The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have hit 600 miles within 9 hours of owning the car. Come on people how can you get this amazing car and *gasp* not be done breaking it in? Get in car, point it towards mountains, drive. Once you are there, remember the mantra. "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

My boxster was on the track within 2 weeks of receiving it. That includes a 2k mile "keep it in the lower rpm" schedule!

GO! GO! GO!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I had my Elise now, I'd get on Atlanta Motor Speedway (I-285) and do laps around Atlanta until it was broken in. :p I think it's 64 or so miles around Atlanta, so 10 laps should do it. ;) Of course I would make sure to vary the rpms, exit every once and a while, and keep it below the cams.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd be loading it on the trailer right now to take it to SEdiv # 3 tomorrow, that or picking up strippers at the Pink Pony. It would really be a tossup.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
scot said:
have hit 600 miles within 9 hours of owning the car.
GO! GO! GO!
Really?

600 divided by 9 = 66.67.

So you would need to average almost 67 mph for 9 straight hours to accomplish that. Doesn't sound like my idea of fun.

I'd be willing to shoot for picking the car up on Friday and hitting 600 by the end of the weekend.

There will be a test before you are allowed to pick up your Elise. And there will be math. Start studying. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
auburn,
dont know what 285 your talking about, it's gridlock basically all day long, not going to do anything but practice slipping the clutch on 285!:D
Chris
rotfl Good point Chris. I might would have to do it at 2:00 in the morning to avoid traffic. Even then, gridlock is still possible.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i am seriously considering a plan that calls for car pickup on the first day possible and scheduling the first service one week later with an intervening road trip...either down the coast and back or along a backroads tour of the southern mountains. and after the initial service i intend to point the elise at good old US 129 in tennessee (even if it requires driving a bit of it in NC).

·
Registered
670 Posts
I want to make sure it's worth more when I sell it so I'll be keeping the mileage down. Probably won't hit 600 miles for about 6 months. :D

Yeah right

Steve

·
Registered
758 Posts
If I had my elise right now I would....call it MaryJane :)

Scot - They recommend that you shouldn't take the car to a track before the first service.

LotusLust - Wouldn't that mean you'll be driving at the same RPMs for most the break-in period ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jml: 66.7 mph on average yes. Noone is saying you have to drive only that speed. Remember the manual says "constantly vary" the speed. Fast then slow then fast then slow again. Mix in a whole bunch of turns and elevation changes, and we are talking about fun!

Scot

·
Registered
41 Posts
if I had mine right this sec, I'd go cruising the streets - not busy streets, but like the roads out back in the quieter neighborhood area sorts of places that have no traffic. Not really breaking any speeding laws (or at least nothing too crazy anyway - break in period remember?), but just enjoying the car with the top down and taking corners just a tad fast.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AuburnSpyder said:
Of course I would make sure to vary the rpms, exit every once and a while, and keep it below the cams.
Break-in instructions do not require you to keep below VV.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tech,
They don't specify to keep below the cams for the first 600 miles but I was told by LCU guys it's a good idea to stay under the cams below 600 miles. Probably not a hell of a lot of diff either way, but I'll do it anyway. The emphasis in the manual is mainly to vary speeds, keep moderate throttle with short bursts to higher rpms (ie not sustained)
Chris

·
Registered
211 Posts
Right I would be agonizing about taking it out when there's a 40% chance of rain today. Yes, I'm that anal.

Well, whoever buys it from me will have a perfect car (I'll show them this post) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts