The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have an extra ignition key cut for a '98MY. I've searched and chased a lot of either dead-ends or vague "yes, I had one cut with a brand "X" key" kind of answer and nothing really definitive.

Has anyone had an extra key cut and if so what model, year blank is the "best fit"?

Best I've done so far is:
High Security Key Blank for Saab 900 - 1994 to 1998 S32YSP YM30P S32YS-P

It visually looks very close; however, I've not found a locksmith able to do a laser cut on the blank.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I believe you want a ym27 key blank.

I bought a pair of blanks for my esprit, but I can't find anyone to cut them either. Even though they call it a laser cutter, it has nothing to do with lasers. Basically, it is a router. I found the machine to do it, it is about $600.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe you want a ym27 key blank.

I bought a pair of blanks for my esprit, but I can't find anyone to cut them either. Even though they call it a laser cutter, it has nothing to do with lasers. Basically, it is a router. I found the machine to do it, it is about $600.
Hah; nice timing; I found a key cutter today that said he could do the job; he took my original and the blank and came back out front ten minutes later and said nope, cannot cut. I did not understand his terminology at the time; he said the job would require a "manual high security key duplicator". Now that I hear your description, I think that's what he was saying... it needs a router cut... not a laser and he did not know anyone local that had one.

Thanks for the follow up and clarification. I'll keep looking (and hope I don't lose my one and only key).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are these blanks the same for a 95 model?It took me a while but I did find a guy in Toronto that was able to cut mine.Not perfect as I do have to pull the key out a bit to make it work.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Jim,

You could be right. I was told 98, But I'm not positive. I do know that they started with the ym27 key in 93.5 though. Do you know anyone up your way who can cut these keys?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't but have never tried to find one either. The only time I ever got a spare, I ordered it from a dealer...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lotus4S -- did the replacement key, from Lotus. come pre-cut (if so, did it work?) or did you have to get it cut (copied) afterwards?
Did it have the transponder chip? - or did that come later?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Jim,

What dealer did you get a key from? I tried lotus cars usa in atlanta, prestige imports, and the orlando dealer. None of then could do anything about a key.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I originally got mine from Huntingridge Motors but they are no longer a Lotus dealer. I did speak with the gentleman there and he suggested AutoSport designs in NY (631) 425-1555 or Newport European Motorcars 888-474-0416 in Ca. They are both Lotus dealers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts