The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, finally had the car out for some great spirited roads by me. Unfortunately the day ended a bit early. Stopped for a little break and then couldn't get it started again.

Key works in the hood (?), goes into ignition totally fine, and then turns but won't get to position I or II (thus unable to start or anything).

It's not the steering lock, as it gets past that and I'm able to turn the wheel. The immobilizer appears to be turned off, as I can lock/unlock door and light stops flashing when unlocked.

The only things I can think of are immobilizer issue that isn't apparent or the tumbler in the ignition is on its way out.

Any other thoughts? Think I'll start with the ignition. Car only has 60k miles on it and assume that's a Toyota part--seems weird that would crap out, but I guess it is still 16 years old?

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black Metallic, touring pack. Build date July 2, 2004, number 178
77 Posts
I dont know if my 05 has the same issue but when I bought mine in December of last year, the previous owner had to show me about this similar issue. My key turns slightly but also doesnt get into position I or II unless I push it in towards the column and then sometimes I have to rock it a bit to get it to finally move. The only way I can describe it is that it is just a feel thing. The first day I had my car I was showing it to a buddy of mine and he wanted to hear it start up. I sat there for what seemed like 10 mins just trying to get the key to turn. Once I got it figured out, now it is a no brainer. I pretty much dont even lock my car anymore when I park it as these things would be so hard to steal in my opinion between the immobilizer and the key issue.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
661 Posts
Does your happen to need to be "PUSHED" in? I couldnt get my car started for a while, then I was told that I needed to actually PUSH the key in for it to get into those positions. To help clarify, i mean you can just put the key in and turn, you insert the key, and then apply pressure and they key will move in about a quarter of a inch more and then allow you to turn it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Its possible that the electrical mechanism has jammed, you can take it apart easy and check, but be sure that you dont lose the tiny parts of youll be buying that part from elise parts! In the mean time you can very easily hot wire it if you have the key past the steering lock point by just making the connections in the electrical switch with some wires.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Lotus Elise
1,922 Posts
you can very easily hot wire it if you have the key past the steering lock point by just making the connections in the electrical switch with some wires.
I was going to be a smart ass and ask you if this is how you got your cars but though better of it. Sounds like if you are down to the connector level you would not even need the key. Just don't get pulled over, the wires hanging down might raise an eyebrow.... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
97 Posts
When went to cut a new key, the slightest difference made it unable to turn in my ignition. Needed about 5 attempts from a maker before it would turn. I think the doors are less strict as the key turned in the door after 2nd attempt.

My guess is try again with a second key if you've got it and check for any damage to the key or ignition lock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts