The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days, a lot of people on this forum have been a little bit iffy about the supposed 70k price tag on the evora. But, according to Edmunds Inside Line, there is a farrrrrrrr worse offender in vehicle overpricing: Porsche.

Edmunds says they have heard what the pricing will be for the Porsche Panamera, and if you haven't already heard, you may be in shock. For the base 6 cylinder, the Panamera will supposedly run for: $127,000... :crazyeyes
And thats just the base model! The high-end Panamera is supposed to cost $198,000!

With this pricing, even after accounting for inflation, the Panamera will be the most expensive normally aspirated 6 cyl. car of all time :eek:

so, am i the only one who thinks the evora is dirt cheap now? :rolleyes:

Link to the video I heard this info from: New Camaro and Porsche, Buy 1 Get 1 Free Cars.Farah ~vs~ Parente | Garage419 - Car guys love to argue. Let the debate rage!

·
Banned
874 Posts
is it even worth 127k?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
people actually dont give a crap that the evora has 6 cylinders
if it had 4 or 8 people would still be complaining(including myself)
the reason we are complaining is it weighs 3000lbs and only has 280hp... doesnt matter where the 280hp comes from its still 280hp

·
Registered
127 Posts
6 cyl in the panamera ? believe that base model will be n/a V8, then turbo V8 and in 2010 the V10 from the the Gt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they're both overpriced and under powered... Your point?
i think my point is pretty clear; try reading the thread title, maybe? :shrug:
oh, and i could also help you out by highlighting the important parts of my post... :thwack:

seriously man, all I was stating was an interesting little factoid about how overpriced the Panamera is, which in turn makes the Evora seem almost... well, reasonable. and you felt the need to flame me... why? :confused:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
i think my point is pretty clear; try reading the thread title, maybe? :shrug:
oh, and i could also help you out by highlighting the important parts of my post... :thwack:

seriously man, all I was stating was an interesting little factoid about how overpriced the Panamera is, which in turn makes the Evora seem almost... well, reasonable. and you felt the need to flame me... why? :confused:
Flamed? That's a stretch; I merely commented to state that justifying one overpriced under powered car by pointing out another even more over priced under powered car makes little sense.

Lotus needs to step up their game. Whether or not you like the GT-R's looks, no one can argue it's performance or bang for buck value. Why can't Lotus do likewise?

I want to like this car, but it lacks too much: Not as pretty as the Elise, not as light as we would like, too under powered to be as fast as we would hope, too small to have usable back seats, ingress/egress will still be a challenge as the sills are still quite high.

If the Evora is meant to be a GT car then I think it very safe to say it will fail miserably in that role. GT means Grand Tourer. That conjures up a vision of a comfortable well appointed luxurious car that is also fast and can handle... And it's OK for GT cars to be big and or heavy. To my eyes I don't see the level of refinement that a GT car requires in the Evora.

Have you looked at the poll that someone posted? More than 60% of us have no interest in buying one. Don't think there will be anywhere near the level of success the Elise experienced when it was launched.

It is a car that is unfocused... Lotus can do better.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Have you looked at the poll that someone posted? More than 60% of us have no interest in buying one. Don't think there will be anywhere near the level of success the Elise experienced when it was launched.
Well, this is not the market they were going for. The aim was to expand the market beyond the hard core which we all (mostly) are. If in fact, 40% of existing owners here want the new car, that would be a huge success.

Also, they do not intend on having the same success as the Elise when it was first launched. They only plan on selling 600-700 cars in the first year.

p.s. Kinda surprised anyone looks at cost/cylinder. I only look at cost/performance. Reminds me of those that are disappointed to find out the Elise is ONLY 4 cylinder. Seriously?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the evora is going to be fine. it is a fantastic achievement from lotus. it will be fast enough where you need it to be, handle like a Lotus, and have exclusivity that few other marques can offer.

if you don't get what lotus ownership os about, don't buy it.

shelling a car that has not been released yet is silly.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well, this is not the market they were going for. The aim was to expand the market beyond the hard core which we all (mostly) are. If in fact, 40% of existing owners here want the new car, that would be a huge success.

Also, they do not intend on having the same success as the Elise when it was first launched. They only plan on selling 600-700 cars in the first year.

p.s. Kinda surprised anyone looks at cost/cylinder. I only look at cost/performance. Reminds me of those that are disappointed to find out the Elise is ONLY 4 cylinder. Seriously?
I have noticed over the years that Randy's posts tend to be spot-on. I remember the Elise 4-cyl thing like it was yesterday. Chit, I shook my head myself before I learned how light it was.

Like he said, the Evora is for a different crowd. I suspect anyone who has taken to the Elise will end up thinking that the Evora feels like a schoolbus. I just can't see the car being as thrilling as the Elise/Exige. However, I certainly wish Lotus success with it. Now, if we could just get the new Esprit going... :evil:

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Yep, it surprised me to see this posted here of all places.

It's a very typical American mentality to think that bigger/more is ALWAYS better.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Randy, not sure if you where addressing me, but I never mentioned cylinders or displacement.

FYI for those that don’t know: I am British, born in London, waited two years for the Elise and was the first person in Pittsburgh to take ownership.
I would really love to love this car. I just think Lotus can do better and needs to bring their "A" game.

And BTW what was wrong with the M250?:wallbang:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
what he said above... comparing cylinders to cost does'nt compute with me. I think Porsche already had the most expensive 6cyl with the GT3. Would'nt the Exige S 240 be the most expensive 4 cyl?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nope. Base model is the Volkswagen V6. For $127K. Really.
Yep your right :D checked with the dealer though a colleague who has one (V8) on order, and yes the V8 n/a (in Switzerland) will be about 200k US (depending on options) and hybrid is also on the cards, and depending on emission laws (the reason for the V6 and the hybrid apparently, since authorities look at overall production, another reason for Porsche buying VW ?) the V10 may be scratched...jeez :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts