The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were about a dozen of these in the center console when I purchased the car. I found another sitting on top of the manifold as well.
I haven't a clue as to what they're for.....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Looks like caps that were on the top of the plenum bolts ?
V8.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but they fit fairly loosely and figured they would just fall off with the vibration. Did some cars have these bolt caps?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I believe they are aftermarket 'bling' that don't quite fit (probably why they were in the center console!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. They're going in the trash!
I'm pulling the plenum this weekend for a refresh. Looks like fun

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wuz gonna say they looked like Cazuni Quarters, worth about 19 cents American today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol....and that's being generous.
I'm pulling the plenum this weekend. Looks like the floor has to come out for access to the compressor ducts. I'll post pics afterwards.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Unless you have an actual problem that requires removal of the plenum, you should leave it alone.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a vent hose underneath it that's broken that needs replacement. Figured I'd freshen up the plenum and replace the coolant temp sensor as well that's somewhat on the fritz.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The coolant temp sensor is not a high failure rate item. You could just have a bad connection somewhere.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done. Replaced the hoses underneath the plenum, gauge temp sensor and refreshed the plenum in wrinkle red (interesting stuff - takes a long time to dry but when it does it looks great). New gaskets and fuel line banjo seals. ARP makes a nice bolt kit that JAE sent me. Thanks for your help gentlemen. Fun job.

Before - some hacker spray bombed the top.

During:

Completed:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice job! Did you have to pull the trunk floor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely have to pull the floor. Very easy to do now that I've done it. 10 minute job.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
So, did you find the broken hose and is it running better now? Also, for the future, list the paint (where you got it, and the #). I like the LOTUS letters shiny like you did it after you painted it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hose was a vent hose that connects to the check valve on the firewall. I believe on the early cars only it was clear and degrades over time and falls apart as soon as you touch it. Same junk hose is used on the coolant overflow bottle in the wheel well. Engine seems to run more quiet but probably just in my head :)

This paint is peculiar and I've seen Ferrari guys use it as well. VHT wrinkle red. 3 heavy coats with 5 mins to dry in between each coat. 48 hours to dry. Even more time to cure. After 48 hrs use a blade to scrape of the LOTUS letters then mask around and block sand the letters a day later....

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
Really nice job. Ironically, I just took my plenum off to get to me starter. I have done it once before a few years back, so it was easier this time. I replaced the clear hose last time, but only up to t he check valve and sure enough this time the check valve feel apart in my hand. Still trying to get one of the starter bolts out. What a pain as no socket will fit over it. The only thing I can get over it is an open end wrench. Your manifold looks great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Esprit1. I found that hockey pucks were a great aid to use as spacers when lifting the plenum up far enough to disconnect the connectors that are difficult to reach. They can be stood on their side as well and fit perfectly in the slots on the valve covers. Obviously a mirror also helps. Fuel pressure did not have to be relieved when the car sat overnight.

We did an 1100 mile trip on the weekend. The car ran like a top. There is no longer any fluctuation with the temp gauge so changing the gauge sensor on top of the engine near the thermostat was the fix. Stayed solid at roughly 90 degrees the entire trip.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
How orange did the paint stay?

VHT used to make an orange years ago and the red is pure red, or used to be

I saw some videos that say the orange goes red when it cures

1 - 20 of 21 Posts