·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PROBLEM FIXED:
Issue: CEL caused by heavy rain?

--

Hey,

I've owned my 05 Elise for about two months now and from the start she was having minor hiccups at idle (small RPM drop, erratic idle). Well recently it started to get worse and it finally threw a CEL, but it hasn't died yet. It only had 1500 miles on it when I got it so I don't think it's anything serious but I'm leaning towards throttle cable or ignition related. Anyone have a similar issue, any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
pull the MIL code. that's the first place to start.

you car is trying to tell you something.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Your problem has been addressed many times at this forum.

Do the following:
0) Clear the CEL with an OBD-II reader.
1) Clean the throat of your throttle body. Use a $3 spray can of throttle body cleaner from your local auto parts store.
2) Adjust the idle set screw on the throttle body. While the ECU does control idle, the set screw sets a lower bound on it. This is what the dealer would do if you brought it in to fix your rough idle (or stalling) problem.
3) When the Fujita was installed, it should have been allowed to idle for at least 15 minutes before driving it (or rev'ing the engine). Then, a series of short drives (with ignition off for a few minutes between) with progressively more throttle each time in order to let the engine adapt to the different intake. I have posted my procedure before. The first time I installed my Fujita, I got a CEL (I didn't let the ECU learn). I switched back to the stock air box for awhile, then back to the Fujita, a couple of times. If I went through the above process, I didn't get a CEL.
4) If the air filter is dirty, you can get a CEL and rough idle.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Yes, Fujita.
There's your problem.

It's been said a hundred times in other threads, but now you have a junk reading on your MAF sensor. You need to straighten the airflow over it like the factory did.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There's your problem.

It's been said a hundred times in other threads, but now you have a junk reading on your MAF sensor. You need to straighten the airflow over it like the factory did.
A few people have said it a hundred times. I agree, straightening out the air flow would be a good thing, but the degree of the issue is not known, and may be trivial.

I have a Fujita, and I don't get CELs. I get a nice, stable idle when the throttle body is clean, the idle set screw is adjusted properly, and the air filter is clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts