The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke with Allen at Beverly Hills Lotus. Anyone else interested in doing a group buy on his Vacuum Accumulators? I told him I'd give him a call back with the number interested to get a price. He said it would be between $200 and $300. I'm looking to order by the end of the month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is it?

If it was something to do with making the A/C better I totally in.

This is my texas daily driver!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
not related to AC...it is a brake issue...search "ice mode"....

or it could be something like thisrotfl

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Just spoke with Allen at Beverly Hills Lotus. Anyone else interested in doing a group buy on his Vacuum Accumulators? I told him I'd give him a call back with the number interested to get a price. He said it would be between $200 and $300. I'm looking to order by the end of the month.
I'm interested... if it really eliminates the stereotypical "Ice Mode after WOT", and I can install it myself...

Any pics of the accumulator installed?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested... if it really eliminates the stereotypical "Ice Mode after WOT", and I can install it myself...

Any pics of the accumulator installed?
Yes, Allen said it solves ice mode after WOT and that installation is simple. No pics of install.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Randy Chase is running one of the original protypes. Perhaps he can vouch for Allen's reliability.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm in if it works...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ice Mode Letter to Lotus....

A month ago, I sent a letter about Ice Mode (with 50 LT member's names) to Lotus in Duluth, Georgia. I checked the tracker on the certified letter and Lotus received the letter four weeks ago!

I haven't heard anything, not even a "peep" from Lotus.

If I can find a phone number, I'll give Lotus a call Monday.

--Hal

·
Registered
353 Posts
A month ago, I sent a letter about Ice Mode (with 50 LT member's names) to Lotus in Duluth, Georgia. I checked the tracker on the certified letter and Lotus received the letter four weeks ago!

I haven't heard anything, not even a "peep" from Lotus.

If I can find a phone number, I'll give Lotus a call Monday.

--Hal
Toll-Free 1-800-24-LOTUS ( 1-800-245-6887 )
Tel 770 476 6540
Fax 770 476 6541

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks Clovis!

I'll post the results of my call Monday.
I hope something positive will happen.

--Hal

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am not trying to poo-poo your efforts here, but who ever said that ice mode was caused by lack of vacuum? And if it is, isnt there usually a check valve in the hose going from the engine to the brake booster. If so, the vacuum applied to the booster would not get sucked out (or rather sucked in) when you go to WOT because the check valve would maintain the vacuum. That would allow you one brake application on the stored vacuum. By the time you needed a second brake application, vacuum would be regenerated because I assume you would not be at WOT if you were jamming on the brakes.

Another thing. Lots of cars had vacuum accumulators in the 80's. They were just a big plastic ball about the size of a softball that was plumbed in line with the vacuum system. Presumably it has a check valve also to protect against WOT. For that matter, ANYTHING that would withstand 15 psi of pressure could act as a vacuum reservoir. $200 is a bit pricey for a sealed, lightweight container. How about this...go to store, buy 6 pack of beer in the plastic bottles (if they still sell those), drink beer, go to hardware store and buy a check valve and a bulkhead fitting and a tee. Plumb the whole mess into the vacuum system and hide the bottle so no one sees that you used a plastic beer bottle as a vacuum reservoir.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am not trying to poo-poo your efforts here, but who ever said that ice mode was caused by lack of vacuum? And if it is, isnt there usually a check valve in the hose going from the engine to the brake booster. If so, the vacuum applied to the booster would not get sucked out (or rather sucked in) when you go to WOT because the check valve would maintain the vacuum. That would allow you one brake application on the stored vacuum. By the time you needed a second brake application, vacuum would be regenerated because I assume you would not be at WOT if you were jamming on the brakes.
This was addressed earlier in other threads. At least one (I thought more) had their check valve(s) replaced. It didn't fix the problem. Apparently, it takes too long to restore the lost brake system vacuum after braking when running under extreme WOT, then quick brake, then WOT, then repeat, ... If the time off the throttle is longer, it could restore the brake system vacuum. However, that isn't always the case.

If it isn't just simply a design weakness, I might also guess that there may be too much air flow restriction in the check valve(s), pinched vacuum lines, or some other restriction that causes the vacuum to be restored too slow.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The vacuum line runs a long way from the engine to the front of the car.
Not exactly a large diameter either.
You're exactly right Jim. I had thought mounting the vacuum accumulator close to the master cylinder would have been ideal; however, Allen said that they've had the best results with mounting it just behind the rear driver/passenger (can't remember which) wheel well.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have one up front. I guess I'll add another one in the back.

I have zero confidence in my brakes. Goes rock hard at the worst time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts