Done. Replaced the hoses underneath the plenum, gauge temp sensor and refreshed the plenum in wrinkle red (interesting stuff - takes a long time to dry but when it does it looks great). New gaskets and fuel line banjo seals. ARP makes a nice bolt kit that JAE sent me. Thanks for your help gentlemen. Fun job.
So, did you find the broken hose and is it running better now? Also, for the future, list the paint (where you got it, and the #). I like the LOTUS letters shiny like you did it after you painted it.
The hose was a vent hose that connects to the check valve on the firewall. I believe on the early cars only it was clear and degrades over time and falls apart as soon as you touch it. Same junk hose is used on the coolant overflow bottle in the wheel well. Engine seems to run more quiet but probably just in my head
This paint is peculiar and I've seen Ferrari guys use it as well. VHT wrinkle red. 3 heavy coats with 5 mins to dry in between each coat. 48 hours to dry. Even more time to cure. After 48 hrs use a blade to scrape of the LOTUS letters then mask around and block sand the letters a day later....
Really nice job. Ironically, I just took my plenum off to get to me starter. I have done it once before a few years back, so it was easier this time. I replaced the clear hose last time, but only up to t he check valve and sure enough this time the check valve feel apart in my hand. Still trying to get one of the starter bolts out. What a pain as no socket will fit over it. The only thing I can get over it is an open end wrench. Your manifold looks great.
Thanks Esprit1. I found that hockey pucks were a great aid to use as spacers when lifting the plenum up far enough to disconnect the connectors that are difficult to reach. They can be stood on their side as well and fit perfectly in the slots on the valve covers. Obviously a mirror also helps. Fuel pressure did not have to be relieved when the car sat overnight.
We did an 1100 mile trip on the weekend. The car ran like a top. There is no longer any fluctuation with the temp gauge so changing the gauge sensor on top of the engine near the thermostat was the fix. Stayed solid at roughly 90 degrees the entire trip.