The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever you're planning a trip, if you have any special access needs, it's easy to check beforehand and see if the place you're going is handicapped accessible. But let's be honest, in their own way, Lotuses have their own special access needs. They don't have much ground clearance, they need a pretty smooth road, and you probably won't do your bodywork any favors driving on a coarse gravel road.

So, for those of us who use our cars for trips, I thought that maybe it would be useful to start a google map cataloging a list of places that are or aren't able to be easily accessed in a Lotus.

And so I give you... The map of Lotus accessible areas. (I even made a cool logo and everything!)

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zthkMt1Ucj_w.kW9WBy64TJR0

I've already added a few spots, and that link should provide access to add new markers to the map. Just find a place that you've been in a Lotus or at least have first hand experience with, and add a marker with a description.

To add a marker, click the little marker button just below the search bar, place your marker, and give it a title and a description of the area. I figure that green can stand for places that are Lotus accessible, yellow can be places that are either questionable or you need to use caution in, and red can be places that you would definitely not recommend taking a Lotus, either from a bad experience first hand, or just by seeing the place and knowing that it's not Lotus friendly. For instance, if there's a business that you know has an entrance that is too steep to drive a Lotus into without scraping, mark it red.

To change the color of the marker, hover over the name of the spot in the list on the left, and click on the little icon to the right of the name. It should open up a color palate to allow you to change the color of the marker.

Obviously there are about a million places all over the world that you could take a Lotus without issues, so I'd recommend just limiting the green markers to places that you think others might be concerned about taking a Lotus. For instance, I put two campgrounds on there. I was unsure if I could drive a Lotus into them without risking damage, but in the one case, I did without problem, and in the other case, I can clearly see that nothing in the campground would pose an issue.

Is this a dumb idea? Maybe. Are there too few Lotus owners willing to contribute to this to make it really useful? Possibly. But I figure that maybe at some point, if people add enough points onto the map, maybe someday the information will be useful to someone trying to decide if they should or shouldn't drive a Lotus somewhere for fear of damaging it.

(Feel free to move this thread if necessary. I figured it had enough general appeal to put it here.)

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
ah, its a cool idea but would be best if you made an app for it. More like a one button solution. Would be cool to see a few other things like lotus friendly repair shops.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it should be more of a complete companion for Lotus owners, not just a map of where you can and can't drive a Lotus.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The idea has merit but getting people to help is the problem. Also you may ask to get this moved to general as apposed to the Elise section.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
There is a Wyoming State Highway that is all gravel. F#m7 low-tax states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts