The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Success :nanner:
After several months of trial and effort trying to get the correct key blank, several purchases of blanks on ebay that did not work. I finally found the correct blank and had it cut from my original key, it fits perfectly. The key was $6.50 plus shipping an had it cut at Ace Hardware $1.50.

The car: 1991 SE

The correct blank: Silca YM28P

The Canada Key Co. Ltd

The Canada Key Company Limited

514 693-9344

Attachments

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Thanks for this info. The profile of that key blank looks like my key for a '94. For $6.50 + shipping I'd give it a try but first does anybody here know if the ignition key blanks for SE's and s4's were the same.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
The Cross-Ref list on the TurboEsprit mail-list compiled by Dr. Hess lists that Silca YM28P for the SE, and the Ilco X211TR44 for the S4s. I can't tell if these are just alternate fitments or are unique to each car...please post back if you learn the answer.

BTW, if your S4s key provider asks "What's that from" :scratchhead: you can tell them it fits Saab 9000, Vauxhall Cavalier or Opel Ascona.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
If you don't mind not having the black plastic piece, I have always just gone down to ACE and my particular store has both the ignition and door/glove box keys.

Does the s4s use the same key on the door and ignition?

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
The Cross-Ref list on the TurboEsprit mail-list compiled by Dr. Hess lists that Silca YM28P for the SE, and the Ilco X211TR44 for the S4s. I can't tell if these are just alternate fitments or are unique to each car...please post back if you learn the answer.

Canada Key is out of stock of Ilco S thru Z. The pics above of the Silca are close but not identical to my S4 key. The stem of the S4 key is longer and narrower. So it seems not a match. I'll hunt for the Ilco.
BTW, Atwell are you going to New Hope in a couple of weeks? If so I'd like to meet up and say hello. KenV

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
If you don't mind not having the black plastic piece, I have always just gone down to ACE and my particular store has both the ignition and door/glove box keys.

Does the s4s use the same key on the door and ignition?
Thanks. My key works fine but it's the only one I have. A working spare is all I need. And, yes, one key for all.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Thanks. My key works fine but it's the only one I have. A working spare is all I need. And, yes, one key for all.
I believe the SE used the older Toyota key blank for the ignition.

For the S4s go to the hardware store and have them look up the key for the Saab 9000. If memory serves me right it should be a match

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Oh...forgot to mention ACE has been the place to get keys since my Europa days. They had the key for the Elan as well. My old timer hardware guy at my local ACE will eye ball the key blanks for you if you don't know the number. That something the big hardware stores will not do.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried both the TR40 and TR44 from Ilco, both Toyota blanks and had them cut, neither worked that was also true for the LF17 blank. You may want to checkout those blanks or the Silca YM27P which is a laser cut for the for the S4.

the door key for the SE is FT219

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I can confirm that the Silca YM28P is correct for the SE, at least those with an airbag. The S4 and S4s are quite different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts