The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how you guys convice your "other half" to let you race?

i told my gf that after i finish the miata i want to take it to a track..but she thinks i will end up killing myself but she has said that she will track it for me tho. i told her its something i really wanted to do and she said no way...then i said then whats the point of buying a lotus? she got silent after that.

** im sure this is in the wrong section i just couldnt figure out which this should be under**

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Maybe track and technique? It is a good question. I was told years ago that if I went wheel to wheel, I was going as a single guy. So I did not. Later, she backed off that for some reason, maybe not worried about me... or more likely, not as big a loss now. :) :)

I would suggest maybe easing in? Do you autocross?

·
Registered
657 Posts
That is interesting!

:huh: She will track it but won't let you!! You sure you are getting the Lotus for you or her? :)

Just go do an event together so she sees first hand how track days are run (pick a good group). I find most drive more safely on the track that what you on the road on a daily basis. And you are surrounded by people (most!) who repect the track and cars.

Do it together...She might warm up to it then.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i dont do anything yet i havnt had time..but recently i got a promotion(which i forgot to mention on here when i got it) i have alot more free time and it came with a nice pay raise..i was talking to her and i think she might be thinking of me racing in like a race like this....
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D52uNQfqiwk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D52uNQfqiwk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

her dad used to drag race and he got into a couple accidents so i get why she could be worried. but at the same time, who cares about how fast i can go in a straight line?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Tell her:
1) it's safer to race on the track than on the street, so she should be glad you want to do it in a safe environment (guilt tactic)
2) tell her there are lots of turns so you aren't "really" going that fast and the worst that will happen is just that you'll spin out (whether it's true or not)
Don't do a ride-along with her at track, however. If she's anti-racing she'll probably freak out on a ride-along with all of the hard corners...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well heres another weird thing about this. she cant wait till her dad gives her their monza drag car that can do 11s all motor. plus hes hooking up nitrous and a bigger motor in it. and she thinks ill be going fast

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
^^^ WTH? Wait, she wants to race but doesn't want you to race? I'm confused...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats whats makes it more confusing

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sethy, have you ever been on a track?

·
Banned
874 Posts
just reading ur above posts and

WTF:huh:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
who cares about how fast i can go in a straight line?
Me. every time I come out of a corner, for one.
Have you driven a 10 second car?
Not that dull really.
Or easy to do well.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I smell hypocrisy?!?!

dude be a man and just race!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I smell hypocrisy?!?!

dude be a man and just race!
If she's worried about your life or health, grow a pair and go racing. Chicks like guys who drive race cars (and a thousand other dangerous hobbies). You can get a new one if this one doesn't like it.

Be true to yourself, and then you can be true to others.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Why is she so controlling? Obviously she's not against racing in general. It sounds like she just doesn't want you racing. I've usually had pretty good luck with telling women that it's simply not their decision. They usually stick around. :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
ive been in a car going around a track..but not driven myself
Therein lies the problem. You want to run before you walk. Try doing a track day before having racer aspirations. :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Most of the unhappily married women I know would just triple the lfe insurance on their husbands and hope that the new stainless steel brakes likes werent tightened all the way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts