The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't have to take apart any of the headliner/A-pillar/glove box for this install and you cannot see any of the wiring. The headliner is pretty loose and you can easily shove the wire under it, and there is rubber door seal/weather stripping down the side that you can easily tuck the wire under. Only the passenger footwell plate needs to be removed in order to access the fuse box.

I'm using the Garmin 45 dash cam with the Garmin Parking Mode wiring kit. This allows the dash cam to utilize Parking mode, which records when there's motion or vibration even when the car is off/you are parked and not in the car. For this to work, it just requires one constant 12v source and one 12v Accessory source to be tapped. I used the radio constant 12v fuse and the cigarette lighter fuse for accessory power.

I'm also changing out the factory head unit which is total garbage (more on that later).

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
856 Posts
The headliner on my S1 was VERY tight and it was a bit of a struggle to get the wire underneath, but aside from that, agreed, very easy to install and good protection in case someone else drives like a ding bat. I cheated on my install because I replaced the head unit and there was a USB port on the back I used to power the camera. I didn’t want the camera to drain my battery while parked, so I’m very happy with the setup. If I wanted full park mode, you’re right that the fuse box is right there. I went with a Viofo A119 V2 for my camera for the capacitor and lack of suction cup mount. There’s a new V3 that has a better night mode and higher resolution for a few extra bucks. Either way, there’s almost no excuse to not install one in an Evora.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have the same concern with the battery drain in park mode, but the garmin website says its 'minimal' and you can set a timer to turn it off after parking. Still a concern but I have the car on a battery tender at home and usually am not out for days at a time so hopefully its ok. They have more info on it on their website here: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=16JHZTTniZ66tr4NvYzgd5

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did the exact same thing with my Evora 400, was really easy to tuck the wires right under the lining, and then through the door seals to a wire to power the back camera as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts