The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most likely seen by this list before, I found this image of the new 14 Exige yesterday. Without the wing, really quite striking in this color combination with the painted wheels. Too bad Lotus can't meet the US requirements for import. This would be the perfect replacement to my Elise SC. The uniqueness of Lotus, with the power and styling update. Anyone from Lotus listening?

dvj

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of red seats but damn that looks good.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
987 Posts
The red seats somehow aren't as bright as some I've seen. Overall, very clean and nice color combination. If that were in the states, I would have had to really think between the Exige and Evora.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
When I was a kid our foks had a silver grey Mercedes sedan with a dark red leather interior. Back when there was wood all around the windows. A striking, classy car.

We'll have something like this on our streets someday.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
That is the Exige Roadster. Essentially the V6 Exige S without the front splitter, roof, or rear wing. I think it is the best looking variant since the S1 Exige and I want one badly!

The good point is that it is road legal in Australia :)
The not so good point is that it is $145k :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
145k$ That is insanity! I suppose you get quite a bit more for you money with a SC 6 and only a weight gain of 100 lbs? Hard to find solid specs on it, but seems like 2100 lbs give or take. I think it looks great, just needs new wheels.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
145k$ That is insanity! I suppose you get quite a bit more for you money with a SC 6 and only a weight gain of 100 lbs? Hard to find solid specs on it, but seems like 2100 lbs give or take. I think it looks great, just needs new wheels.
An Elise is ~$92k. Car prices in Australia are high due to various taxes and import restrictions. I paid $65k for my Elise when I bought it seven years ago... it was three years old and had been $105k new.

On the positive side all Elise and Exige variants except the 2-eleven are road legal in Australia. :)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Most likely seen by this list before, I found this image of the new 14 Exige yesterday. Without the wing, really quite striking in this color combination with the painted wheels. Too bad Lotus can't meet the US requirements for import. This would be the perfect replacement to my Elise SC. The uniqueness of Lotus, with the power and styling update. Anyone from Lotus listening?

dvj
They're listening alright, unfortunately the strict DOT rules in the US, it would have to be a completely different car than what you see which means more $$ in R&D and would not pencil financially. Maybe in the not so distant future, Lotus will be able to overcome this.

·
Registered
959 Posts
They're listening alright, unfortunately the strict DOT rules in the US, it would have to be a completely different car than what you see which means more $$ in R&D and would not pencil financially. Maybe in the not so distant future, Lotus will be able to overcome this.
Hi Abe,

Are you saying it's the crash test rules that are preventing the V6 Exiges from coming over here?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Lion - its not the crash test rules, its the bumper and airbag rules. In the Elise/Exige its the lack of bumpers. They had an exemption but NHTSA would not renew it. There are also issues with the airbag system that were exempted, but the bumpers did them in.

Damn that new one looks great!

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Is the bumper issue related to the safety of the passengers or pedestrians or the car, or what?

And yes, what a brilliant car this is.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Is the bumper issue related to the safety of the passengers or pedestrians or the car, or what?
None of the above - its not a safety issue.

It is to do with meeting the 2.5mph crash test - a test that was implemented to reduce insurance costs... but instead trained US drivers to believe that parking by braille is an acceptable practice :wallbang:
And yes, what a brilliant car this is.
Indeed it is :)

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
None of the above - its not a safety issue.

It is to do with meeting the 2.5mph crash test - a test that was implemented to reduce insurance costs... but instead trained US drivers to believe that parking by braille is an acceptable practice :wallbang:

Indeed it is :)
If they required the door sills to be scratch proof we'd really be sunk.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Nice one Bob!

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
That front end is certainly form over function. Terrible for both DF and drag :facepalm

Looks cool though... :eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
An Elise is ~$92k. Car prices in Australia are high due to various taxes and import restrictions. I paid $65k for my Elise when I bought it seven years ago... it was three years old and had been $105k new.

On the positive side all Elise and Exige variants except the 2-eleven are road legal in Australia. :)
Gotcha I have a friend from Aus and I asked his girl if she even knew what they were (sorta a car girl) and she said sorta, but shes never seen one. I'm guessing they are pretty rare there? Just crazy couldn't you import and ship one from MERICA for waayyyy cheaper than 90k? I mean say 30k to buy.. 5-10k to ship... .. .SO 52k for taxes????

1 - 20 of 29 Posts