The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this mean my odometer reading is 8% higher than it should be? Or my 0-60 is really not 4.9secs? My mpg is really 8% crappier? Seems like its more than just speed that's misinformed...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Correct, your 0-60 is not 4.9 seconds if you are measuring from the speedometer. You need a GPS-based data acquisition system to measure this accurately.

The speedometer error in the Lotus is reportedly a European margin of safety that affects only the speedometer. Your odometer is probably not being affected by the built-in speedometer safety margin.

That said, even your odometer is only ever an approximation because it assumes the circumference of your front wheel is fixed and never changes. But we all know the tire circumference changes with wear, temperature, pressure, and different sized tires.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We did a practice run for a time trial Rally (I missed the actually Rally the following weekend due to other commitments that worked out really well I might add) and what I found was that while my speedo is 6% off my odometer was spot on, Like near as makes no difference perfect. If the map said there should be a turn off at 34.7 km then there was the turn off at 34.7km on the odometer. Speed change sign board at 46.5 km then there was a sign board at 46.5 km. After 60 km the trip total was the same as my odometer. Was very impressed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
That said, even your odometer is only ever an approximation because it assumes the circumference of your front wheel is fixed and never changes. But we all know the tire circumference changes with wear, temperature, pressure, and different sized tires.
Pretty sure the odometer is based on the number of rotations of the *rear* wheel.

;)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am so embarrassed, Lotus owners making 5 and 10 cent payoffs. I bet the Porsche forums do 25 and 30 cent payoffs and Ferrari forums round up to the nearest dollar. Then again, the Ford forums are full of people putting in their 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts