The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

I Want

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  XHILR8N! 
#1 ·
Most likely seen by this list before, I found this image of the new 14 Exige yesterday. Without the wing, really quite striking in this color combination with the painted wheels. Too bad Lotus can't meet the US requirements for import. This would be the perfect replacement to my Elise SC. The uniqueness of Lotus, with the power and styling update. Anyone from Lotus listening?

dvj

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not usually a fan of red seats but damn that looks good.

#6 ·
When I was a kid our foks had a silver grey Mercedes sedan with a dark red leather interior. Back when there was wood all around the windows. A striking, classy car.

We'll have something like this on our streets someday.

#7 ·
That is the Exige Roadster. Essentially the V6 Exige S without the front splitter, roof, or rear wing. I think it is the best looking variant since the S1 Exige and I want one badly!

The good point is that it is road legal in Australia :)
The not so good point is that it is $145k :(

#9 ·
145k$ That is insanity! I suppose you get quite a bit more for you money with a SC 6 and only a weight gain of 100 lbs? Hard to find solid specs on it, but seems like 2100 lbs give or take. I think it looks great, just needs new wheels.

#10 ·
145k$ That is insanity! I suppose you get quite a bit more for you money with a SC 6 and only a weight gain of 100 lbs? Hard to find solid specs on it, but seems like 2100 lbs give or take. I think it looks great, just needs new wheels.
An Elise is ~$92k. Car prices in Australia are high due to various taxes and import restrictions. I paid $65k for my Elise when I bought it seven years ago... it was three years old and had been $105k new.

On the positive side all Elise and Exige variants except the 2-eleven are road legal in Australia. :)

#11 ·
Most likely seen by this list before, I found this image of the new 14 Exige yesterday. Without the wing, really quite striking in this color combination with the painted wheels. Too bad Lotus can't meet the US requirements for import. This would be the perfect replacement to my Elise SC. The uniqueness of Lotus, with the power and styling update. Anyone from Lotus listening?

dvj
They're listening alright, unfortunately the strict DOT rules in the US, it would have to be a completely different car than what you see which means more $$ in R&D and would not pencil financially. Maybe in the not so distant future, Lotus will be able to overcome this.

#13 ·
Lion - its not the crash test rules, its the bumper and airbag rules. In the Elise/Exige its the lack of bumpers. They had an exemption but NHTSA would not renew it. There are also issues with the airbag system that were exempted, but the bumpers did them in.

Damn that new one looks great!

#14 ·
Is the bumper issue related to the safety of the passengers or pedestrians or the car, or what?

And yes, what a brilliant car this is.

#15 ·
Is the bumper issue related to the safety of the passengers or pedestrians or the car, or what?
None of the above - its not a safety issue.

It is to do with meeting the 2.5mph crash test - a test that was implemented to reduce insurance costs... but instead trained US drivers to believe that parking by braille is an acceptable practice :wallbang:
And yes, what a brilliant car this is.
Indeed it is :)

#19 ·
That front end is certainly form over function. Terrible for both DF and drag :facepalm

Looks cool though... :eek:

#21 ·
how the heck do people get used to shifting with there left hand? I bought my Europa in '78 in England when stationed at RAF Bentwaters, and had a hell of an adjustment period. I mean , I am not ambidextrous. Can't do things equally well with either hand.

#24 ·
Honestly, it's not a big deal. When I restored my Moke, I converted it back to right hand drive. The gearbox is a a very long thrown and to go from first to second with no synchro, it feels like I have to cross a swamp of broken glass and mad alligators. It's not a smooth shifting experience.

That being said, I got used to in about 5 minutes. Granted, this is in a Moke for around town cruising and not performance driving, but it's pretty easy.

#23 ·
I tend to prefer the skittles colors on our cars, but the lines on this one are more refined, so it works.

I think the charcoal grey over oxblood red is such a classic design.

#25 ·
As it appears the new Exige Roadster will never make it to the US in a street legal version, I'll vote by going another company. Just add the red interior. :facepalm

Kool wheels however.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Attachments

#26 ·
Have you seen this new Vette in real life? Talk about cheap crappy junk. I was really looking forward to it, maybe would have considered one.

It's built out of the same stuff and fit and finish as a RC Vette you'd buy at a gas station.

#29 ·
It did sound odd to me too.

Right after I wrote that I drove out of my office parking lot to see a brand new red Stingray parked in front of the Huddle House 24 hour breakfast place. A crowd of amazed and grinning locals surrounding it.

A new Lotus offers a level of fit and finish a league above the new Vette.

We saw this one at Goodwood last year

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Personal luxury car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.