The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Definately one of the coolest mods I have seen. Would you guys be willing to tell us how to wire this mod up?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
yeah, but you still need the key hanging in the ignition. Def track only.
Only to keep the steering wheel unlocked though right? You can remove the wheel lock, but from what I understand, it's not easy. Basically have to cut it off, based on robains' thread.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Uh-- did you two watch the video till the end? :)

He says to cut the metal part of the key off and stick it in the slot, and use a needle-nose to turn the ignition lock.

You can then leave it like that indefinitely...

·
Registered
5,158 Posts

He says to cut the metal part of the key off and stick it in the slot, and use a needle-nose to turn the ignition lock.

Ya duh dude, I'm talking about whether you even need the key or not, and that depends on whether you go through the trouble to remove the wheel lock. Lot easier to just cut the head off the key.

And of course you could even just leave the key in there without a key chain dangling, but some unkind friend would probably play a prank on you and steal it. :p

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ahhh, why is it always the simple things we never think of???

Spectacular mod. You would only have to carry around ur alarm fob and arm/disarm the alarm.

Now if you could make it so that it sences the fob and automatically shuts the alarm off when you get close to the car and back on when you walk away.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Just remember that these devices must use electrical power constantly to scan for the the "key", so even parked in your garage the system is using power to search for the key - not a good thing for a car with a marginal battery capability...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

thats kinda ghetto...

its much nicer to just remove the steering lock spring.. that way you dont have to remove the key cylinder at all... to do this you pull the plastic column cover and then look at the bottom of the key cylinder... there is a square metal plate that is pressed into the assembly... drill a small hole at one corner of the square and then use a large awl to pry out that metal square... this will allow you to remove the spring that holds the steering lock in place and permanently unlock the steering.

you caneven go one step further and put a small solenoid on the assembly and then hook it into the armed/disarmed output of the keyless entry device. that way the steering unlocks when you disarm and relocks when you arm...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bringing back an old thread from the dead (as I find having a key and starter button to be VERY redundant), I really like this mod, but had two thoughts.

1- would the alarm still arm with the car off, and key in? I think it should since the wires are rerouted, and the key is only being used for the steering lock

2- I respect Tim, but, I'm not sure he's right:

Just remember that these devices must use electrical power constantly to scan for the the "key", so even parked in your garage the system is using power to search for the key - not a good thing for a car with a marginal battery capability...
My key is not chipped, it's just a piece of metal, so why would this set up draw any more power/current than the stock configuration when off?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bringing back an old thread from the dead (as I find having a key and starter button to be VERY redundant), I really like this mod, but had two thoughts.

1- would the alarm still arm with the car off, and key in? I think it should since the wires are rerouted, and the key is only being used for the steering lock

My key is not chipped, it's just a piece of metal, so why would this set up draw any more power/current than the stock configuration when off?
bump!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Bringing back an old thread from the dead

<...>

Boy, this is an old thread...

Thanks for the respect, but I was not talking about re-wiring the car so you don't need the key, but about the links to the "wireless ignition" in the links.

From the web site for the first one:
Simply carry one of the systems RFID “Dawg Tags” with you. As you come into proximity of your vehicle, the system verifies your identity and authorizes your ignition. Then with just the “Push of a Button” your engine roars to life!
The system that uses the RFID tag has to use a transmitter in the car to send out the signal that the RFID "responds" to, and a receiver to "see" the response from the RFID. These transmitter/receivers (transceiver's?) use electrical power - constantly, otherwise it will never know when you approach the car.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Boy, this is an old thread...

Thanks for the respect, but I was not talking about re-wiring the car so you don't need the key, but about the links to the "wireless ignition" in the links.

From the web site for the first one:
The system that uses the RFID tag has to use a transmitter in the car to send out the signal that the RFID "responds" to, and a receiver to "see" the response from the RFID. These transmitter/receivers (transceiver's?) use electrical power - constantly, otherwise it will never know when you approach the car.
Ah, makes sense. Im still thinking about the op's mod, debating it on my dd exige.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts