The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Longtime lurker here...prob 2 years...just listening and appreciating. I'm a gal in her mid years just continually conniving how to get one of these.

So here's my question. What is the minimum best value year for the non financially comfortable crowd? Is it 2011 because I can swing that. What about mileage?What is the point at which these cars become seriously expensive to own?

Me, I want one of those ardent red ones with the ivory interior and the black pack. Ohmigod!

Premium Member
That's a nice color combo. I can't speak for best value, but it depends on what's important to you. You should check out a local C&C or your local Lotus group. Check out the differences in lights, seats, pedal box, dash, etc.....
Can't go wrong with an 11?

Good luck and keep us posted. ????

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Registered
The earlier you go back, the cheaper it is but the more issues you'll have.. Only about half of the issues reported get fixed every following year. It's been 4 years and there are STILL issues being discussed in the latest models that were in the first year model.

There's really is no sweet spot, which I think is what you're asking.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The earlier you go back, the cheaper it is but the more issues you'll have.. Only about half of the issues reported get fixed every following year. It's been 4 years and there are STILL issues being discussed in the latest models that were in the first year model.

There's really is no sweet spot, which I think is what you're asking.
Yea I guess that's exactly it. Hoping and thinkin...

Registered
I'd agree with Squid, it's a case of finding a good one at the price you are happy with rather than focusing on the model year.

Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
When I was looking last year, I didn't look at anything earlier than a MY12. This included a different stereo head unit, slightly thicker steering wheel, improved leather quality, and you'd have the options of an S and for the first time an IPS. You'd also have a touch of warranty left with a MY12. I ended up with a MY13 which was new, but that was actually based more on the color combo with IPS transmission rather than the fact that it was new. Ardent red is still a current color so you should be able to find one pretty quick.

Registered
Had an 11 and would only look at 12+ due to upgrades.

Disciple of Chapman
I have an MY11 and it is a solid car. If it comes down to price obviously a 10 or 11 will be cheaper. I purchased a MY11 without the tech package and with the money I saved I put in my own stereo which far exceeds anything Lotus will install.
If your planning to mod I think you would do well with a MY11. With the money you saved you can do a lot of mods.
I do like the MY12 and above steering wheel and the improved leather. As for the rest all felt the same to me.

Registered
I have owned my 2011 for two years, I purchased it slightly used with 290 miles on the ODO. Mechanically, it has run and has been as reliable, as a, well, as a Toyota of course. :) Several small cosmetic flaws taken care if under warenty, but none of them big issues at all. So look for a used Evora that meets your most important criteria, then see if the niggles have been taken care of, don't let the small stuff scare you away from owning and driving a fantastic machine.

Premium Member
My Evora is a 2011 NA, 6 Speed, and mechanically has been perfect; NOT a single problem. I had a few of the usual cosmetic Warranty problems: A pillars, warped dash, etc., but all were covered. So, I see nothing wrong with a 2011. There were some interior upgrades in 2012 and 2013, but those are up to your impressions. Probably more important is the owner and service history. Some purchasers have discovered that their cars were Demo cars, that had been abused. An ECU dump might reveal some history.

Registered
I'm not sure there is a "minimum best value" definition based on the presence of the inverse sliding scale. The older the car, the lower the price to purchase, the higher the price to maintain, esp when the car exits the manufacturer's warranty.

Let's be honest. The Evora was never intended to be a cheap car to own unless you had the time, equipment and inclination to do all your own repairs. Even then, isn't there a price tag for one's time?

Registered
Hi guys. Longtime lurker here...prob 2 years...just listening and appreciating. I'm a gal in her mid years just continually conniving how to get one of these.

So here's my question. What is the minimum best value year for the non financially comfortable crowd? Is it 2011 because I can swing that. What about mileage?What is the point at which these cars become seriously expensive to own?

Me, I want one of those ardent red ones with the ivory interior and the black pack. Ohmigod!
Autosport in Huntington has a 12 in Ardent Red:
Autosport Designs

Hugh Angle is a salesman there who is a great guy and very helpful...I would call him to find out how much they can move, as they always do to move stock.

Also a 10 in Aqua on Oyster which I am sure you can get for a great deal.
Autosport Designs

Premium Member
They become seriously expensive to own when one starts to upgrade them. Also hitting crash barriers on a track. I'm at 20,000 miles with nothing but oil changes required for the past 15,000! I will add the tires/tyres will need replacing sooner than the tires on my Ford. 15K vs 80K.

Premium Member
One of the Chinese 2011 models with a full 2 year warranty is a very good bet. There are still several out there.

Toys R us!

highly recommend going 2012 or later....much better...plus IPS is out, so you can have automatic ! (if you wanted one)
Female owner here....just find someone to do your oil changes, Atlanta Lotus quoted me $450 for oil change....i was like, "no thank you"! lol

Registered
there are some nice 2010s and 2011s out there, you just have to find one that was cared for well, had all the warranty work taken care of, and had a conscientious owner. I have seen some ****bag 2012s as far as quality and warranty work needed.

It definitely comes down to the individual car and previous owner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the thoughts.

Another concern...I live in lower Fairfield county in southern CT...who services these cars around here?

Premium Member
Offer them 52K for their 2011 Chrome Orange at Secor and I bet they cut it loose! That 'll light up your eyes

Premium Member
1 - 20 of 26 Posts