The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,712 Posts
By that rationale, the special paint color should cost the price of a new car, since all those coats and layers have to be placed on smooth sheet metal, mounted on a chassis, with an engine, and wheels...

The point is, there is cost saved from not painting whatever the default paint is. The $3k is not to pay for an entire paint job.
Whatever dude you just made my brain hurt with whatever you just tried to say…

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'd be willing to wager a fair sum that some of these comments are coming from people who have no earthly idea of how much a gallon of high-end, custom-tinted paint costs. Compared to a production paint that is purchased in bulk.

Seriously, this is hurting my brain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd be willing to wager a fair sum that some of these comments are coming from people who have no earthly idea of how much a gallon of high-end, custom-tinted paint costs. Compared to a production paint that is purchased in bulk.

I didn't say 3k is enough to pay for the differences. I merely pointed out the original 3k figure (not written by me) was not to cover the entire cost of a paint job, just the differential cost. Maybe it's not enough, but that's a different argument.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Administrator
7,536 Posts

Yes just look at a three stage with primer cost for paint alone much less proper prep initially and between coats. Looking at House of Kolor gives me a headache between choices unlike what I paid recently for two part Awlgrip for boats even with that at the high end of paints.

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
By that rationale, the special paint color should cost the price of a new car, since all those coats and layers have to be placed on smooth sheet metal, mounted on a chassis, with an engine, and wheels...

The point is, there is cost saved from not painting whatever the default paint is. The $3k is not to pay for an entire paint job.
You're not just paying for the additional cost of paint (which can be significant), but also the additional time for multiple layers, additional risk that if something isn't perfect it's a full respray. I'm not saying $8k is cheap, but you're talking about a major company shutting down their assembly line to paint the car in your choice of color.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Stryker Red. The depth they created with this ~$15k upgrade was unbelievable! Custom paint can be insane. Porsche charged upwards of $50k for the Liquid Chrome Blue paint! That color is beautiful on the right body.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're not just paying for the additional cost of paint (which can be significant), but also the additional time for multiple layers, additional risk that if something isn't perfect it's a full respray. I'm not saying $8k is cheap, but you're talking about a major company shutting down their assembly line to paint the car in your choice of color.

Sure, I agree 3k may not be enough. I don't doubt that at all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
believe it or not a factory paint job with paint correction and Ceramic Pro makes a big difference . out of pocket cost 500-1000 .Viper looks amazing
if the NG could look half as good as this photo shop pic !

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you look back at the car Lotus of Naples sold in last year or two you'll see some pretty wild colors. They were even ordering for the floor not just for customer spec.
Yup.. The green one I posted even had custom green stitching inside. One of a kind for sure!

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Registered
2022 Lotus Emira
259 Posts
Verde Ithica is my dream paint. It's a clone of Lambo's Verde Ithaca and a $8100 "bespoke" paint option on the Evora GT. I actually contacted Lotus and asked what I need to do to get this on my Emira and they flat out said it's not gonna happen. I guess their fancy new paint shop isn't advanced enough to offer us anything but the 6 FE colors for now.. :rolleyes:

That's my choice as well. Here's what I was going to buy before Emira... and the paint here was over $14k option, don't ask about the rest of the options! Anyway, this is what I want my Emira to look like as well.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Car seat cover

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
View attachment 1299396

Stryker Red. The depth they created with this ~$15k upgrade was unbelievable! Custom paint can be insane. Porsche charged upwards of $50k for the Liquid Chrome Blue paint! That color is beautiful on the right body.
I'd imagine a paint job like that has no orange peal like a lot of new cars have. There's a local guy around here that has a midnight blue paint job on his lead sled that looks like it's 10ft deep. He rarely drives it but damn of isn't beautiful.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm sure their new automated paint system can paint anything, but they now have to make so many more cars than before, they probably can't afford the down-time to clear, clean and setup the system just to shoot one color, then go through all that again to reload it for the regular production run colors. Something else to keep in mind; those beautiful colors are not one-spray paints. When you look at any of those paint sample images on HoK, click on it and it will show you all the paint components and processes needed to achieve that final look. There's a reason why some of these colors cost so much to put on a car.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts