The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new car. In the past few months I have been seriously considering a S2000 or a Z4. Then I remembered how I liked the appearance of the Lotus and didn’t know they were relatively inexpensive. I am getting ready to sell my Mustang GT Convertible and wanted a sportier car that is fun to drive. This being said, this Lotus will most likely be my daily driver except when it is raining (I also have a truck). I was wondering what I should be prepared for as far as maintenance costs. I have read that the rear tires don’t last very long. How expensive are they? How long do they last? I am not going to race this car at a track or anything like that. I am going to by relatively easy on it. I already called my insurance and they said it would only be $10.00 more a month. Does this car require more then a s2000 or a Z4? Am I going to have to change the clutch every 12k miles etc? Please help me. Also how long do these cars tend to last? 100k miles? 500k miles?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
891 Posts
Get the S2k. The Elise is not a very comfortable daily driver. The reason the rear tires don't last is because they are stickier tire compounds. If you are looking for inexpensive, steer away because 1 accident is at least 10k of damage.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
mine didn't even make the trip home from the dealership before it vanished out from under me.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This may not be the car for you - you should do a lot of reading and research on this board, try to meet up with some local owners, etc.

In a nutshell, this is not like a "regular" car, and it's not cheap to own, esp. not cheap to repair. But it's a lot of fun to drive. :)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Where are you located. Maintenance cost can vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Overall, the cost of maintaining an Elise is low. Remember the Toyota drivetrain. And for as many people say you can't drive an Elise every day I'll show you just as many that do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live near San Francisco. I wanted the Lotus because of how great it looks. The s2000 and the Z4 don't look nearly as great as the Lotus. If I did crash the car I would have it fully insured so I am not worried about the 10k it would cost to get it repaired.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I live near San Francisco. I wanted the Lotus because of how great it looks. The s2000 and the Z4 don't look nearly as great as the Lotus. If I did crash the car I would have it fully insured so I am not worried about the 10k it would cost to get it repaired.
I'm gonna say that if the main thing you like about the Lotus is the looks, you're probably going to hate it as a car.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I am looking to buy a new car. In the past few months I have been seriously considering a S2000 or a Z4. Then I remembered how I liked the appearance of the Lotus and didn’t know they were relatively inexpensive. I am getting ready to sell my Mustang GT Convertible and wanted a sportier car that is fun to drive. This being said, this Lotus will most likely be my daily driver except when it is raining (I also have a truck). I was wondering what I should be prepared for as far as maintenance costs. I have read that the rear tires don’t last very long. How expensive are they? How long do they last? I am not going to race this car at a track or anything like that. I am going to by relatively easy on it. I already called my insurance and they said it would only be $10.00 more a month. Does this car require more then a s2000 or a Z4? Am I going to have to change the clutch every 12k miles etc? Please help me. Also how long do these cars tend to last? 100k miles? 500k miles?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
About $1000 a year. If you don't track it. While under warranty.

Tires are expensive, so that's something to think about too...

Toyota engine and transmission. Easy to fix. Clutch can last up to 60000 miles or more.

They last as long as we keep them...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
See Sorinne at Lotus San Francisco. :cool:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love fast cars. I want to test drive one, but I have no idea who will let me?
If you're a serious buyer any dealership should let you drive one.

I don't think of the Elise as a 'fast' car. I look at it more as a 'quick' car. It's not that fast in a straight line. Where it shines is in the turns. People looking for torque often become disenchanted by the Lotus after a short time. There are aftermarket cures for that problem though... :shift:

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love fast cars. I want to test drive one, but I have no idea who will let me?
It's not that it's a fast car, it's that it's really unlike the cars you're comparing it to in terms of amenities, build quality, comfort and practicality. I'm not trying to scare you off, but tons of these cars with low mileage have flipped through several owners because someone bought one 'cause they liked how it looked and then found that they couldn't live with it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Go for the S2000. The Lotus does look great but it rattles and the build quallity just isn't great. Also, do some serious searching around here about repair costs. Simple 3 mph bumps can be 14K. Insurance or not, it ususally takes a long time to repair, fighting with insurance, deminished value claims, etc.

It can be used as a daily driver as long as you have no fat friends or anything much larger than a brief case. I wouldn't parallel park it and certainly never take it to a carwash. The s2000 is just an easier car to own/live with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your responses. I agree that I need to test drive one first. I will test drive one this weekend. I also want to buy a ferrari or lamboghini but those arn't in my budget. I Just really wanted an exotic car that is affordable. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in the Napa Valley, Wine Country. I commute to work. This is about 5 miles to home and back. I would put about 10 miles on it a day. I would never parallel park (I don't live in San Francisco).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Try checking your local Enterprise rental car. Some places have an Elise you can rent for a weekend.

Also, a 5 mile commute to work in Nappa Valley may be the right types of roads to justify using an Elise to commute to work. You can also get some really good discounts on 2007 Elise right now - or wait a few weeks for a supercharged 2008 Elise.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts