The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would that imply that I could take the Elise to my local Toyota dealership for routine maintence?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Excellent question.

To me, if it is not a warranty issue, I would take it to a trusted Toyota mechanic. Anyone know how Lotus handles that? Do you have to use their assigned service shops?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I imagine Lotus would want us to bring the Elise to offical dealers, consider their attempts to upgrade and expand their dealer network. That being said, I would expect oil changes or engine services on the Elise to be expensive.

As an alternative, I'm sure they are a lot of good independant Toyota mechanics. I'd probably would be a little leery if they had to makes some sort of computer adjustments.

I visited the dealer today and he said that we should be able to use racing parts from TRD. Asides from internal engine parts, I'm wondering how air filters, exhausts, headers, etc from the Toyota engines can be used in the Elise is the engine bay is different from the Celica. I guess someone's going to have to modify those parts for the Elise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well being a minimum of 9.5 hours from a dealer I've already been advised that LotusUSA will authorize sublet warranty and maintenance work for owners not conveniently located near an authorized dealer. So absolutely if it's a Toyota engine I'd go to a local Toyota dealer -:)

--Bob

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Bob A (SD) said:
I've already been advised that LotusUSA will authorize sublet warranty and maintenance work for owners not conveniently located near an authorized dealer.
OMG! That' is really, really good customer relations on behalf of Lotus! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Allan, that's the word I got via a dealer who said he checked with LotusUSA and have no reason to doubt that it's straight skinny -:)

--Bob

·
Registered
637 Posts
Your friendly toyota mechanic will be able to give you an oilchange, new filter and spark plugs and so on as those are all toyota parts he'll recognize. He might complain a bit about having to undo 15 bolts to get at those parts though.... and as for the lotus-specific parts (brakes,bodywork,electrics,suspension,geometry,etc) it'll be down to how handy he is with the lotus parts manual and service guide I guess.

Craigy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeh, for little stuff like fluid changes, filters, plugs, brakes, and so on, I like to do it all me self. Do Elises like synthetic oil, and does Lotus allow grease monkeys to touch their own cars while under warranty?

Hopefully visiting the dealer for major service would not be a regular occurrence (knock, knock).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'm also hoping that some day someone with a kind heart and access to a Elise shop manual will put it on line as a resource for those far away from a Lotus dealer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My lotus dealer uses only Castrol GTX magnatec - if you want to use anything fancier than that you supply your own. I run my car harder than most so I usually change oil and filter myself in between normal services (regular services are every 9k). GTX magnatec is, if I recall correctly, a 5w/40 oil and is semi synthetic (please check this before making a decision as I'm not positive).

The toyota lump will, I guess, have it's own preferences. Best person to ask is someone with a vvt celica I guess!

You can get an S1 parts and service manual online here: http://www.brooke-kensington.co.uk/pabo4.htm

I've not seen an S2 version though I know Lotus sell a paper version for about £75 per document.

Craigy

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I really hope that Lotus will ask people in specific regions if they have preferences as to who works on their car. My SO works for Volvo and he and I used to race for the local mazda dealer and as such I know many people at many dealerships thruout this area.

Some of the tech's at dealerships are morons. There are only two shops here in town I would trust my car to, and neither are dealers. We do most of our own repairs here at home, but Im not adept at rebuilding tranny's and dont have a machine shop.

But of course I WILL utilize warranty work if needed.

Oh well, we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts