The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you attack me, I dd a 5 sp Miata for 7 years and taught sons 1&2 how to drive on that car. They in turn own manual VAGS so my save the manuals job is done:)
Anyway, the question is what is more awesome. the supercharged six or the dual clutch.
Need your takes. This will be my first Lotus and my experience is with boosted 4 cylinders. Pic of my tuned 400hp base TT:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d also like to apologize there’s an exact thread already started on this very subject. Tried to delete it but couldn’t.
so far I’ve only driven the 400 manual. The MB cars are tough to track down and the sales managers don’t like the look of me when I ask for a test drive but I’ll keep at it.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,519 Posts
The MB cars are tough to track down and the sales managers don’t like the look of me when I ask for a test drive but I’ll keep at it.
I agree totally. I have been trying to find an AMG CLA45 to test drive for 7 months now. All I get from the dealer is that there are none available used and I should order one if I want to test drive it. Really? I'm going to order one to do the test drive? o_O:oops: I am hoping to find one to test drive and will post impressions/video if I do.

Reactions: lion shf

·
Administrator
11,995 Posts
I agree totally. I have been trying to find an AMG CLA45 to test drive for 7 months now. All I get from the dealer is that there are none available used and I should order one if I want to test drive it. Really? I'm going to order one to do the test drive? o_O:oops: I am hoping to find one to test drive and will post impressions/video if I do.
Gee they sound like....LOTUS. haha

• Haha
Reactions: LotusB and Glamrock

·
Registered
88 Posts
Before you attack me, I dd a 5 sp Miata for 7 years and taught sons 1&2 how to drive on that car. They in turn own manual VAGS so my save the manuals job is done:)
Anyway, the question is what is more awesome. the supercharged six or the dual clutch.
Need your takes. This will be my first Lotus and my experience is with boosted 4 cylinders. Pic of my tuned 400hp base TT:

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I’d do the 4. As stated the DCTs are amazing. Can be run in “auto” mode or more agressive modes as required. I suspect it will be fantastic. The only other consideration is that the Toyota stuff is bulletproof and in my experience Mercedes are wonderful but require a lot of maintenance.

Reactions: sjw91

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Not only are they great for the everyday with paddles if you want to assume control but they are the superior transmission for track usage at this juncture.

Anyone that thinks the Emira market will be different than the Evora market just hasn't been around the brand long enough. In one sentence the complaint (or complement) depending on your personal side of the argument is that the Emira is just a rebodied Evora. All with very logical reasons, some folks decided to scoop up a GT. If my 11S was starting to show its age, that would have been me, but seen as I just did the big refresh, I kept it. After 3 Evora, I decided to wait for a new bodystyle. Frankly I adore my Evora but the new Emira may be the prettiest car released in a LONG, LONG TIME. But, if I run into a sweetheart deal on a GT IPS hanging around in a year or 2.........that could carry me over till the final V6 release if my 11S gets tired after 100-150 track days, or a nephew gets the cash for it...................

Frankly don't see many Evora being tracked like a few years back in my neck of the woods. Same can be said for Elise.
Again, look up Hethelsport video of Collichio putting an IPS car through its paces. On track its pretty damn impressive, enough so that it WILL be my tranny of choice in an Emira. As said, it is Toyota bulletproof at this point. But you can always choose the AMG DCT and inherit the repair bills associated with the brand.........

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,519 Posts
If Jubu figures out DCT mode on V6 Emira, it would be the best of the both worlds
Unfortunately it is not a "Mode" thing. As @agentdr8 states, it is a completely different transmission that would need to be installed. It does sound like a pricey option indeed.

Reactions: SuHong Kim

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unfortunately it is not a "Mode" thing. As @agentdr8 states, it is a completely different transmission that would need to be installed. It does sound like a pricey option indeed.
Yeah I was refering to that. It's VW 7 speed swapping out original Camry 6 speed so I can definitely see why it's so expensive.

Would be interesting to see how different ECU and rear subframe is to the older Lotus

·
Registered
301 Posts
Agree. If based on auto transmission only, go with the I4 for the DCT.
Agreed +2. If you're getting an auto, go with the i4 turbo dual clutch auto. It'll be a blast and shifts lightning fast.

My GTI is DSG (VW's dual clutch) and I actually tuned the TCU (transmission control unit) to up AND down shift even faster, optimize shift points in various drive modes, program launch control, increase clutch torque limits, etc... It's really cool what modern auto boxes are capable of.

Reactions: lion shf

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
638 Posts
Having owned an 8S TT, with its excellent DSG, I can't imagine owning an IPS. If it's not dual clutch or a ZF 8 Speed i don't want it. But also, part of the draw for me is the reliability of the Toyota 2GR, and it's engine note, the AMG sounds like it could be a bigger money pit. I'm happy with my decision to go back to manual.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts