The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read from britiish magazine it will give the Elise a good run for the money and that might be more a suitable car for the US configuration. Heavier, but better sound insulation and amenities.

the 2.0L turbo is impressive, producing 184lb/ft torque below 2000rpm, thats huge amount of torque for that little car plus its turbo means you just need to turn up the boost since its running low boost anyways

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Weight! Weight! this is ALL about weight.
The closer the car is to 1400lbs :) , the more I'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adamant said:
Weight! Weight! this is ALL about weight.
The closer the car is to 1400lbs :) , the more I'll enjoy it.
The Euro Spec Elise is almost 1800lbs with the VX220 for slightly more than 2000lbs. US Elise is likely to be at least 1900lbs +

Actually on the boost of the VX220 Turbo you will have easily a 250hp 250lb/ft torque car with just 2000lbs (thats almost 911 Turbo torque to weight ratio) Acceleration on freeway will be effortless and out run the likes of Corvettes etc

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If it tops 1900lbs I'll be rethinking my decision to purchase one. It needs to be a road legal RACE car. If it turns out to be another MR2 what is the point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The US spec car probably top 1900lb with Airbags, ABS, comfort features thats why they fitted with a more powerful motor in it.

MR2 spyder is 2200lb++ and very underpowered

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Everything I have read so far does not indicate a weight above 1900 pounds. I hear that it will still be under 1800 pounds. But who knows?

The Elise is not about power/weight. It's about weight period. The lower mass means great handling characteristics and a very nimble car.

Otherwise, I recommend the Z06 Corvette as it is a great car for performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People got it because its a Lotus. You could just strip down a miata mr spyder and put a turbo in there and it will be close. Corvette is a performer but many people dont want it just because its a Chevy. Come on, how many of you really do track runs? I doubt very highly the Elise will be very close in weight as the old Euro Spec. In order for the car to be a hit Lotus will do some compromise. As pure extreme track car the elise might not be popular. Many people will prefer a more powerful engine in there in lieu of slight increase weight 1800lb vs 1900lbs is not much if you can compensate by higher torque output. So with VX Turbo kind of compromise and extra suspension tunning you are there. 1900lb is still 3000lb-400lb than a MR spyder. The key is probably the tuning.

Randy Chase said:
Everything I have read so far does not indicate a weight above 1900 pounds. I hear that it will still be under 1800 pounds. But who knows?

The Elise is not about power/weight. It's about weight period. The lower mass means great handling characteristics and a very nimble car.

Otherwise, I recommend the Z06 Corvette as it is a great car for performance.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Best guess at this point is we're goig to add 150 lbs from the Euro version. Compared to anything else available to us, it's going to be a good 300lbs lighter. But weight is only part of it, along with the very stiff chassis & suspension setup handling is going to be in a whole different ballpark.

Have driven a MR2 Turbo for over 12yrs. From a handling stand point would rather have the NA for the Elise, the turbo lag would take away from it strength. With a 6sp m/t and a bit of Lotus tuning (plus the Elise light weight) feel like the Toyota motor we're getting would be a better match. Adding a turbo, I/C with a bigger displacement motor would be a tight fit with added weight.

Lotus only needs this to be a big enough hit to sell 1500-2500 yr. That 2.0l turbo may make into the Elise but not likely in it's first few years here.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think if they brought it over with a 130hp motor, they would sell all the allotment.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry but I disagree. I don't really care about the name. It is the concept of a VERY low weight road legal RACE CAR. If Lotus fall for the reasons you have given there will be LESS market for the vehicle. I don't want a lot of power otherwise why not just shove a dmn V8 in there and be done with it. People do that with 914's. The whole poin t as Randy said is weight!
To be honest if the options were a 1700lb car and 190hp or a 1400lb car with 160hp
I'd pick the 1400lb car as it would be better in turns and beter in straight acceleration.
Sorry man, not everything is about hp and I believe Lotus is one of the very few companies that know that to be true.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Absolutely, normally-aspirated for me. I decided a long time ago that I don't want a turbo, because of the inherent lag. The Elise is not about straight-line speed, never has been, never will be. Anyone who thinks it is has simlpy not done their homework. Read the books, watch the videos, lurk on the U.K. Elise sites. To try to make it into a "lead-sled" would be to ruin it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
burburlulu said:
Come on, how many of you really do track runs?
Those that know Mr. Chase will verify that he does a LOT of track work. :) Well, maybe not this year...slacker.

But yeah, I think there are two major US markets for the Elise. The performance bunch and the looks bunch. The performance bunch is wanting a light, fast and interesting car. The looks bunch, well, what can I say about those ding-dongs? :p However, I'd be willing to bet that LoA will sell far more cars to the looks bunch than the performance bunch so I won't be too surprised to see it come in a bit porky.

Makes me appreciate my shifter kart even more. Who can argue with 200 lbs? :)

-la

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove the VX220 Turbo a few days ago and here are my impressions for what they are worth (after 70000 miles of driving an early Elise S1)

My impressios were:

1. I sat on the car rather than in it - way too much padding on the drivers seat and my head hit the roof (hartop fitted)

2. Seemed to understeer in slow corners like the Elise S2 or maybe a tad more. Lots of grunt let you ballance this out. On less tight bends if you get the entry speed right, it is all very neutral and inspires more confidence the harder you push. Best suited to hoofing round corners you know well rather than twisties you don't !

3. Throttle/turbo lag was noticeable and I really missed being able to just twitch my foot to unsettle the back. Throttle pedal seemed to need big prods to have an effect. Just not sharp enough.

4. The engine has power in spades - if it could deliver this with the throttle response of the K then it would be ideal ....... but it doesn't

5. I wasn't keen on the styling but would live with that if the engine had been right.

6. Boot space was pathetic even by Elise standards - 25% less than our S1 and a real challenge for anyone heading off for a fortnight

BOTTOM LINE:

Nice track day weapon with the correct suspension mods but not for me on the twisty mountain stuff I like to visit.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yuk. Everything I hate about a website. Completly useless graphics and animation. Lots of bandwidth and very little content. I am still left wondering how much does it weigh. Suppose I could figure it out from their 215 hp per tonne

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Funny. I was not impressed with the video either.

Okay, so the guy is doing donuts. I see examples of oversteer and understeer. Not much performance stuff. And then they borrowed the old thing about stopping at the car designer's legs. That has been done before and is all flash, no substance (and not that well done).

Of course, it's easy to be a critic. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts