The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The logic behind it just amazes me...

"It's ok for us to go into their home with guns and hunt them, but it's not ok for them to attack us."

I see no difference between that, and a murderer who goes into someone's house with intentions of killing their child, and kills them when they attempt to defend their child.

I do feel bad for the guy who got attacked though... that bear knocked out the only 4 teeth he had :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Scott later told his wife....the bear made no sounds -- no grunting or growling. "It was definitely coming after him to hurt him," she said. "It was coming at him with his mouth open."

Well, apparently, the bear is a better hunter than he was. :D

Maybe he should take up fishing?

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/shortfin.htm

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am a fan of hunting. That way I am not a victim of all the crap that the meat industry feeds animals.

However, I am not a trophy hunter. You can't eat the antlers so why pack them out if you don't have to. (Due to size restrictions, we now have to pack out the antlers from the area where I moose hunt.)

That being said, I have no problems with animals hunting back.

The only time I feel that animals need to be destroyed is when they get too close to peoples' homes. And for those of you who don't agree with that, think about how you'd feel if a pack of hungry wolves was hanging out around your local elementary school at recess time.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lumn8r said:
I am a fan of hunting. That way I am not a victim of all the crap that the meat industry feeds animals.

However, I am not a trophy hunter. You can't eat the antlers so why pack them out if you don't have to. (Due to size restrictions, we now have to pack out the antlers from the area where I moose hunt.)

That being said, I have no problems with animals hunting back.

The only time I feel that animals need to be destroyed is when they get too close to peoples' homes. And for those of you who don't agree with that, think about how you'd feel if a pack of hungry wolves was hanging out around your local elementary school at recess time.
If animals are hanging too close to your home, then you built your home too close to the animals and should move if you don't like it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
If animals are hanging too close to your home, then you built your home too close to the animals and should move if you don't like it.
Due to modern conservation efforts and overdevelopment many animals are spotted in more urban areas. Where I grew up (woods of west PA) bears are becoming a much more common sight. Wolves are becoming more common around the west/midwest where they have been reintroduced. And with urban sprawl we are continuosly getting closer to their homes.

It sucks but stories of man and animal doing bad things to each other are just going to increase. Well, until the Rapture... ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Lumn8r said:
...how you'd feel if a pack of hungry wolves was hanging out around your local elementary school at recess time.
Hey!! Leave us perverts out of this!

Oh, I'm sorry. Thought you said High Schools.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
And sometimes, it's the others that force them to you house.

My house in Northern Virginia backs some fairly dense woods and the creek. It's always had some wild animals, but lately it's gotten more. The areas around my neighborhood are being rapidly developed, so the animals are becoming more concentrated. We often have deer in the back yard (my wife's attempts at planting a garden are aways eaten), foxes, raccoons, endangered birds, rabbits, and many others. The only ones we've had troubles with are the beavers. The county decided that they need to "reintroduce" them to the area. They destroy much of the trees, brush, and all the rest of the animals habitat, then get washed out during the next heavy rainstorm. Then they build a new dam 50-100 yards farther upstream, destroying even more trees, etc. The cycle kept repeating until someone killed the beavers (no, not me, but I was thinking about it). Now, than goodness, things are returning to normal, with lots of animals again... We recently had a wild bear in the neighborhood, but they captured in and moved it to the mountains.

As for bears in the wild, the only time I've ever encountered one, I was 20 miles into the wilderness backpacking. We were walking along the trail (I was in the lead), and when I turned around to tell the others to catch up, a bear came out of the brush about 5 feet behind them. He stood up on his back legs, looked at us hikers, and turned the other way and walked down the trail. We we're bothering him - he didn't bother us. I suspect that in the case reported above, the hunter probably got between a mother and her cub - they get very aggressive in that situation, but otherwise, bears are usually pretty passive...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
grizzlies have only ventured into the jackson area the last few years if i recall correctly. they have slowly moved south from yellowstone. when i photographed in the tetons there previously has not been concern about grizzles. it ain't the case no mo'

·
Registered
971 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Not necessarily. There are a lot of species that are expanding their range. Back when I moved to Alaska in the '70s coyotes were almost unheard of. Now they are plentiful enough in areas to be a problem. A lot of the other animals have 10 - 20 year population cycles that affect the territory that they use as well.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Great. Looks like the word's out. They're hunting humans now. The brazenness is just amazing!

“The crocodile walked into the tent and dragged the man out,” said Stephen Pemberthy from the Royal Flying Doctor Service, which airlifted the injured campers to hospital.
Taken from:
"60-year-old jumps on crocodile to save man"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6230852/?GT1=5472

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
agent.5 said:
But we don't have a happy ending, the misunderstood croc was shot dead.
Only because someone was around who was able to aim and pull the trigger.....unlike the "hunter" in the first post. ;) (joking).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts