The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting here thinking "How cool would the Evora look with popup headlights

Seriously, Think about it. ;)
Anyone want to take a P-Shop crack at it?

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
For state that require DRL's that may defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just add LED DRLs to the lower side intakes. I though popup headlights were done in by the fact that they tend to be pedestrian unfriendly (not like any pedestrian collision is friendly).

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
It isn't the eighties or nineties anymore dude.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I though popup headlights were done in by the fact that they tend to be pedestrian unfriendly
This is part of it but the Mclaren F1 is also to blame. The F1 was originally going to have pop up headlights but they found that they had a significant impact on aerodynamics. Specifically popping up the lights moved the aerodynamic centre of pressure significantly potentially destabilising the car when at speed.

(not like any pedestrian collision is friendly).
So true :)

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
the only car i have had with pop up headlights was my TVR 280i and m100 élan - which is as brgelise properly predicted, were built in 80's and 90's respectively...

pop up headlight suck for a variety or reasons - they add: weight, cost, and lack reliability.
there is no reasonable way to make them aerodynamic.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The irony is that popup headlights were invented as aerodynamic enhancement. The 30's Art Deco movement brought forth Streamline Moderne design concepts, largely influenced by (or perhaps a reaction to) golden age of the airplane, and the concept of aerodynamics.. It was all about conveying the feeling of speed and flights of fancy, or maybe more accurately, the fantasies of flight...

What's amazing is the concept lasted through the 80s well into the 90s, and a handful of cars of the early 2000s. I remember the NSX still had popup headlights then.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
streamlining and low frontal area, are two different aero concepts though - the first cars like, say a Cord. were streamlined yes, but they were huge tall front ends!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What's amazing is the concept lasted through the 80s well into the 90s, and a handful of cars of the early 2000s. I remember the NSX still had popup headlights then.[/QUOTE]

I always heard it was because headlight covers were illegal until then.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
streamlining and low frontal area, are two different aero concepts though - the first cars like, say a Cord. were streamlined yes, but they were huge tall front ends!
yeah, I guess it was purely an aesthetic homage to aerodynamics, but not actually intended as an enhancement.. figure those cars didn't go very fast anyway... at least not enough to matter much lol

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
FWIW I was reading an article recently about pop up lights and it stated the Esprit was the last car to have them. By 2004 everything else either was remodeled or had them replaced like the NSX

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
What's amazing is the concept lasted through the 80s well into the 90s, and a handful of cars of the early 2000s. I remember the NSX still had popup headlights then.
I always heard it was because headlight covers were illegal until then.[/QUOTE]

And for such a wonderful contemporary design, that 1 item has dated it! Too bad as I saw a white one on Sunday and the car is definitely Honda's best work after the CRX 1st gen and 2nd Gen Prelude (86-87)

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Back when headlights forced the car shape to change, barn doors (aka pop-up headlights) made a lot of sense to keep the daytime car aesthetics and aerodynamics. But now that projector headlights allow the car shape to be maintained without compromise, they are not really needed. I really like the current look.

·
Less is Better
2,793 Posts
Pop-ups were a necessity when headlight technology required 4-5 inch diameter units. Headlights were huge and not very aerodynamic.

When manufacturers tried to reduce the size of their headlights using traditional reflectors, like the Chrysler LH cars, the results were horrible. The best option for a sleek appearance and good aerodynamics most of the time was a pop-up.

That's what changed in the 90s, we got projector beams, suddenly small headlight units were effective and the cars could be aerodynamic all the time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The really cool thing about popup headlights was ...

They could wink it at you ...

Or look like they were ready to cry ...

Or look butt ugly ...

Or even bat an eyelash.

·
Premium Member
6,990 Posts
ok funny!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts