on two cars:p
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
so you are one of those people willing to pay market value and jump over people on the list who have been waiting so long for their cars:p

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
walked right into the dealer last year and bought my wifes Prius, no wait, couldn't have taken waiting on two cars:p
Chris
I take it that means you didn't want the '04 Prius? My buddy at work has been on the list for over nine months, waiting for one fully loaded.

An unbelievable number of former Prius owners are upgrading, which should make for a lively used market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts