The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, I am replacing the ignition switch on a 85 Esprit. The bolts holding the key switch is held together with what is called "Shear Bolts" How the heck to I remove them??

Another forum I was told to drill them out... if I do that how to I replace them?

Do I need to change out the whole column?

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Hi Jason,

Shear Bolts are just that, they are designed so that when tightened, the heads of the bolts break off.

This was a theft deterrent.

So yes, you have to drill them out. You can replace with new shear bolts if you value originality, or just use regular bolts (of the same thread, of course).

·
Registered
744 Posts
...if you can take the steering wheel out from the steering spline - then, bring the whole thing to the machine shop....that's the only way. He can always suggest a replacement bolts.
Drilling a grade 8 bolt can be a pain.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input,

Can I just replace number 13 in the diagram? Where the key goes in?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Is there anyway you could carefully dremel a grove through the top of the bolt to get some leverage to undo them?

It would take a while, but seems possible if you have the patience. The idea is that most theives don't have the time or patience to do that.

Also, I have these socket like things that have a sharp reverse spiral for taking out stripped bolts. Maybe something like that would be able to get enough of a grip of the edges.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That diagram is for a '90 and later Esprit with an airbag steering wheel.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
That diagram is for a '90 and later Esprit with an airbag steering wheel.
AND

Are not the the shear bolts #12?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly after much consideration I think it will actually be easier to replace the whole column. looks like no more than a few bolts and the whole thing comes out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts